Pope's environmental encyclical: Climate Change a product of human selfishness

Started by The Larch, June 19, 2015, 10:25:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 22, 2015, 01:12:15 PM
Quote from: viper37 on June 22, 2015, 01:05:47 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on June 22, 2015, 10:38:22 AM
How is it easier to dodge a carbon tax on an end product like the gas pump for example.  I am asking for a friend.
how do you dodge sales tax at the gas pump?

You don't.  That's my point.  I am not sure why you think there is a good analogy with income tax.

Well... there is a way.  It's a bit convoluted though and involves a quite a bit of fraud.  The customer isn't dodging the tax, but a third party can by setting up dummy gas dealers.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

crazy canuck

Quote from: Grey Fox on June 22, 2015, 01:16:45 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on June 22, 2015, 12:17:30 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on June 22, 2015, 11:47:37 AM
A noble goal but what if the means destroy the middle class economy?

How does that destroy something called a middle class economy?

When the price of gas at the pump goes up, the middle class stays home. When the Middle class stays home all facets of the economy suffers.

That didn't happen in BC when the carbon tax was imposed. 

The Brain

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 22, 2015, 01:23:08 PM

When the price of gas at the pump goes up, the middle class stays home. When the Middle class stays home all facets of the economy suffers.

That was a long time ago though.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

crazy canuck

Quote from: The Brain on June 22, 2015, 01:27:03 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on June 22, 2015, 01:23:08 PM

That was a long time ago though.

So it has a good track record. :P

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

DGuller

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 20, 2015, 01:29:28 AM
Joan, I'm pretty sure veep was getting at policies which harness economic incentives.
Quote from: viper37 on June 21, 2015, 03:39:41 PM
- increase electricity production by non fossile fuels and these states should then export, at fair price, their electricity to those who rely on fossile fuels.
- increase public transportation services in big cities, i.e., make them efficient to use instead of trying to screw the automobile driver so he would eventually adopt public transit
- go with the hammer on automobile manufacturers, since they require a bail out every now and then, force them to reduce the emissions of their vehicles.  Well, that's mostly done.
- rework the road system in major cities to avoid unnecessary congestion, wich is done to piss off auto drivers in the first place as a way to force them to use inefficient public transportation
- impose sanctions on goods from countries wich do not adhere to our environmental standards.  When the Chinese realize they can't outsource us the cost of their negligence, they'll start caring.

that's for the non extreme measures.  If you want extremes, a nuke or two on China, in the name of environmental protection, would rally the CdM of this world to the cause. ;)
:hmm: Are you sticking by your assessment, Yi?

crazy canuck

Quote from: Grey Fox on June 22, 2015, 01:30:38 PM
Gas didn't go up?

Gas did go up but the middle class didn't stay home and the economy didn't suffer.  So the evidence we have is that your prediction of what would occur is not accurate.

Grey Fox

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 22, 2015, 01:36:53 PM
Gas didn't go up?

Gas did go up but the middle class didn't stay home and the economy didn't suffer.  So the evidence we have is that your prediction of what would occur is not accurate.

In B.C., in the vancouver area. Where people are paying 1 000 000$ for shacks.

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Grey Fox on June 22, 2015, 01:38:15 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on June 22, 2015, 01:36:53 PM
Gas didn't go up?

In B.C., in the vancouver area. Where people are paying 1 000 000$ for shacks.

The carbon tax applied to the entire province.  And you are correct.  It didn't seem to have an adverse effect on property prices in Vancouver.  :P

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: viper37 on June 22, 2015, 01:04:31 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on June 22, 2015, 10:04:05 AM
Why is a carbon tax easier to dodge than a cap on carbon emissions? 
Why is income tax easier to dogde than sales tax?

It depends on the income tax but typically because "income" is a complex concept that requires definition and also because for political reasons, income taxes as implemented tend to get very complex.  Notwithstanding those difficulties, most states do levy income taxes, often quite successfully.

QuotePresumable, by the time you get into a carbon tax, there'll be thousands of exceptions, and big corporations will hire armies of lawyers, just like they do for their other taxes to try to find loopholes to exploit.

Possibly but that is the same problem that exists with various kinds of cap schemes, and indeed, as Martinus argued, with virtually any mandatory legislation.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

viper37

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on June 22, 2015, 01:42:56 PM
Possibly but that is the same problem that exists with various kinds of cap schemes, and indeed, as Martinus argued, with virtually any mandatory legislation.
the tax will penalize everyone, but the credit trade will stimulate investment in green energy so that you would have people who are selling these credits because ther industry does not pollute at all, so that others can either pay the cost of their pollution, or find ways to optimize their process.

If you hike tax prices by 10cents a liter, you create an adverse effect on the economy because there will be no way to dodge that tax for the end consumers, businesses will send the cost to consumers, simply.  So, heating oil will be more expensive, travelling and transportation will be more expensive, wich in turn will make everything we consume of higher price.

And there's the psychological effect.  As soon as you pronounce the word tax, people with money try to find a way to dodge it.

If you create a sort of carbon market, then some people get creative to reduce their emissions instead of simply shifting the costs down to consumers because there is a competitive advantage for them to do so.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Admiral Yi

You dodge the gas tax by buying electric wheels, taking public trans, or riding a bike.

Same thing that would happen if gas producers had to buy emission permits.

The Minsky Moment

Exactly.

Economically there isn't much difference between a tax and a cap and trade scheme.  From the POV of a business, they both impose a cost.  Whether the cost can and will be passed onto consumers depends on the industry structure and the shape of demand curves, not whether you call it a "tax" or a "permit cost".   It's really the same thing.  The only difference is cap and trade targets quantity whereas the carbon tax acts directly on price.  The cap regimes makes sense if you really want to control quantity directly but you run the risk that crazy things can happen with price.  With the carbon tax you have more control over  the economic impact  but it may not reduce emissions by the amount desired.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

viper37

Quote from: DGuller on June 22, 2015, 01:34:19 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 20, 2015, 01:29:28 AM
Joan, I'm pretty sure veep was getting at policies which harness economic incentives.
Quote from: viper37 on June 21, 2015, 03:39:41 PM
- increase electricity production by non fossile fuels and these states should then export, at fair price, their electricity to those who rely on fossile fuels.
- increase public transportation services in big cities, i.e., make them efficient to use instead of trying to screw the automobile driver so he would eventually adopt public transit
- go with the hammer on automobile manufacturers, since they require a bail out every now and then, force them to reduce the emissions of their vehicles.  Well, that's mostly done.
- rework the road system in major cities to avoid unnecessary congestion, wich is done to piss off auto drivers in the first place as a way to force them to use inefficient public transportation
- impose sanctions on goods from countries wich do not adhere to our environmental standards.  When the Chinese realize they can't outsource us the cost of their negligence, they'll start caring.

that's for the non extreme measures.  If you want extremes, a nuke or two on China, in the name of environmental protection, would rally the CdM of this world to the cause. ;)
:hmm: Are you sticking by your assessment, Yi?
there's a difference between a credit system for greenhouse gas and how to reduce greenhouse gas.  We don't reduce our emissions by kneeling and praying.  Transporation and energy production are often regulated by the State.  I could have added "eliminate subsidies on oil production".  I fail to see how subsidizing a type of production over another is free market.