News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: alfred russel on August 07, 2014, 12:19:17 PM
That may happen in the US, Canada, and Europe in the not to distant future, but I think we are still going to have a shitload of gasoline powered cars operating in the world in 40-50 years. To keep things in perspective, I think that most people live in countries where significant parts of them don't have reliable power sources right now.

But those countries don't have very high levels of automobile penetration, except Brazil.

With one exception the bulk of car sales are still to US, Europe and Japan.  The exception is China, which is building out a very nice generation infrastructure and is making electric car production and usage a national priority.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

alfred russel

Quote from: Barrister on August 07, 2014, 12:27:34 PM
You can imagine something similar happening for electric cars.  With fast and efficient recharge stations you don't need a widespread power network.

I have a tough time imagining that in the next 40-50 years. It is one thing to put up a cell phone tower. It is quite another to develop a fast and efficient network of recharge stations. In many cases, an unreliable power system is already in place, with businesses relying on generators as backup. Do you construct a parallel power system, or fix what is in place already?

I'm also not sure where the political will and ability will come from to achieve this.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

alfred russel

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on August 07, 2014, 12:41:29 PM
The exception is China, which is building out a very nice generation infrastructure

:hmm:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: frunk on August 07, 2014, 11:46:25 AM
Oil is still an energy source even if all the whole world goes to electric cars.  There's nothing that says it has to be burned in cars instead of more efficient (and less polluting) oil plants.

It's not just energy.  People seem to forget that oil feeds a plethora of industrial products.  If we removed every oil-consuming energy source, there would still be more than enough demand to pump it out of the ground in large quantities.  Of course, this is an inconvenient fact for those who wish to pin the failures of alternative energy on Big Oil.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on August 07, 2014, 02:37:33 PM
Quote from: frunk on August 07, 2014, 11:46:25 AM
Oil is still an energy source even if all the whole world goes to electric cars.  There's nothing that says it has to be burned in cars instead of more efficient (and less polluting) oil plants.

It's not just energy.  People seem to forget that oil feeds a plethora of industrial products.  If we removed every oil-consuming energy source, there would still be more than enough demand to pump it out of the ground in large quantities.  Of course, this is an inconvenient fact for those who wish to pin the failures of alternative energy on Big Oil.

If by "large quantities" you mean about 60% less than now then you are correct.

QuotePetroleum products and their relative share of total U.S. petroleum consumption in 2013:

•Gasoline 46%
•Heating Oil/Diesel Fuel 20%
•Jet Fuel (Kerosene) 8%
•Propane/Propylene 7%
•NGL & LRG1 6%
•Still Gas 4%
•Petrochemical Feedstocks 2%
•Petroleum Coke 2%
•Residual/Heavy Fuel Oil 2%
•Asphalt and Road Oil 2%
•Lubricants 1%
•Miscellaneous Products/Special Naphthas 0.4%
•Other Liquids 1%
•Aviation Gasoline 0.1%
•Waxes 0.04%
•Kerosene 0.02%

http://www.eia.gov/tools/faqs/faq.cfm?id=41&t=6

derspiess

Quote from: alfred russel on August 07, 2014, 12:55:52 PM
Quote from: Barrister on August 07, 2014, 12:27:34 PM
You can imagine something similar happening for electric cars.  With fast and efficient recharge stations you don't need a widespread power network.

I have a tough time imagining that in the next 40-50 years. It is one thing to put up a cell phone tower. It is quite another to develop a fast and efficient network of recharge stations. In many cases, an unreliable power system is already in place, with businesses relying on generators as backup. Do you construct a parallel power system, or fix what is in place already?

I'm also not sure where the political will and ability will come from to achieve this.

More green jobs :contract:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on August 07, 2014, 03:29:39 PM

We spent over $1.5B over several years on state of the art scrubbers and other pollution controls at our coal-fired plants.  Shame you weren't there to stop all those welders, concrete workers and other skilled industrial laborers from earning a paycheck.  Douchebag.

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 07, 2014, 03:36:33 PM
Quote from: derspiess on August 07, 2014, 03:29:39 PM

We spent over $1.5B over several years on state of the art scrubbers and other pollution controls at our coal-fired plants.  Shame you weren't there to stop all those welders, concrete workers and other skilled industrial laborers from earning a paycheck.  Douchebag.

That's not enough.  We need MORE green jobs. 

I'm thinking along the lines of generous funding and guaranteed loans provided to solar energy startups. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

We have been over this: solar energy is not that green.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on August 07, 2014, 04:05:19 PM
We have been over this: solar energy is not that green.

It uses the sun!!

Ed Anger

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 06, 2014, 09:44:30 PM
I picked a primary care physician today.

Took the chick from Princeton and Dartmouth Med School over the Indian dude with the MBBS from Ganges University.  I regret nothing.

Time for a prostrate exam
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

MadImmortalMan

I would have gone with the Indian dude.  :P
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

The Brain

Quote from: Ed Anger on August 07, 2014, 05:27:29 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 06, 2014, 09:44:30 PM
I picked a primary care physician today.

Took the chick from Princeton and Dartmouth Med School over the Indian dude with the MBBS from Ganges University.  I regret nothing.

Time for a prostrate exam

:bleeding:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Syt

Went shopping today, as my cleaning lady was in today, and I don't like having someone clean around me while I play on the computer.

Most disturbing conversational snippet without context:
Girl, maybe 4 or 5: "So what happened, where is he now?"
Mom: "He was murdered."
End of conversation.
:unsure:

Teen summer fashion this season: hot pants with tank tops.  It does not look so good on 50-somethings with tanned, leathery, loose skin where less than half the buttock is covered.

A pale old woman on the subway had put cream on her skin that she looked like she was made from mother of pearl.

And there was a cute young woman, decently dressed, petite, who had her not small tatas squeezed into a much too small bra and pushed up so high she looked like a caricature.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

CountDeMoney

I miss my cleaning lady.  :(