Main Menu

The Apostasy of the Syt

Started by Syt, June 05, 2015, 06:43:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Quote from: Malthus on June 05, 2015, 10:37:30 AM
Congradulations Europe - you managed to replace  :Joos  with :osama:

:P

It's acually true for Vienna. Pre-war Jewish population was about what the Muslim %-age is now.

Also, Books & Bagles closed their shop here. :(
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Ideologue on June 05, 2015, 01:00:30 PM
Euro barbarism. That's like 2.5 blu-rays, every month.

You could probably get 20 blu-rays in China.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on June 05, 2015, 07:59:55 AM

That's something expats in Germany discovery very quickly. Among the first questions asked when registering at the city hall. Sometimes, they're told to pretend they are not religious to avoid pretend it, despite baptism. Lately, German churches have been using baptism archives abroad so some people had some bad surprises.

The US has literally hundreds of denominations. Do they only track members of the main ones that exist in Germany or what?
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Syt

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on June 05, 2015, 02:02:53 PM

That's something expats in Germany discovery very quickly. Among the first questions asked when registering at the city hall. Sometimes, they're told to pretend they are not religious to avoid pretend it, despite baptism. Lately, German churches have been using baptism archives abroad so some people had some bad surprises.

The US has literally hundreds of denominations. Do they only track members of the main ones that exist in Germany or what?

The two big groups in Germany are Lutherans and Roman-Catholics (almost 60%). They're collecting through the state revenue. There's a few more doing it that way (Unitarians, Jewish Congreations, e.g.). Peopl without religious affiliation are over 30%, so that's over 90% of the population covered.

Other groups (Jehova's Witnesses, Seventh Day Adventists, Mormons, Muslims, etc.) don't charge directly.

In Bavaria/Baden-Württemberg, church tax (for those in churches that charge it) is 8% of the income tax, in other states 9%.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

How un-Biblical :angry:

It is supposed to be a tenth -_-
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Ideologue on June 05, 2015, 01:00:30 PM
Euro barbarism. That's like 2.5 blu-rays, every month.

But not Criterions or their local equivalents. Relax. :)

Duque de Bragança

In Hessen (Frankfurt am Main), they only asked if you were Catholic or Protestant, to give you a precise example.

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: derspiess on June 05, 2015, 08:38:23 AM

My church (meaning specific location/congregation) has so many people they've 1) greatly increased the barriers requirements to join, .

that seems oddly contradictory for a church... Imagine of Paul had done that back then. We'd all be Mithras-worshippers now.

Zanza

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on June 05, 2015, 03:16:10 PM

In Hessen (Frankfurt am Main), they only asked if you were Catholic or Protestant, to give you a precise example.
And Protestant means the Lutheran quasi state church, not all those other Protestant denominations.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point