David Frum: What If the Allies Had Lost World War One?

Started by jimmy olsen, June 03, 2015, 10:14:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Quote from: Martinus on June 03, 2015, 11:06:56 PM
Is it really right to call any side in WWI "allies"? The allies vs the axis were the parties in the WWII. The WWI was about the entente cordiale vs the central alliance.
Yep.
In WW1 it was the allies vs the entente.
The allies did lose WW1 (so did the entente really but... You know)
██████
██████
██████

garbon

Quote from: Tyr on June 04, 2015, 04:16:28 AM
Quote from: Martinus on June 03, 2015, 11:06:56 PM
Is it really right to call any side in WWI "allies"? The allies vs the axis were the parties in the WWII. The WWI was about the entente cordiale vs the central alliance.
Yep.
In WW1 it was the allies vs the entente.
The allies did lose WW1 (so did the entente really but... You know)

As was already noted though, in practice, it generally isn't the Central Powers that one is talking about when one says the Allies of WW1.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Warspite

If the Central Powers win in 1917 I would have bet you still get a re-run mid-century.

Austria-Hungary still falls apart, only on a different timeline.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Norgy

Quote from: Tamas on June 04, 2015, 03:10:50 AM
If the Allies lost WW1, we would have a half-functioning united European economical zone dominated by Germany and hindered by various national petty differences and half-baked policies.

That's probably very close to the truth.
Niall Ferguson edited a book about counter-factual history. The title escapes me.

The article about "Mitteleuropa" after a German victory in WW I in typical British fashion sees it as almost an early EU. I think that's probably well too optimistic.

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: Warspite on June 04, 2015, 05:10:38 AM
If the Central Powers win in 1917 I would have bet you still get a re-run mid-century.

An uglier, bloodier, more drawn-out timeline.

As to the re-run, I wonder what would have happened to the likelihood of that if WWI had ended before it went chemical.

Tamas

Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on June 04, 2015, 06:36:18 AM

As to the re-run, I wonder what would have happened to the likelihood of that if WWI had ended before it went chemical.

The nasty war propaganda was full swing well before the gas attacks.

That re-run would probably had seen a nazi-ish humiliated France trying and magnificently failin to take revenge on Germany, while nazi-ish Britain looked at it with neutrality.

Valmy

France would probably burn itself out in a brutal civil war with the left and the right blaming each other for the sufferings of the war and defeat. I see no reason the the right would necessarily win and even if it did Fascist Italy would be more similar to it than Nazi Germany.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Warspite

France goes through political turmoil even as a victor; no reason Germany wouldn't either.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Norgy

Quote from: Tamas on June 04, 2015, 07:16:25 AM
Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on June 04, 2015, 06:36:18 AM

The nasty war propaganda was full swing well before the gas attacks.

That re-run would probably had seen a nazi-ish humiliated France trying and magnificently failin to take revenge on Germany, while nazi-ish Britain looked at it with neutrality.

I don't think Britain really has room for fascism.

Wait. They had Thatcher.  ;)
Yes, people, this time it was a joke.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Queequeg

Quote from: Tamas on June 04, 2015, 03:10:50 AM
If the Allies lost WW1, we would have a half-functioning united European economical zone dominated by Germany and hindered by various national petty differences and half-baked policies.
And millions of dead Greeks, Armenians and Assyrians.   And then as the cold war with the US heats up, Germany would inevitably go further down the Pan-Germanic route to Nazism until you end up with much of the apparatus of the Third Reich, only they're already firmly entrenched across all of Europe.

Nope.  Just nope.  The Hapsburg Empire was a rotten carcass that deserved to be torn apart, and the Ottoman Empire was hampered in its proto-Nazi ambitions only by its incompetence. I am infinitely fascinated by and love Imperial Germany, but it's really the only worthwhile state in the entire Central Powers.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Valmy

Quote from: Queequeg on June 04, 2015, 09:04:47 AM
I am infinitely fascinated by and love Imperial Germany

Why? It is just a modern state hamstrung by archaic nonsense.

QuoteThe Hapsburg Empire was a rotten carcass that deserved to be torn apart

Deserving has nothing to do with anything. It represented the hope for a united and prosperous multi-national state. The Habsburgs needed to be made powerless figureheads though. Weird that you attack the Ottomans for their crazy nationalist ambitions but you support them in the case of the Habsburg Empire.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Warspite

On the plus side, we don't get Sykes-Picot, and my work today is a lot easier :p

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Valmy

Quote from: Warspite on June 04, 2015, 09:09:31 AM
On the plus side, we don't get Sykes-Picot, and my work today is a lot easier :p

Maybe. As in maybe your work today is easier not that you still might get Sykes-Picot :P