News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

New Desktop Computer

Started by Monoriu, June 17, 2015, 10:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Monoriu

I have no idea if this works or not.  Never done anything similar before.  I have uploaded the file, which is more than 1GB large.  Took me 3 hours to upload it.  I was also too lazy to change the Chinese file name, so it will probably appear as gibberish on your machine. 

http://rg.to/file/374a7dc1c201a18a68e765801569fa3d/Baccano-1_副社長不談論自己是主角的可能性.mkv.html

viper37

ok, got it, downloading it now.  Shouldn't take long and I'll check it tonight.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Monoriu

Quote from: viper37 on June 20, 2015, 09:59:48 AM
ok, got it, downloading it now.  Shouldn't take long and I'll check it tonight.

viper37

I don't see anything wrong with the file.  It plays perfectly well in my VLC.  I have a recent Core i5 for Cpu and a Radeon 290x for video card.  I can go to the end, come back to the middle, no tear, not long pause either.  Maybe 1 second pause, no more.

In VLC, if you go to Tools > Preferences > Video , do you see a checkbox next to "Accelerated video output"?
Is "Output" set to 'automatic' ?

Do you have VLC 2.2.1?
If you try the instructions I posted above, from your forum and you try Media Player Classic x64, do you still have problems?

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Monoriu

Quote from: viper37 on June 20, 2015, 07:14:13 PM
I don't see anything wrong with the file.  It plays perfectly well in my VLC.  I have a recent Core i5 for Cpu and a Radeon 290x for video card.  I can go to the end, come back to the middle, no tear, not long pause either.  Maybe 1 second pause, no more.

In VLC, if you go to Tools > Preferences > Video , do you see a checkbox next to "Accelerated video output"?
Is "Output" set to 'automatic' ?

Do you have VLC 2.2.1?
If you try the instructions I posted above, from your forum and you try Media Player Classic x64, do you still have problems?

The VLC settings are fine.  I think a lot of it has to do with how we define "long pause".  Maybe I am just impatient.  My laptop with an i7 CPU completely failed to play that file properly.

I gave you a 25-minute episode.  The problem gets worse if it is a feature length movie, but I don't want to bother you with a 10G file.  Moving the file around helps.  It loads much more quickly from an SSD.  It is slow on an external HDD.  Internal HDD is somewhere in between. 

viper37

Quote from: Monoriu on June 20, 2015, 08:12:39 PM
I gave you a 25-minute episode.  The problem gets worse if it is a feature length movie, but I don't want to bother you with a 10G file. 
Moving the file around helps.  It loads much more quickly from an SSD.  It is slow on an external HDD.  Internal HDD is somewhere in between. 
that is expected.  SSD is super fast, ext. hd is super slow, HDD is somewhere in the middle.

I suspect the problem you have is the file takes a while to load from the external hard drive.  VLC will try to buffer the file from the point you load it forward.  If you start at the beginning, it will try to load everything it can into memory so you don't see a pause.  But if you jump around, it's like an internet stream, it will reload from this point on forward.

Monoriu

Ok thanks a lot.  I think it is about time I go and have a chat with the thieves computer shop people.  And to make up my mind.

Barrister

Quote from: viper37 on June 20, 2015, 09:23:30 PM
I gave you a 25-minute episode.  The problem gets worse if it is a feature length movie, but I don't want to bother you with a 10G file. 
Moving the file around helps.  It loads much more quickly from an SSD.  It is slow on an external HDD.  Internal HDD is somewhere in between. 
that is expected.  SSD is super fast, ext. hd is super slow, HDD is somewhere in the middle.

I suspect the problem you have is the file takes a while to load from the external hard drive.  VLC will try to buffer the file from the point you load it forward.  If you start at the beginning, it will try to load everything it can into memory so you don't see a pause.  But if you jump around, it's like an internet stream, it will reload from this point on forward.

Isn't that what I said a couple pages back?  Sounds like a HDD problem, not a video card problem.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Monoriu

Quote from: Barrister on June 21, 2015, 04:33:26 PM

Isn't that what I said a couple pages back?  Sounds like a HDD problem, not a video card problem.

That is true.  That's one of the reasons why I'll insist adding another 6TB internal HDD.  But my experience is that upgrading the video card helps a lot with the problem.  Of course, the law of diminishing returns kicks in at some point, and further upgrading it may or may not work. 

