And we're back!

Main Menu

EU Immigration Crisis Megathread

Started by Tamas, June 15, 2015, 11:27:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gups

Quote from: Valmy on May 11, 2016, 03:33:48 PM
Quote from: Martinus on May 11, 2016, 03:24:21 PM
You see, Valmy, what we have to put up with here in Europe?

It is just frustrating that neither Zanza or Gups seem to have given any evidence of even having read the article but seemed eager to tell me what it was saying.

I don't know if that is typical in Europe but it is pretty typical of Languish. :lol:

I read the whole thing. It's a repeat of the smears Londoners have heard constantly in the last couple of months from the Tories and their supporters in the press  which have been almost entirely.

For example, the author claims, like the Tories did, that Khan was heavily involved in the Tooting Mosque, led by an extremist and that he did so in order to claim the Muslim vote in that constituency which he was in danger to losing to another Muslim runining for the Lib Dems . This ignores the fact that Tooting, while it has a large Asian population, is primarily white and Hindu or Buddhist (Sri Lankans and Indians) with a very small Muslim population. It also ignores the fact that the Lib Dems were no threat at all to Khan, they get less that 10% of the vote in Tooting - the Tories are the opposition there and they were represented by a white man.

The central allegation, that Khan was close to the extremist leader of the Tooting mosque has been completely debunked. The Iman is not and has never been an extremist. This has been acknowledged by the Prime Minister and Defence Secretary of the UK who have apologised for saying otherwise.

http://politicalscrapbook.net/2016/05/breaking-defence-secretary-apologises-to-tooting-imam-over-isis-and-sadiq-khan-related-smears/

The Beast author accuses Khan of having an extremist bother in law (as if Khan is his brother in law's keeper). But these allegations were debunked as long ago as 1998 by the Times

https://politicalscrapbook.net/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/javaid.jpg

I'm not going to go on. Every single allegation made in the article has been made repeatedly in a dirty campaign and has been knocked down. You could easily have found this out by goggling but I guess it's much easier to just believe what you want to from a single article.

mongers

Fling enough mud and some of it will stick.

But would then you really want to shake a mud covered hand?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Valmy

Quote from: Gups on May 12, 2016, 02:29:35 AM
I'm not going to go on. Every single allegation made in the article has been made repeatedly in a dirty campaign and has been knocked down. You could easily have found this out by goggling but I guess it's much easier to just believe what you want to from a single article.

Look I don't give two shits about the mayor of London I was talking about what he was saying about the Muslim community in Britain that would compel a politician to behave that way. That a former extremist was saying that kind of thing seemed pretty scary. The campaign is already over and he specifically said he did not want to hurt the dude's campaign.

You said something so I asked you for more details but apparently that is beyond the pale and makes me wanting to take the easy way out or some shit.. Fine next time something goes down in Texas I will act like a dick and insist everybody just google it and accuse the poster who lives thousands of miles away of having some kind of agenda :lol:

And for the record I do not want to believe what the article is saying. Despite your bizarre and baseless insistence I do. Why would I want to believe something so terrible?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Gups

Quote from: Valmy on May 12, 2016, 08:54:46 AM
Quote from: Gups on May 12, 2016, 02:29:35 AM

Look I don't give two shits about the mayor of London I was talking about what he was saying about the Muslim community in Britain that would compel a politician to behave that way. That a former extremist was saying that kind of thing seemed pretty scary. The campaign is already over and he specifically said he did not want to hurt the dude's campaign.

You said something so I asked you for more details but apparently that is beyond the pale and makes me wanting to take the easy way out or some shit.. Fine next time something goes down in Texas I will act like a dick and insist everybody just google it and accuse the poster who lives thousands of miles away of having some kind of agenda :lol:

When did you ask for details? All you did was accuse me of not having read the article, presumably because I took a different view of it then you do. I won't go so far as saying you were acting like a dick but you were sharing a platform with a known dick.

I don't know what this guy's motivation is and why he is repeating stuff that he knows damn well isn't true. Maybe he's after funding for his pressure group? Maybe he wants to be to go to moderate Mulsim guy for the media? Maybe he just doesn't like Khan? But come, on, just because he used to be an extremist doesn't give him any credibility in itself.

Camerus

I don't doubt many of those accusations are either outright false or greatly sensationalized for political or personal reasons, but I also find it hard to believe that the nasty "Uncle Tom" comments would be made in a vacuum by a candidate who otherwise wouldn't dream of pandering (or feel the need to).

Admiral Yi

The one way it would work for me is if he considered himself an Uncle Tom.  Self deprecating humor.

Josquius

Again though.  What he was saying was perfectly reasonable. It's just the language he used in the moment was a bit iffy.
I can only say
1: that was an odd term to use. Not at all a common phrase outside of the us (well. To white brits anyway. Maybe asiams use it more for some reason?) It stands to reason he didn't get how offensive it is in the us.
2: he was speaking to a islamist crowd. Empathising with them to better make his moderate point.
One of the key rules of speaking, to use your audiences language.
██████
██████
██████

Tamas

And that's exactly what we need! A Muslim mayor of London who makes sure to appease Islamists opinions!

Solmyr

That is hardly his defining characteristic.  :rolleyes:

Tamas

I know, but it's funny how Tyr is just digging a deeper hole trying to talk the guy out of this one particular thing, because party loyalty doesn't allow him to let anything pass.  :lol:

Josquius

:unsure: I'm not in the labour party.
I just think it's stupid so much is being made of this. Doesn't strike me as too bad at all.

And :rolleyes:
Islamists are a fact of life in the world.  You can scream at them until they go away (how is that working?) Or engage with them and pull them away from extremism.
██████
██████
██████

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Tyr on May 13, 2016, 07:23:53 AM
Islamists are a fact of life in the world.  You can scream at them until they go away (how is that working?) Or engage with them and pull them away from extremism.

Insh'Allah.   :P

PJL

Replace Islamists with fascists and you'll find the left responding to them in much the same way as the right does with the Islamists. It works both ways.

Valmy

I just think it's stupid so much is being made of this. Doesn't strike me as too bad at all.

So they go from a tiny minority who represent nobody to a fact of life that needs to be engaged with? Sad. And they are not a fact of life among the Muslim communities I know.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Martinus

Or you can exterminate them. That has worked in the past with representatives of other dangerous ideologies.

Seriously, I have never thought we would get to the point that someone on this forum advocates "engaging" with islamists.