And we're back!

Main Menu

New Desktop Computer

Started by Monoriu, June 17, 2015, 10:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: Monoriu on June 22, 2015, 06:51:14 AM
Talked to the computer shop. 

Basics.  These are things that I will buy.
CPU: Intel i7-5820k (2011 socket) US$400
Motherboard: ASUS X99-A (8 RAM slot) US$380
RAM: Kingston/Gskill DDR4 2400 32G(8Gx4) US$510
HDD: WD 6TB RED US$345 (already have 500GB SSD, and 2 HDD at 2TB and 6TB each.  This will be a 4th one)

Sub-total: US$1,635
Again, my advice would be to not go to 32gb right now.  24gb max, even 16gb would be sufficient, most games do not use that much memory, they are designed for consoles wich only have 5gb of memory available.  If you go the 4k way though, it might be a wise investment.  But I already told you not to go that way right now...

By the time you will need 32gb to play a game, you whole system will be antiquated and it will be time to replace it.  Save your money and upgrade the whole computer in 3 years if you don't want to do select upgrades.

Also, those HK prices are insane.  That 6tb WD Red costs me 250$CAN here (200$US)...  And it likely was made closer to your shop than mine :P
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Monoriu

Quote from: viper37 on June 22, 2015, 07:41:33 AM
Quote from: Monoriu on June 21, 2015, 11:50:31 PM
Should I get a 1440p 4k monitor?  Mine is 1080p. 
I don't think it's worth it for a 27" monitor.  Even if you sit very close, the screen is pretty small for 4k, I don't think you'll see a lot more details.

4k has some use in video gaming, but then you might need a 2nd video card (SLI) to really run the latest games at this resolution.  And I'm not sure the GTX 970 would be enough for 4k, you might need the GTX 980ti, like 2 of them.
Here's a text on why 4k gaming is not so great:
http://www.cnet.com/news/should-you-get-a-4k-tv-for-gaming/

So, on a 27" monitor that costs you 900$ and requires 2x 850$ video cards... It's not worth it.  Not right now.  There's barely any content made in 4k, a few blu rays here&there, some streaming from Youbute and Netflix, probably no anime yet.  1080p content will not look extraordinary beautiful on a 27" 4k monitor, it will be slightly better or equal to your 1080p monitor.  Also, not many games are made with 4k in mind.  They will be slightly better, but not that better.

If you really want to go 4k, buy yourself a 60-65" 4k tv and plug your computer to it for gaming, and use a secondary monitor (your existing one) for other desktop activities, like browsing the internet.

My advice would be to keep your kit as you selected it, but drop the new monitor.  Keep your old monitor.  Invest that money in some stocks.  In 3 years time, take your money back and buy a brand new computer, and this time a 4k monitor along with it, they'll be at 350-400$ instead of 900$ and will be twice as good ;)

ok, this makes sense. 

Monoriu

Quote from: viper37 on June 22, 2015, 07:46:18 AM
Quote from: Monoriu on June 22, 2015, 06:51:14 AM
Talked to the computer shop. 

Basics.  These are things that I will buy.
CPU: Intel i7-5820k (2011 socket) US$400
Motherboard: ASUS X99-A (8 RAM slot) US$380
RAM: Kingston/Gskill DDR4 2400 32G(8Gx4) US$510
HDD: WD 6TB RED US$345 (already have 500GB SSD, and 2 HDD at 2TB and 6TB each.  This will be a 4th one)

Sub-total: US$1,635
Again, my advice would be to not go to 32gb right now.  24gb max, even 16gb would be sufficient, most games do not use that much memory, they are designed for consoles wich only have 5gb of memory available.  If you go the 4k way though, it might be a wise investment.  But I already told you not to go that way right now...

By the time you will need 32gb to play a game, you whole system will be antiquated and it will be time to replace it.  Save your money and upgrade the whole computer in 3 years if you don't want to do select upgrades.

