And we're back!

Main Menu

EU Immigration Crisis Megathread

Started by Tamas, June 15, 2015, 11:27:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duque de Bragança

Entitlement culture?

Executive Summary

A Sudanese asylum seeker, now a card-carrying refugee, not happy because he was not granted social housing immediately,messes up and burns offices in Annecy city hall (SE France near Switzerland). One paper too much to fill, according to the report.  I wonder if he knows French people can wait up to 20 years for social housing.:hmm:

http://france3-regions.francetvinfo.fr/alpes/haute-savoie/annecy/sans-logement-un-refugie-brule-des-bureaux-de-la-mairie-d-annecy-1000171.html

Quotehome / Alpes / Haute-Savoie / Annecy
Sans logement, un réfugié brûle des bureaux de la mairie d'Annecy
Un Soudanais, qui venait d'obtenir le statut de réfugié, a été interpellé mardi à Annecy après avoir incendié les locaux d'une antenne de la mairie. Il reprochait aux employées de ne pas lui trouver un logement "tout de suite".

Les employées du Pôle Solidarités d'Annecy n'en reviennent toujours pas. Mardi 17 mai, un réfugié politique, mais surtout un homme manifestement instable, s'est enfermé dans leurs bureaux et les a tout bonnement incendiés avant de sortir et d'être interpellé dans un square.

Nouveau réfugié, il exigeait un logement

Selon la police, l'individu est un Soudanais de 28 ans. Fin avril, il a obtenu le statut de réfugié. C'est donc avec sa carte de réfugié qu'il se présente, mardi matin, au pôle solidarité, qui gère les logements sociaux, pour exiger d'obtenir un logement rapidement à Annecy, qui lui serait "dû", selon lui, vu son nouveau statut. Les employées lui expliquent que ce n'est pas possible, lui donnent un dossier à remplir et lui demandent de revenir l'après-midi. Il s'exécute.

De retour, il s'énerve quand les agents lui demandent à nouveau de remplir un formulaire. Il ne veut pas attendre. Les employées appellent alors le 115 pour obtenir au moins un logement d'urgence, mais aucun n'est disponible. Alors le ton monte, les insultes volent... ainsi que les ordinateurs.

Il a tout pété...

L'homme balance le matériel. Les employées sortent du bureau. Il s'y enferme et détruit tout, les ordinateurs, les fenêtres... puis met le feu avec un briquet, selon la police. "Il a attendu que ça prenne bien, puis il est sorti dans un square où nous l'avons arrêté", raconte-t-on au commissariat, qui avait entre-temps été alerté par les employées.

Près de 100.000 euros de préjudice

Au final deux bureaux ont bien brûlé et un troisième aurait été touché, toujours selon la police. Selon une première estimation, il y en aurait pour 100.000 euros de préjudice.

Le jeune homme sera jugé en comparution immédiate, jeudi matin.

No news yet if the refugee status will be revoked but he was to be judged tomorrow morning i.e on Thursday.

Jacob

MadImmortalMan

Why even have social housing, when regular subsidies would be better, faster and less distorting to the housing market?

Is it to ensure ghettoization of the poor or something? Keep them segregated?
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Martinus on May 14, 2016, 02:32:17 AM
Quote from: Tyr on May 13, 2016, 07:23:53 AM
:unsure: I'm not in the labour party.
I just think it's stupid so much is being made of this. Doesn't strike me as too bad at all.

And :rolleyes:
Islamists are a fact of life in the world.  You can scream at them until they go away (how is that working?) Or engage with them and pull them away from extremism.

Or you can exterminate them. That has worked in the past with representatives of other dangerous ideologies.

Never go full Hitler.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Martinus

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on May 18, 2016, 12:53:35 PM
I just think it's stupid so much is being made of this. Doesn't strike me as too bad at all.

Islamists are a fact of life in the world.  You can scream at them until they go away (how is that working?) Or engage with them and pull them away from extremism.

Or you can exterminate them. That has worked in the past with representatives of other dangerous ideologies.

Never go full Hitler.

How is this full Hitler - unless you equate Islamists with Muslims?

Josquius

Seriously, I have never thought we would get to the point that someone on this forum advocates "engaging" with islamists.

And whats the problem with engaging with them pray tell?
It seems a much smarter move than placing a hit on anyone who says something disagreeable.  You're not a Daesh sleeper agent are you? As that one is right out of their playbook.
██████
██████
██████

Solmyr

I'm all for killing jihadists, but who exactly should we exterminate? Just the actual jihadists fighting for Daesh? Their families? The imams whose speeches inspire them? Anyone who ever listens to Islamist ideology and does not immediately disagree? Some of these options are pretty Hitler. And of course, the war on terror has worked SO WELL.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Solmyr on May 18, 2016, 02:06:25 PM
I'm all for killing jihadists, but who exactly should we exterminate? Just the actual jihadists fighting for Daesh? Their families? The imams whose speeches inspire them? Anyone who ever listens to Islamist ideology and does not immediately disagree? Some of these options are pretty Hitler. And of course, the war on terror has worked SO WELL.

Jihadists should be the only targets, though some collateral damage is inevitable.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Solmyr

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on May 18, 2016, 02:08:49 PM
Quote from: Solmyr on May 18, 2016, 02:06:25 PM

Jihadists should be the only targets, though some collateral damage is inevitable.

Aren't they already? Clearly, it is not working so well since terrorism is still happening and people keep joining their ranks.

Eddie Teach

I don't know man. If we had time travel technology, I'd suggest the best tactic would be to support Saddam, support Assad, support Qadaffi, etc.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Martinus on May 18, 2016, 01:39:31 PM
How is this full Hitler - unless you equate Islamists with Muslims?

Extermination of people based on opinions or beliefs they hold is problematic for either a Voltarian or Popperian liberal.  SOP for fascism though.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Admiral Yi

What does it mean to "engage with an Islamist?"

derspiess

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 18, 2016, 02:45:13 PM

Offer them either: a) that you'll convert to Islam or b)your head for them to chop off
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

citizen k

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on May 18, 2016, 02:16:50 PM
I don't know man. If we had time travel technology, I'd suggest the best tactic would be to support Saddam, support Assad, support Qadaffi, etc.

You'd support terrorists to prevent terrorism?  :hmm:

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 18, 2016, 02:45:13 PM

Step 1. Do not pre-emptively exterminate them.

Step 2. Engage in some sort of conversation with them to understand where they're coming from and share our priorities.

Step 3 (optional). Discuss various potential arrangements to encourage better and more beneficial relationships, based on step 2.