Still quite torn if I should upgrade the video card.  My existing 970 seems sufficient for now, but is unlikely to survive the next four years.  Last time I bought a new video card and tried to install it myself, I broke the computer.  I hate dragging the computer to the shop every year, so if I want to future proof my computer, I should get a 980ti when I change the CPU.   :hmm:

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on June 21, 2015, 04:33:26 PM

yes, you did.  But Mono never listens to any of us until he has his back to the wall, so I needed to confim by myself ;)

viper37

Quote from: Monoriu on June 21, 2015, 06:03:58 PM
Still quite torn if I should upgrade the video card.  My existing 970 seems sufficient for now, but is unlikely to survive the next four years.  Last time I bought a new video card and tried to install it myself, I broke the computer.  I hate dragging the computer to the shop every year, so if I want to future proof my computer, I should get a 980ti when I change the CPU.   :hmm:
even if you change it now, it's not going to last 4 years.

Upgrade your computer now.  Learn your lesson from last video card change attemp.  Wait 2 yours, buy a mainstream model that'll be better than today's 980ti.  Change it yourself, or add 50$ to the price to get i changed.

You will pay what you pay today for a 980ti, but 2 years down the road.  That means you have to actualize your cost to today's worth.  So, your card will be cheaper.

A 980ti would not bring you more enjoyment today.  In 2 years though, a new card would extend the life of your PC by another 2 years.

Monoriu

Should I get a 1440p 4k monitor?  Mine is 1080p. 

Monoriu

Talked to the computer shop. 

Basics.  These are things that I will buy.

CPU: Intel i7-5820k (2011 socket) US$400
Motherboard: ASUS X99-A (8 RAM slot) US$380
RAM: Kingston/Gskill DDR4 2400 32G(8Gx4) US$510
HDD: WD 6TB RED US$345 (already have 500GB SSD, and 2 HDD at 2TB and 6TB each.  This will be a 4th one)

Sub-total: US$1,635

Options.  These are things that I may or may not need to buy.

Q1: What powersupply should I use?

1a. Existing Super Flower Golden Green 850w Fan 80+ Gold Cable Management US$0
b. Corsair CS850w (80+, Gold, Modular) US$Viper-pays-because-he-made-me-buy-it US$190
c. CoolerMaster V850 (80+, Gold, Modular) US$230

Q2: What case should I use?

2a. Existing NZXT H02-001-WT ATX Classic Series US$0
b. Corsair 300R (side window) US$100
c. NZXT S340 US$90

Q3: What CPU cooler should I use?

3a. Existing Kuhler H2O 650 ANTEC US$0
b. Corsair H80i GT US$115
c. Corsair H100i GTX US$180.  I was told that this has two fans or something and not every case is compatible with it? 

Q4: What video card should I use?

4a. Existing nvidia GTX970 US$0
b. nvidia GTX980ti US$750
c. nvidia GTX980ti (IChill 4 fan version) US$850

Q5: What monitor should I use?

5a. Existing LG24MA53 1080p Full HD US$0
b. LG 27MU67 3840x2160 US$900

I am inclined to choose 1b (US$190)(viper you win) + 2a (0) + 3a (0) + 4a (0) + 5(b) (US$900).  The total cost of the new desktop will be US$2,725.  I reserve the right to change my mind without notice  :P

Grey Fox

This is so much power & money for something you use a slim amount of its potential.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

viper37

Quote from: Monoriu on June 21, 2015, 11:50:31 PM
Should I get a 1440p 4k monitor?  Mine is 1080p. 
I don't think it's worth it for a 27" monitor.  Even if you sit very close, the screen is pretty small for 4k, I don't think you'll see a lot more details.

4k has some use in video gaming, but then you might need a 2nd video card (SLI) to really run the latest games at this resolution.  And I'm not sure the GTX 970 would be enough for 4k, you might need the GTX 980ti, like 2 of them.
Here's a text on why 4k gaming is not so great:
http://www.cnet.com/news/should-you-get-a-4k-tv-for-gaming/

So, on a 27" monitor that costs you 900$ and requires 2x 850$ video cards... It's not worth it.  Not right now.  There's barely any content made in 4k, a few blu rays here&there, some streaming from Youbute and Netflix, probably no anime yet.  1080p content will not look extraordinary beautiful on a 27" 4k monitor, it will be slightly better or equal to your 1080p monitor.  Also, not many games are made with 4k in mind.  They will be slightly better, but not that better.

If you really want to go 4k, buy yourself a 60-65" 4k tv and plug your computer to it for gaming, and use a secondary monitor (your existing one) for other desktop activities, like browsing the internet.

My advice would be to keep your kit as you selected it, but drop the new monitor.  Keep your old monitor.  Invest that money in some stocks.  In 3 years time, take your money back and buy a brand new computer, and this time a 4k monitor along with it, they'll be at 350-400$ instead of 900$ and will be twice as good ;)