Also, those HK prices are insane.  That 6tb WD Red costs me 250$CAN here (200$US)...  And it likely was made closer to your shop than mine :P

24G and 32G, the difference is probably only about US$100.  I'll go 32G. 

Yeah, the prices are high.  They include labour though.  The shop will do everything for me.  These are also pre-negotiation.  I maybe able to get, say, 5% off or something.  I have yet to use my trump card - I'll pay cash. 

viper37

QuoteThese are also pre-negotiation.  I maybe able to get, say, 5% off or something.  I have yet to use my trump card - I'll pay cash. 
Good Mono  :hug:

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Monoriu on June 22, 2015, 08:29:58 AM
I maybe able to get, say, 5% off or something.  I have yet to use my trump card - I'll pay cash. 

First sensible thing you've said in this thread.

And yeah, guys, I've tried to tell him his gaming habits would run well on a computer from 5 years ago instead of trying to invest in a computer future-proofed to 5 years from now, but he doesn't listen.

The main thing, Mono, is if you absolutely refuse to delete anything, drop some coin and invest in a subscription with a data center that can keep your files.  The way you're going with SSDs, your apartment is going to look like a high-tech episode of Hoarders in about 5 years' time.
Experience bij!

Monoriu

Quote from: DontSayBanana on June 22, 2015, 09:34:07 AM
I maybe able to get, say, 5% off or something.  I have yet to use my trump card - I'll pay cash. 

And yeah, guys, I've tried to tell him his gaming habits would run well on a computer from 5 years ago instead of trying to invest in a computer future-proofed to 5 years from now, but he doesn't listen.

The main thing, Mono, is if you absolutely refuse to delete anything, drop some coin and invest in a subscription with a data center that can keep your files.  The way you're going with SSDs, your apartment is going to look like a high-tech episode of Hoarders in about 5 years' time.

The desktop computer is the one object in the universe that has the highest correlation with my happiness.  If there is anything that is worth spending my money on, this is it. 

I kinda suspect that a cloud data service that is 23TB large isn't cheap.  Not sure why you mention SSDs though as I really only use them for operating systems, not for anime storage.  In any case, I don't trust cloud services.  I have seen what happened to some anime fan sites that stored everything online when something went wrong.  Hell, our own languish suffered from multiple breakdowns and data losses.  I am also too computer illiterate to use them properly.  Your point about ever increasing HDDs is noted.  I'll try to limit the number of external HDDs that I have. 

Grey Fox

Your main problem seem to be USB throughput.

Try to use more Esata or USB 3.0
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

viper37

Quote from: DontSayBanana on June 22, 2015, 09:34:07 AM

he's got like 6-7 external HDDs and 2-3 internal hdds each 3-4 tb each.  For that amount of money, he'd better rent another flat and stock his own file server there.

viper37

Quote from: Monoriu on June 22, 2015, 08:25:40 AM
ok, this makes sense. 
I forgot about your cooling system.  Well, just double check with the computer store that it will fit with the new CPU.  There is of course no problem with the case, since you keep the old one :)

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

viper37

he might just listen to you :P

Monoriu

Monoriu

I've made up my mind.  The only question is when I need to get off my ass, line up at the bank to withdraw cash, haggle with the shop, and drag the computer there.  Windows 10 will be out by the end of July, it seems.  Not sure if I should wait until then.  I can try to make "help me install Windows 10" as part of the conditions for buying the computer.  Although I think Microsoft is the best company in the world, my confidence that I can upgrade to Windows 10 without a hitch is close to zero.  On the other hand, maybe Windows 10 sucks and I should just continue to use Windows 7, which I am very happy with.  But then it is probably not a good idea to be two generations behind in the OS. 

viper37

There is no problem to upgrade to Windows 10, provided all your updates from Windows update are installed.  Just follow the on screen instructions.

garbon

Quote from: viper37 on June 22, 2015, 09:08:30 PM
There is no problem to upgrade to Windows 10, provided all your updates from Windows update are installed.  Just follow the on screen instructions.

Is this going to be like when you advised me about how easy and good it was to switch to 8.1? ;)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.