News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Windows 10

Started by Liep, June 01, 2015, 04:42:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

lustindarkness

Grand Duke of Lurkdom

viper37

Quote from: lustindarkness on November 01, 2015, 01:45:44 PM
Quote from: viper37 on November 01, 2015, 01:30:50 PM
Quote from: lustindarkness on November 01, 2015, 01:17:25 PM
Well, it has not blown up in my face yet.
You can use this app to disable tracking:
https://github.com/10se1ucgo/DisableWinTracking/releases

Explain please, why would I need this?
If you are concerned about the information you may be leaking to Microsoft.  They don't use any information that could personally identify you, but they still track your on-line behavior for advertising purposes.  There are ways inside Windows to disable these, but I found this tool to be easier.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Josephus

New Windows Update...apparently Canadians get Certina now. Me, not sure, Update been stuck on 10 per cent for 10 minutes  :mad:
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

mongers

I need to have a look at this tomorrow, I have it on a tablet but havent' had a play to assess it's utility.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Josephus

updated but can't get Cortana to work. Bitch gets stuck at the select language I understand part. I pick English (Canada) but can't see to go past that screen.

Oh well, back to Siri on my phone with her Australian accent
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

viper37

Quote from: Josephus on November 13, 2015, 11:09:58 PM
updated but can't get Cortana to work. Bitch gets stuck at the select language I understand part. I pick English (Canada) but can't see to go past that screen.

you may not be a true canadian in your speech.
Make sure to sing God Save the Queen every morning for Cortana to properly register your speech.
Also, don't forget to use metric and add a 'u' to every 'or'.
That should do the trick ;)

Josephus

Quote from: viper37 on November 16, 2015, 01:09:33 AM
Quote from: Josephus on November 13, 2015, 11:09:58 PM

you may not be a true canadian in your speech.
Make sure to sing God Save the Queen every morning for Cortana to properly register your speech.
Also, don't forget to use metric and add a 'u' to every 'or'.
That should do the trick ;)

You're right, eh
Civis Romanus Sum

Josquius

Thinking in the next month that I'll buy an SSD and use that as my chance to make the switch. :ph34r:
██████
██████
██████

Josephus

Latest Windows 10 update seems to have killed Windows Defender. :mad:
Civis Romanus Sum

Liep

I updated yesterday and I still have it.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Josephus

Two reboots seems to  have fixed it.  :)
Civis Romanus Sum

Liep

I don't know if it's windows or if it's a hardware problem. I fear it's the latter. Every now and then when loading Windows it just reads "A disk error occurred - Press ctrl-alt-del", when I do it usually starts up without problems the next time. But it's getting more frequently.

Do I need to think about backing up and buying a new SSD?
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

viper37

Quote from: Liep on January 18, 2016, 03:33:52 AM
Do I need to think about backing up and buying a new SSD?
Backing up, yes absolutely.  Buying a new one... wait a little longer.

Try Windows built in chkdsk feature first, to see if something can be found:
http://www.thewindowsclub.com/disk-error-checking-windows-8
It does not have much use for a SSD, but it will also check your other hard drive.

Then check the 3rd post here:
http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/run-chkdsk-on-ssd-794490.html
do as it says.

Even though it says "Disk error", it could be something else, like a memory (RAM error). 
try this:
http://www.howto-connect.com/windows-10-detect-ram-issues-with-windows-memory-diagnostic-tool/

If nothing reports any problem, then it could be something else entirely, or some random error that would be harder to check for.  There are more sophisticated tests you could run, that requires other free utilities, but you'll need to create a USB stick for these softwares.

Josquius

On ssds. .... I read they've a problem with limited writes.
Yet..... they're the place for virtual memory right?  A very write intensive thing....
██████
██████
██████