News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

White woman pretends to be black for prestige

Started by merithyn, June 12, 2015, 08:29:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on June 12, 2015, 12:59:23 PM
No, seriously.  If a person man can decide that he feels  that he really is a woman and starts begins cross dressing and demanding that people refer to him as a woman, how is that different then a person who decides they feel "black" darkens their skin, and demands that people regard them as black?  Honest question here.

I don't know. I mean my experience on trans issues is colored by the fact the one trans dude I know in real life was obviously a boy as a toddler in a way that is hard to explain. I have never seen anything so visceral in mistaken race ID. But in either case I don't really care. Me pretending you are black doesn't really involve me doing anything I wouldn't do if you were white. Besides race is self-identified in the US isn't it?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

A few years ago I made the decision to identify as Argentine.  I appreciate all the support from you folks :hug:

edit: I'm considering growing my hair out and having my nose lengthened.  I've already started wearing my dress shirts with the top three buttons undone.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: derspiess on June 12, 2015, 01:00:53 PM
We don't know what she has or hasn't gotten from this without checking her bank accounts.  What she has gotten out of it are opportunities (Malthus mentioned the attention aspect) that would not be open to a white woman.  And local chapter NAACP Prez is a pretty good resume builder.

Nah, the only thing we really know she's gotten is a free education. That's not chump change, but it's not permanent rentier status either.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on June 12, 2015, 01:04:05 PM
The "transabled" thing now being talked about is a hoot. 

You can go pretty far down the rabbit hole alright.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on June 12, 2015, 01:10:21 PM
A few years ago I made the decision to identify as Argentine.  I appreciate all the support from you folks :hug:

I will write the Argentine government on your behalf Senor Spice :hug:

Grey Fox

edit: I'm considering growing my hair out and having my nose lengthened.  I've already started wearing my dress shirts with the top three buttons undone.

So, you are a Communist.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

derspiess

Quote from: Grey Fox on June 12, 2015, 01:32:03 PM

So, you are a Communist.

No.  I think I'll be the wealthy agricultural baron type of Argie.  Everyone I know who is into farming down there is making a buttload of money.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Malthus

Quote from: derspiess on June 12, 2015, 01:34:00 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on June 12, 2015, 01:32:03 PM

So, you are a Communist.

No.  I think I'll be the wealthy agricultural baron type of Argie.  Everyone I know who is into farming down there is making a buttload of money.

Say hi to Hitler when you run into him. He must be getting on in years now.   :P
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

derspiess

Ideologue

Quote from: Razgovory on June 12, 2015, 12:59:23 PM
Quote from: Valmy on June 12, 2015, 12:55:34 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on June 12, 2015, 12:54:09 PM
If she only claimed to be black would it then be okay?

It would be like converting to Judaism. Her soul was always black :P

No, seriously.  If a person man can decide that he feels  that he really is a woman and starts begins cross dressing and demanding that people refer to him as a woman, how is that different then a person who decides they feel "black" darkens their skin, and demands that people regard them as black?  Honest question here.

One, I'm sure it's not an honest question. Two, one is a sexual identity, which is intimate and determines at a fundamental level how one relates to one's own sexuality (not to mention how others do), while the other is almost exclusively about community identity and social fellowship.

One's about fucking, the other's about hanging out and civic activities.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Transablism, meanwhile, is a mental illness and economic sabotage, and is prima facia grounds for sterilization and/or transportation to the gulag.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Maximus

Quote from: Valmy on June 12, 2015, 01:07:48 PM
Besides race is self-identified in the US isn't it?
Exactly. If she says she's black, she's black. There's no objective definition to prove her wrong.

Martinus

What does she do for set-up and performance then?

Martinus

Anyway, isn't it funny how people don't bat an eye when someone says they are a different gender, but it's a huge no-no with race? :P

Ideologue

Quote from: Martinus on June 12, 2015, 01:51:52 PM
Anyway, isn't it funny how people don't bat an eye when someone says they are a different gender, but it's a huge no-no with race? :P

No, Raz.
Kinemalogue