Main Menu

The Apostasy of the Syt

Started by Syt, June 05, 2015, 06:43:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on June 05, 2015, 07:59:55 AM
Quote from: Brazen on June 05, 2015, 07:49:00 AM
Quote from: Syt on June 05, 2015, 06:43:57 AM
Church membership incurs fees that are collected by the financial authorities on behalf of the churches at the same time your tax/social security is deducted from your salary payout. I paid, IIRC, 20, 25 or so EUR/month in Germany.
:o How 17th Century. Best the church I got baptised at got was 20p in the collection on school services.

That's something expats in Germany discovery very quickly. Among the first questions asked when registering at the city hall. Sometimes, they're told to pretend they are not religious to avoid pretend it, despite baptism. Lately, German churches have been using baptism archives abroad so some people had some bad surprises.

I never announced my religion here, but the church still found me. And they keep track of you moving apartments.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Syt on June 05, 2015, 08:28:09 AM
I never announced my religion here, but the church still found me. And they keep track of you moving apartments.

Überwachungsstaat!  :pope: :tinfoil:

Valmy

I am glad German efficiency still lives on someplace.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

Quote from: Syt on June 05, 2015, 08:28:09 AM

My church (meaning specific location/congregation) has so many people they've 1) greatly increased the barriers requirements to join, and 2) don't really seem to care a whole lot if you veer away.  They've had to expand the church building and are gradually taking over an entire block of buildings.  They make it seem as they are growing only grudgingly.  You definitely get the feeling that they'd be okay if you stopped going or went somewhere else.

Oh, and I contribute to the offering plate whenever I'm at a service, but during football season they get less money from me.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Ed Anger

We, as in the family, went Methodist. The Baptist church she liked went clique-ish and had bad juju going on.

So the kids watch Despicable Me on Sundays and I still skip church.

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Syt

2011 statistic for Vienna:

41.3% Roman-Catholic
11.6% Muslim
8.4% Orthodox
4.2% Protestant
2.9% Other
31.6% No affiliation
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on June 05, 2015, 08:38:23 AM
My church (meaning specific location/congregation) has so many people they've 1) greatly increased the barriers requirements to join, and 2) don't really seem to care a whole lot if you veer away.  They've had to expand the church building and are gradually taking over an entire block of buildings.  They make it seem as they are growing only grudgingly.  You definitely get the feeling that they'd be okay if you stopped going or went somewhere else.

Oh, and I contribute to the offering plate whenever I'm at a service, but during football season they get less money from me.

:unsure: Why are you telling us this?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Martinus

Quote from: Syt on June 05, 2015, 07:05:05 AMI don't believe in God or a higher power (though I consider it impossible to disprove the existence of such an entity with 100% certainty).

Doesn't mean I don't respect religious beliefs.

So that's opposite for me. :P

Ed Anger

Quote from: Syt on June 05, 2015, 08:44:22 AM

41.3% Roman-Catholic
11.6% Muslim
8.4% Orthodox
4.2% Protestant
2.9% Other
31.6% No affiliation

11.6% too much of one group.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Archy

Over here as a restover of the French Revolution the recognized churches (the biggest off course the Mother Church of Rome about 90%)
are paid by the state and their priests are also paid by the state from the general income. There's no specific tax for this like in Germany.

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on June 05, 2015, 08:45:07 AM
Quote from: derspiess on June 05, 2015, 08:38:23 AM

:unsure: Why are you telling us this?

In my mind I started with something relative to the topic, but kind of went off on a tangent.  I do that sometimes.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Malthus

41.3% Roman-Catholic
11.6% Muslim
8.4% Orthodox
4.2% Protestant
2.9% Other
31.6% No affiliation

Congradulations Europe - you managed to replace  :Joos  with :osama:

:P
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Barrister

Quote from: Ed Anger on June 05, 2015, 08:48:47 AM

41.3% Roman-Catholic
11.6% Muslim
8.4% Orthodox
4.2% Protestant
2.9% Other
31.6% No affiliation

11.6% too much of one group.

:yes:

29.7% Catholic would be a much more manageable number.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Ideologue

Euro barbarism. That's like 2.5 blu-rays, every month.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)