News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: The Larch on March 25, 2013, 10:24:33 AM
Whaaaaaat? Spain is now more productive than Germany? Either it's time to gloat massively or that was terribly calculated.  :lol:

Actually not totally counterintuitive.  It's pretty common in countries that are suffering massive unemployment for the people who still have jobs to produce a shitload.

Eddie Teach

There has been a significant uptick in burrito consumption at the cost of fried chicken since moving to California.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Larch

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 25, 2013, 10:29:30 AM
Quote from: The Larch on March 25, 2013, 10:24:33 AM
Whaaaaaat? Spain is now more productive than Germany? Either it's time to gloat massively or that was terribly calculated.  :lol:

Actually not totally counterintuitive.  It's pretty common in countries that are suffering massive unemployment for the people who still have jobs to produce a shitload.

If that's the reason then Portugal is trully fucked.

DGuller

:yes: Fear of getting laid off certain aids that, ahem, production.

alfred russel

Quote from: DGuller on March 25, 2013, 10:40:15 AM
:yes: Fear of getting laid off certain aids that, ahem, production.

The classic reason is that the first people to hit the unemployment line are the less productive employees. The result is that the average productivity for those with jobs goes up.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Admiral Yi

:bleeding:

I call up Netzero to cancel my account (about a year overdue) and first they put me on hold for 10 minutes, and when I finally get through they have to pitch me three seperate free for one month services before they finally, mercifully let me go.

garbon

I didn't realize NetZero still existed. :blush:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

MadImmortalMan

So Lebanon's government is kaput I guess. Wasn't the PM Hamas-backed?
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

MadImmortalMan

Uh...that's for my voice lessons. Yeah.

A Canadian voice coach is creating a buzz with his unusual technique of using vibrators to help his students hit the high notes.

University of Alberta drama professor David Ley uses the sex toys to massage the throats of actors and singers.

"I know it's a bit different. I know there's a giggle factor, but it works. It relaxes tension in the larynx, it improves range and projection," he told MetroNews.ca.

He was looking for an alternative to massaging the larynx by hand, for people who hate the feel of fingers on their throat, when he discovered the technique.

That led him to a sex shop where he found some vibrators that had a frequency around 100 and 120 hertz, the range of the human voice. He tried some on a student with good results.

"Not only did it free tension in the laryngeal muscles, but it seemed to stimulate vibrations in the vocal folds," Prof Ley told said.

"What I'm trying to do is to help the person hit that high note or harness their emotional energy.

"Hopefully, like any good training tool, it's something that gets you somewhere and helps you maintain it, but once you're there, you're there."

fhdz

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on March 25, 2013, 04:11:42 PM
"Hopefully, like any good training tool, it's something that gets you somewhere and helps you maintain it, but once you're there, you're there."

:D Indeed!
and the horse you rode in on

MadImmortalMan

So there's this big pack of auditors from the government visiting the office atm. Five of them I think. I think it's a condition of the business we do with them. My question is, why are they all here? All of our financial systems are specifically built so that our employees all across the country can access and use them. It would be the easiest thing in the world for us to simply give these dudes access from DC. But no, Uncle Sam has to blow the extra cash and burn the extra fossil fuels to fly them all here so they can blow their salaries on hookers and blackjack.

garbon

That doesn't really seem like a question. :hmm:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: garbon on March 25, 2013, 06:47:11 PM
That doesn't really seem like a question. :hmm:

Well, there might be a good reason for it. I just don't know what it is.

Neil

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on March 25, 2013, 06:45:00 PM
So there's this big pack of auditors from the government visiting the office atm. Five of them I think. I think it's a condition of the business we do with them. My question is, why are they all here? All of our financial systems are specifically built so that our employees all across the country can access and use them. It would be the easiest thing in the world for us to simply give these dudes access from DC. But no, Uncle Sam has to blow the extra cash and burn the extra fossil fuels to fly them all here so they can blow their salaries on hookers and blackjack.
Executives get perks.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Phillip V

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on March 25, 2013, 06:45:00 PM
Taxpayer recently flew me to Germany for 2 weeks of "training" and "consulting". :showoff: