News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The "public option"

Started by DGuller, June 22, 2009, 05:12:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

Either I'm blind, or we've got no threads on the public insurance option in the healthcare reform.  I find it a bit surprising, since this is the biggest part of the biggest issue facing us today.  What does Languish think:  is this a necessity, that people should have a government-provided option if they're mandated to get health insurance, or is it just an attempt to sneak in single-payer system by having the government undercut private medical insurers?

Jaron

Can someone lock this thread before DGuller puts everyone to sleep?
Winner of THE grumbler point.

ulmont

Quote from: DGuller on June 22, 2009, 05:12:26 PM
Either I'm blind, or we've got no threads on the public insurance option in the healthcare reform.  I find it a bit surprising, since this is the biggest part of the biggest issue facing us today.  What does Languish think:  is this a necessity, that people should have a government-provided option if they're mandated to get health insurance, or is it just an attempt to sneak in single-payer system by having the government undercut private medical insurers?

Necessity, and I swear to God I will sign up on day one.  Fuck this zillion-dollar-a-month-bullshit.

Admiral Yi

When I read the title I thought this thread was going to be about the proposal to distribute the government's stake in GM to all people who filed tax returns.

On topic, I don't agree that this is the biggest issue.  How much it will cost and what we get for the money are bigger issues IMO.

Neil

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 22, 2009, 07:11:18 PM
When I read the title I thought this thread was going to be about the proposal to distribute the government's stake in GM to all people who filed tax returns.

On topic, I don't agree that this is the biggest issue.  How much it will cost and what we get for the money are bigger issues IMO.
And abolishing private insurance is the best way to do that.  That way, the government decides how much the medical people will charge.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

crazy canuck

Is there someplace where the Obama's proposal is explained?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Neil on June 22, 2009, 07:42:33 PM
And abolishing private insurance is the best way to do that.  That way, the government decides how much the medical people will charge.
Isn't that one of the problems with the Canadian system, medicine is no longer lucrative so you have a shortage of doctors?

Neil

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 22, 2009, 07:48:17 PM
Quote from: Neil on June 22, 2009, 07:42:33 PM
Isn't that one of the problems with the Canadian system, medicine is no longer lucrative so you have a shortage of doctors?
To some degree.  Part of it is that doctors who were trained here will practice in the US in order to make more money.  That wouldn't be an option for American doctors.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Monoriu

Definitely have a government option.  Hong Kong implemented a mandatory provident fund scheme a few years ago.  Basically every employer and employee has to contribute a fixed percentage of salary toward a personal account.  The money must be managed by financial firms.  Guess what, these guys collude and charge 2-3% on a stock index fund.  I think it was a huge mistake not to have a government option.  Hey, if the private providers can't beat the inefficient government, they don't deserve any business. 

What is a single payer system? 

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Monoriu on June 22, 2009, 08:04:30 PM
What is a single payer system?
All bills get sent to the government.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 22, 2009, 07:11:18 PM

:huh: How serious is that?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Admiral Yi

Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 22, 2009, 08:24:50 PM
8.2?

Timmy, be a kind fellow and put a hard return after the other guy's post when you quote.  Makes it easier to crop.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 22, 2009, 08:34:33 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 22, 2009, 08:24:50 PM
8.2?

Timmy, be a kind fellow and put a hard return after the other guy's post when you quote.  Makes it easier to crop.
By how serious, I meant is that a proposal that seems likely to be passed.

What do you mean by a hard return?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Admiral Yi

Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 22, 2009, 08:39:44 PM

0.0.  It was tossed out in some Newsweek editorial.

Hit the enter key so you move down one line.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 22, 2009, 08:46:02 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 22, 2009, 08:39:44 PM

0.0.  It was tossed out in some Newsweek editorial.

Hit the enter key so you move down one line.
Gotcha.

1 Karma Chameleon point