And we're back!

Main Menu

New Desktop Computer

Started by Monoriu, June 17, 2015, 10:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Monoriu

Quote from: garbon on July 03, 2015, 08:16:53 AM
Quote from: viper37 on June 22, 2015, 09:08:30 PM
There is no problem to upgrade to Windows 10, provided all your updates from Windows update are installed.  Just follow the on screen instructions.

Is this going to be like when you advised me about how easy and good it was to switch to 8.1? ;)

Viper, my ghost will haunt you if you lie to me  :menace:

viper37

Quote from: garbon on July 03, 2015, 08:16:53 AM
Quote from: viper37 on June 22, 2015, 09:08:30 PM
There is no problem to upgrade to Windows 10, provided all your updates from Windows update are installed.  Just follow the on screen instructions.

Is this going to be like when you advised me about how easy and good it was to switch to 8.1? ;)
No.
Installing 8.1 was actually someting you had to do.  And I still don't know why you had problems, never had any troubles here.
For Windows 10, the installation will be done by Windows Update.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Monoriu

I'll do the deed in the next few days. 

Grey Fox

Nothing will happen then.

Microsoft will start rolling out the updates on the 29th, could take weeks for you to be updated.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Monoriu

It has begun.  There is a pop-up screen, and Microsoft has asked me to reserve a timeslot for the Windows 10 update. 

I was too terrified and I just closed that screen instinctively, hoping the problem will go away  :blush:

Norgy

You are more risk-averse than any person should be.  :lol:

Monoriu

Quote from: Norgy on July 05, 2015, 01:53:13 PM
You are more risk-averse than any person should be.  :lol:

Well, the cost/benefit just doesn't add up.  I am happy with Windows 7.  Vista was slow and 8 constantly shoves useless and irrelevant screens at me.  I have no incentive whatsoever to change.  The benefit side of the equation is air.

I love Microsoft and Skynet.  I want them to rule the Earth, lord over us and dictate humanity's future.  I use their products out of that loyalty.  But I am well aware that the update will have problems, judging from past experience.  The worst case scenario is that I'll be locked out of my computer, and I have to drag it to the shop for repairs.  I hate doing this, in case I have not stated this enough times already.  The cost side of the equation is very ugly. 

DontSayBanana

You're neglecting the risk in *not* upgrading.  Microsoft has stated that the ridiculous Windows XP support life cycle isn't going to happen again.  I know you want to be ruled by Microsoft and Skynet, but how about opportunistic hackers looking for idiots running old, unsupported operating systems?

One of the reasons I *desperately* want out of my current job is because their network security is appalling- the damn place thinks it's okay to gather and transmit credit card data on ancient point-of-sale computers running *Windows 95*.  It's only a matter of time before there's a massive breach, and I'd rather not be associated with that place when that happens.
Experience bij!

Monoriu

Quote from: DontSayBanana on July 05, 2015, 09:15:49 PM
You're neglecting the risk in *not* upgrading.  Microsoft has stated that the ridiculous Windows XP support life cycle isn't going to happen again.  I know you want to be ruled by Microsoft and Skynet, but how about opportunistic hackers looking for idiots running old, unsupported operating systems?

One of the reasons I *desperately* want out of my current job is because their network security is appalling- the damn place thinks it's okay to gather and transmit credit card data on ancient point-of-sale computers running *Windows 95*.  It's only a matter of time before there's a massive breach, and I'd rather not be associated with that place when that happens.

That's a good point.  That's valid reason why I should install Windows 10 and endure the pain.  I don't think they'll terminate support for Windows 7 so soon though.  I would rather wait a few months for the inevitable Windows 10 issues to be fixed.

viper37

Quote from: Monoriu on July 05, 2015, 09:21:45 PM
Quote from: DontSayBanana on July 05, 2015, 09:15:49 PM

That's a good point.  That's valid reason why I should install Windows 10 and endure the pain.  I don't think they'll terminate support for Windows 7 so soon though.  I would rather wait a few months for the inevitable Windows 10 issues to be fixed.
As of Janurary 3 2015, mainstream support is over.  Wich means, they will patch the most glaring flaws but will not make any improvements to the basic code.  One of these issues as pop-up as some malware can't take hold on Win8 due to its new security features, but M$ is not adding that feature to Win7.

Full support (all basic security patches) will end in January 2020.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Monoriu

Thanks for the tip.  I'll do it. 

My computer is with the shop now.  Can't believe they need 48 hours for the surgery.  :mad:

viper37

Quote from: Monoriu on July 06, 2015, 09:34:18 AM
My computer is with the shop now.  Can't believe they need 48 hours for the surgery.  :mad:
they're slow.  Or very busy.

Grey Fox

It takes time to copy your massive collection for themselves.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Monoriu

Quote from: Grey Fox on July 06, 2015, 09:49:25 AM
It takes time to copy your massive collection for themselves.

I didn't give them my external HDDs  :P

Besides, there are easier ways to get them.

Monoriu

Long story short, it is done.  I have a new computer, but I am totally exhausted from the logistics operation.  Lesson learned: next time, wear gloves.

Major problem though.  I have not changed my boot HDD, but Windows has sent an ultimatum to me.  Something like register within 72 hours, or your computer will stop working.  The Windows 7 is real, not pirated, so I don't quite understand.  When I click the button that says register or something, an error popped up.  0xC004B100.

Any ideas how to fix this? 

I still love Microsoft though.