Massacre at historic African American Church in Charleston

Started by jimmy olsen, June 18, 2015, 12:10:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

And there probably are some foul corners of South Carolina where it still needs discrediting.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Malthus

These sorts of incidents always bring the same question to my mind - that is, the issue of whether people like this are evil terrorists, or simply insane, or both. Not "insane" in the legal sense of the word necessarily, of course. 

Take that guy BB brought up who shot a cop in Alberta - he strikes me as being, basically, nuts.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

Insular white dude nutcases. They are really becoming a menace.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on June 18, 2015, 09:45:18 AM
I find it puzzling some kid could wear stuff like that and not be suspected of being dangerous.

Even more puzzling that someone decided it would be a good idea to give him gun for his birthday present.

Valmy

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 18, 2015, 12:46:19 PM
I find it puzzling some kid could wear stuff like that and not be suspected of being dangerous.

Even more puzzling that someone decided it would be a good idea to give him gun for his birthday present.

That person is basically a murderer in my book.

Caliga

Yeah, I read that and I was like :bleeding:

"My son is a crazy racist loner?  I know what he needs for his birthday then!" :wacko:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

viper37

he's not muslim, where could the problem be?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Malthus on June 18, 2015, 12:38:13 PM
These sorts of incidents always bring the same question to my mind - that is, the issue of whether people like this are evil terrorists, or simply insane, or both. Not "insane" in the legal sense of the word necessarily, of course. 
I think it was in the NYT last year, but some researchers did a study on this, terrorists like the 9/11 guys, and mass shooters.
While it was hard to get conclusive results because some are killed during their acts, it seems the psychological profile is very close.

edit
Here is the study

And a news paper article: Link

In this case, given the obvious political message, it is terrorism.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Caliga on June 18, 2015, 12:56:41 PM
Yeah, I read that and I was like :bleeding:

"My son is a crazy racist loner?  I know what he needs for his birthday then!" :wacko:
there's no better way to socialize than at a shooting club, drinking some beers and shooting targets.

Malthus

Quote from: viper37 on June 18, 2015, 03:24:59 PM
I think it was in the NYT last year, but some researchers did a study on this, terrorists like the 9/11 guys, and mass shooters.
While it was hard to get conclusive results because some are killed during their acts, it seems the psychological profile is very close.

edit
Here is the study

And a news paper article: Link

In this case, given the obvious political message, it is terrorism.

Interesting stuff. Thanks.  :)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

lustindarkness

Quote from: viper37 on June 18, 2015, 03:27:53 PM
there's no better way to socialize than at a shooting club, drinking some beers and shooting targets.

:yes: This is true. I like the zombie targets BTW.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

MadImmortalMan

A racist mentally-ill drug addict. Not much question here.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Lettow77

This shooter was apprehended wearing a Rainbow Dash t-shirt. I'm appalled at his taste in ponies.
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

Valmy

Quote from: Lettow77 on June 18, 2015, 06:06:49 PM
This shooter was apprehended wearing a Rainbow Dash t-shirt. I'm appalled at his taste in ponies.

*facepalm*

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?