David Frum: What If the Allies Had Lost World War One?

Started by jimmy olsen, June 03, 2015, 10:14:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on June 08, 2015, 12:58:32 PM
I'm guessing raz is referencing the "neo reactionaries", sometimes posited to have a connection with libertarians as per say: http://noahpinionblog.blogspot.com/2014/01/neoreactionaries.html

I have my doubts whether these views really exist, beyond maybe a dozen or so guys in the internet, and a few more fellow travelers who like playing along for fun.

I believe Jeb Bush recently said he was reading a lot of Charles Murray, a man who's work fall into that category.  I don't think he's mentioned in your blog post, but he certainly has whole racist, anti-democracy, libertarian thing going on.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

dps

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 08, 2015, 12:22:34 PM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on June 08, 2015, 01:21:06 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on June 07, 2015, 08:13:42 PMProperty restrictions on voting still has some adherents (I've seen it in discussed in libertarian circles).  I reject this as absurd, but people genuinely believe it.

Show us these remarks so that we may mock them. I've never met anyone who believes that. Should be funny.

The other side of this is that many if not all local governments give voting rights to people who own property but who do not live in that jurisdiction.

Care to elaborate on that bit?

Quote from: RazgovoryAnd what would be a balanced analysis of the most important facet of libertarianism?

To start with, a balanced analysis would probably not advance the notion that freedom from taxation is the most important facet of libertarianism.

crazy canuck

Quote from: dps on June 09, 2015, 04:03:03 PM

Owning property still gives voting rights.  Would Frum/Berkut say that renders our society undemocratic?

Berkut

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 09, 2015, 04:05:55 PM

Owning property still gives voting rights.  Would Frum/Berkut say that renders our society undemocratic?

Only if it results in 2/3rds of the people who should be voting not being allowed to vote.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

crazy canuck

Quote from: Berkut on June 09, 2015, 04:50:03 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on June 09, 2015, 04:05:55 PM

Only if it results in 2/3rds of the people who should be voting not being allowed to vote.

Probably the best argument for why your analysis is so arbitrary. :P

Razgovory

To start with, a balanced analysis would probably not advance the notion that freedom from taxation is the most important facet of libertarianism.

Then what is it?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017