News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

EU Immigration Crisis Megathread

Started by Tamas, June 15, 2015, 11:27:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zanza

You are right, but at the moment, the EU is just used as a vehicle to do exactly what crazy ivan describes, namely to make sure the refugees are stuck in their first port of call. Which is not what these people want nor what would be fair among the partner countries in the EU. So the existing EU policy here is a complete and utter failure. Germany should work towards changing that, not cementing it.

To work with your analogy, the current EU policy is akin to making all immigration from Latin America the sole problem of California, Arizona, New Mexico and Texas with negligible support from Washington DC.

alfred russel

Quote from: Zanza on August 17, 2015, 02:51:51 PM
To work with your analogy, the current EU policy is akin to making all immigration from Latin America the sole problem of California, Arizona, New Mexico and Texas with negligible support from Washington DC.

That actually has some reality in it. And is a reason California is going bankrupt. Texas doesn't have that problem because it doesn't really offer much in the way of government services.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Zanza

Germany now expects 650,000-750,000 asylum seekers in 2015. That will really stress our system that is not built for that kind of numbers.

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Zanza on August 18, 2015, 03:22:10 AM
Germany now expects 650,000-750,000 asylum seekers in 2015. That will really stress our system that is not built for that kind of numbers.

are all of the asylum seekers or are a great many actually economic immigrants.
The fact that these two categories are almost used interchangebly (and also the fact that many non-asylumseeking-migrants abuse the system by pretending to need asylum) is drastically decreasing the support for the asylum-system -given the numbers- I feel. And that can only be to the detriment of those who genuinly need asylum.

but I've said it before: there's worse to come and there will be a backlash. Politicians have too long ignored what the populace said about immigration, instead pretending it to be all positive, all the time. That is now over, or will be soon.
Better hang on to your hat.

Eddie Teach

There could easily be many times that number of legit asylum seekers. Much of the Middle East is pretty fucked up right now.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Norgy

In Norway, complaints are made about how "mass immigration" is changing society. Well, here are the actual facts:
- Norway only accept refugees and asylum seekers
- Norway is a member of the Schengen treaty and part of the economic union, so most "immigrants" are Poles, Swedes and from the god-forsaken Baltics

Another irony in this picture is that those males who complain the most about immigrants usually have Filipina or Thai wives.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

Quote from: Norgy on August 18, 2015, 07:19:16 AM
In Norway, complaints are made about how "mass immigration" is changing society. Well, here are the actual facts:
- Norway only accept refugees and asylum seekers
- Norway is a member of the Schengen treaty and part of the economic union, so most "immigrants" are Poles, Swedes and from the god-forsaken Baltics

Another irony in this picture is that those males who complain the most about immigrants usually have Filipina or Thai wives.

Immigration scares usually have little to do with facts. Believe me I should know.

Mass immigration is a good thing, it tends to create highly competitive dynamic societies. But that is probably why people find it so threatening. I shudder to think how moribund and backwards Texas would be without all those immigrants coming in. Without mass immigration there would be no Ted Cruz for Spicey to cruise with.

And yes it is normal that demagogues do not actually believe the things they say, it is about catering to the whims of the mob.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

In my opinion anybody who wants to come to the US should be allowed to come provided they are not some criminal nutcase. But those people are better at sneaking in anyway, anti-immigration laws only punish the law abiding.

If Europe wanted to be this dynamic world leading society again that is what they would do.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

garbon

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on August 18, 2015, 03:58:09 AM
There could easily be many times that number of legit asylum seekers. Much of the Middle East is pretty fucked up right now.

:yes:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote from: Syt on August 18, 2015, 07:24:48 AM

Well that is kind of the point isn't it? Shit people still need to eat. They don't want a bunch of hard working people coming in and changing the economy and society.

Josquius

Funny. And largely valid. But ignores the potential for exploitation and wage deflation.
██████
██████
██████

Syt

Quote from: Valmy on August 18, 2015, 08:06:46 AM
Well that is kind of the point isn't it? Shit people still need to eat. They don't want a bunch of hard working people coming in and changing the economy and society.

Well, in the mid term I think we will have more people who are useless to the job market either way, because low qualification jobs are ever on the decline, and if computer algorithms continue to improve, low to mid level white collar jobs might see the next extinction wave.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Norgy

Quote from: Valmy on August 18, 2015, 07:45:33 AM

If Europe wanted to be this dynamic world leading society again that is what they would do.

Well, I agree. Most of my countrymen don't.

We're standing in the middle of a humanitarian crisis on the shores of Southern Europe. Yet we wash our hands. Shameful and unacceptable.

Monoriu

Quote from: Valmy on August 18, 2015, 07:45:33 AM
In my opinion anybody who wants to come to the US should be allowed to come provided they are not some criminal nutcase.

You sure about that?  If this is official US policy, tens of millions of mainland Chinese will arrive at your shores in no time.