News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Windows 10

Started by Liep, June 01, 2015, 04:42:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

Yes, that's the biggest trade off.

A simple solution, buy more ram & don't use virtual memory.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Liep

Quote from: viper37 on January 18, 2016, 10:15:25 AM
Quote from: Liep on January 18, 2016, 03:33:52 AM
Do I need to think about backing up and buying a new SSD?
Backing up, yes absolutely.  Buying a new one... wait a little longer.

Try Windows built in chkdsk feature first, to see if something can be found:
http://www.thewindowsclub.com/disk-error-checking-windows-8
It does not have much use for a SSD, but it will also check your other hard drive.

Then check the 3rd post here:
http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/run-chkdsk-on-ssd-794490.html
do as it says.

Even though it says "Disk error", it could be something else, like a memory (RAM error). 
try this:
http://www.howto-connect.com/windows-10-detect-ram-issues-with-windows-memory-diagnostic-tool/

If nothing reports any problem, then it could be something else entirely, or some random error that would be harder to check for.  There are more sophisticated tests you could run, that requires other free utilities, but you'll need to create a USB stick for these softwares.

Thanks, tried those and they showed nothing.

I have all my documents and photos online so I guess it won't be a disaster if the drive quits eventually.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

viper37

could be a windows error, or a bios error.
Before rushing to the store for a new drive, I'd try the laster bios and the latest chipset/drive controller (usually the same) drivers.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Josquius

Upgraded.
My judgement - eww.
The start menu is badly designed. Doesn't work half as well.
What's worse is all the compatability issues. Can't sync my ipod anymore. Bah.
██████
██████
██████

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Tyr on February 18, 2016, 04:09:10 PM
Upgraded.
My judgement - eww.

Even with the latest version of iTunes?  Check your services and make sure "ipodsvc" is running- since iPods natively run a proprietary storage mode (most MP3 players just show up as USB mass storage, same as external hard drives), Windows can't push to them without that service translating.
Experience bij!

Josquius

I can't even install the latest version  of iTunes.  Google seems to suggest it has big problems with 64 bit win 10.
██████
██████
██████

Grey Fox

Upgraded.
My judgement - eww.

Microsoft wants you to stop using the start menu.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Arvoreen

Odd, I have the latest 64 bit iTunes on my Windows 10 box.  Works just fine with my iPad.

Not that the  upgrade was the smoothest ever....but 10 is light years better than 8/8.1 ever was.

garbon

I don't have any problem with the start menu. I've pinned the programs that I use most and then only need to go into the full list for those more rarely used ones. A bit easier to deal with than those unwieldy days of the older start menu that could blossom across your entire screen.

Of course my impression might be colored by using my new 2-in-1 where it works great to type on a solid keyboard but then also click with pen or my finger on the tablet when easier.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

viper37

Upgraded.
My judgement - eww.
your could use a Startmenu replacement.  I like it the way it is, but I understand the frustrations of some people :)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: garbon on February 19, 2016, 04:46:28 PM
I don't have any problem with the start menu. I've pinned the programs that I use most and then only need to go into the full list for those more rarely used ones. A bit easier to deal with than those unwieldy days of the older start menu that could blossom across your entire screen.

Of course my impression might be colored by using my new 2-in-1 where it works great to type on a solid keyboard but then also click with pen or my finger on the tablet when easier.

:yes: Most of the time, I don't even muck around with the start menu, since the apps are well indexed enough that I'll just start talking the app name in and run it from the search results.  On the other hand, Internet browsing using touch input is way more fluid and quick.
Experience bij!

Josquius

I've never really used the start menu in the old windows xp navigating into it way.
However the search being integrated with the interent is a pain.  Doesn't seem to work so well for programs.
██████
██████
██████

garbon

Quote from: garbon on February 19, 2016, 04:46:28 PM

Just got myself a bluetooth mouse. Cursor glides like a dream. Always bothered me that other wireless mouses had to have that little receiver bit.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

HVC

Built a new computer and installed windows 10. Used Spybot Beacon to disable all the tracking, although after auto-updates some of it was turned back on, which is less than pleasing. a big jump from windows 7, and i'm still getting used to it, but it seems fine so far.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

MadBurgerMaker

Does anyone know if there's a way to set up windows to use location services to automatically log you in when you're in a certain place (at home, for example)?  Internet searches turn up all sorts of unrelated things, mostly about how location services are the devil and such.

E: My camera apparently sucks too much to use the facial recognition in Windows Hello, or that would work just as well.  I'm trying something called Keylemon.  Probably going to have Russians hijacking my computer within the next 10 minutes. E2: Huh.  It works.  Well alright then.