News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

GDP through the centuries

Started by citizen k, June 15, 2015, 07:10:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

citizen k

Liep

Africa is due to go green any century now.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Siege

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Valmy

They have economic data on Britain in Year 1 before its historical era had even really began. What did they base that on? Caesar's commentaries?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Ed Anger

Quote from: Valmy on June 16, 2015, 11:59:26 PM
They have economic data on Britain in Year 1 before its historical era had even really began. What did they base that on? Caesar's commentaries?

Datacus atta Assicus.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

The Brain

Quote from: Valmy on June 16, 2015, 11:59:26 PM

You know that's just a movie, right?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Minsky Moment

I have a couple of Madison's books.  For pre-modern he basically assumes a baseline level of per capita GDP consistent with a subsistence agricultural economy.  (roughly 400 US in 1990 chained dollars).  He then assigns somewhat higher numbers (around 450 or so) to areas that he estimated enjoy higher agricultural productivity.  The Roman Empire is deemed to be one of those areas based on an estimate of overall consumption levels by a scholar who wrote a paper back in the 80s.  He also assumes that the Italy and the core eastern provinces enjoyed higher levels of income then the western provinces, which in turn enjoyed higher levels than the European areas outside the empire.

There is a more recent paper by Walter Schlegel and Steven Friesen that can be found online that addresses the estimates for the Roman Empire.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson