News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

White woman pretends to be black for prestige

Started by merithyn, June 12, 2015, 08:29:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on June 12, 2015, 12:04:10 PM
This is not some attempt to benefit from white guilt but fullbown madness.

It's both.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Malthus

Typically with pathological liars, getting attention is more important than tangible benefits. This case fits the pattern: she got positions that offered her lots of attention.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Ideologue

Quote from: derspiess on June 12, 2015, 12:02:47 PM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on June 12, 2015, 11:42:39 AM
You have to admit we've made a lot of progress on race when privileged white girls are pretending to be black for the benefits.  :lol:

Yep, victim status gets you some bennies these days.

I think there's maybe some truth to that, but it helps if one sticks to social context dwhere it is a benefit, which are small protective niches that the vast majority of black folk, women, etc. do not spend all (sometimes any) of their lives in.

People who crassly benefit from "victim culture" are, I'd expect, pretty rare.  And white dudes have a tendency to focus on those rare cases while enjoying benefits that remain invisible to them unless they're looking closely.  (It doesn't help that the most pervasive "privilege" is usually simply fair and decent treatment by authority figures, rather than out and out favoritism, which makes it more invisible since we'd hope everyone to get that.)
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

derspiess

Oh yeah, invisible racism.  Forgot about that.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

garbon

Quote from: Ideologue on June 12, 2015, 12:14:56 PM
People who crassly benefit from "victim culture" are, I'd expect, pretty rare. And white dudes have a tendency to focus on those rare cases while enjoying benefits that remain invisible to them unless they're looking closely. 

Nah, you must be joking, bro.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ideologue

Quote from: garbon on June 12, 2015, 12:20:12 PM
People who crassly benefit from "victim culture" are, I'd expect, pretty rare. And white dudes have a tendency to focus on those rare cases while enjoying benefits that remain invisible to them unless they're looking closely. 

Nah, you must be joking, bro.

?
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Valmy

(It doesn't help that the most pervasive "privilege" is usually simply fair and decent treatment by authority figures, rather than out and out favoritism, which makes it more invisible since we'd hope everyone to get that.)

Yep. "Privilege" is not really much of a privilege but rather what everybody should have. Which is why I find it funny when it is described as 'unearned privilege!!111'

Um do you really have to earn being treated decently and fairly?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on June 12, 2015, 12:24:12 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on June 12, 2015, 12:21:23 PM
?

Whenever garbon uses the word 'bro' you can assume he is being ironic.

Thank you. :lol:

Also, I like that d was able to take a story about a crazy white girl and turn it into "looking at all that money minorities be hogging up y'all".
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Malthus

Quote from: garbon on June 12, 2015, 12:26:04 PM
?

Also, I like that d was able to take a story about a crazy white girl and turn it into "looking at all that money minorities be hogging up y'all".

Whites really are superior - minorities can't even corner the market on hogging minority benefits.  :P
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

garbon

Quote from: Malthus on June 12, 2015, 12:27:54 PM
?

Whites really are superior - minorities can't even corner the market on hogging minority benefits.  :P

:lol:

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on June 12, 2015, 12:23:33 PM
Um do you really have to earn being treated decently and fairly?

Sadly survey says yes.

derspiess

?

:rolleyes:

garbon

Razgovory

Huh.  I'm a bit surprised by the reaction to this, particularly in the light of the recent discussions of transexuality.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017