And we're back!

Main Menu

Windows 10

Started by Liep, June 01, 2015, 04:42:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Monoriu

Quote from: Tonitrus on July 31, 2015, 11:35:44 PM
Quote from: Monoriu on July 30, 2015, 06:12:25 AM
I'll do everything in my power to stop my computer from upgrading itself to Windows 10.

I want Bill Gates to build Skynet.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Agelastus on August 01, 2015, 09:37:02 AM
Quote from: Josephus on August 01, 2015, 09:24:28 AM
When I get around to installing this, will it delete everything on my computer (game save files, documents, etc?)

All your files will still be there; it doesn't overwrite them.

This.  Part of the configuration checker is to look at what programs you've got installed- if you've got unknown or incompatible programs, it should (in theory) prevent you from doing the live update and recommend you do a clean install and replace programs as you go.
Experience bij!

Agelastus

:mad:

"Bog" standard Windows Photo Viewer no longer reads how the folder is set up (in this case, date modified) - instead it persists in displaying the next alphabetically named image when you press the "next" button.

Is anyone else having this issue - I can't decide if this is a bug with the installation or yet another example of Microsoft's "My Way or the High Way" approach. :glare:
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

garbon

I said "bog standard" one day and then felt that I had let myself down. :angry: :blush:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Agelastus

Quote from: garbon on August 01, 2015, 04:44:00 PM
I said "bog standard" one day and then felt that I had let myself down. :angry: :blush:

"bog standard" or "bog, standard"?
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: viper37 on July 31, 2015, 01:43:39 PM
Quote from: DontSayBanana on July 31, 2015, 01:13:35 PM
Quote from: viper37 on July 31, 2015, 12:56:48 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on July 31, 2015, 10:42:08 AM
:hmm:

You are on your own, my copy still hasn't showed up.
you can download the ISO and install it once you've reserved your copy.  I'm not touching this for now.

Just went to the computer shop, he told me it was a loose cable inside.  The HTPC worked fine there.  Come back here, can't start it anymore.
1 long beep, 3 short.
It's either a video card problem (wich is integrated on the Intel CPU) or a ram problem.

In my experience, behavior that erratic is almost always a RAM problem.  Are all your RAM sticks the same or did you do them in pairs?

looks like we have a winner :)
defective DRAM module, as it looks so far.

Vipes says upgrading is harmless take 2?

Grey Fox

Quote from: Liep on July 31, 2015, 01:09:09 PM
Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on July 31, 2015, 12:47:58 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on July 31, 2015, 10:42:08 AM
:hmm:

You are on your own, my copy still hasn't showed up.

Yeah that's weird.  My wife's copy hasn't showed up either.  The little program still just says "Thanks For Reserving Your Copy!" or whatever.  Or at least it did this morning before I left.

Have you checked your Windows Update? Mine showed an upgrade failure so I had to do this to restart it:

Quote1. Go into "C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download" and delete everything in that folder. (If you're unable to complete this step, look at "edit 5" down below)
2. Now, run the command prompt as an administrator. Type in "wuauclt.exe /updatenow".
3. Go to your Control Panel > Windows Update and your Windows 10 should start re-downloading from scratch, hopefully without flaws this time.

Worked perfectly after this.

Yep that was my issue.

I am all upgraded now.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

katmai

From all the issues in the thread, happy i am still waiting on upgrade notice.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Monoriu

Quote from: katmai on August 01, 2015, 09:41:03 PM
From all the issues in the thread, happy i am still waiting on upgrade notice.

Katmai is wise :yes:

Grey Fox

To be fair, that's just Viper.

viper37

Quote from: garbon on August 01, 2015, 08:18:56 PM
Vipes says upgrading is harmless take 2?
just make sure there's no faulty hardware first... :glare:

And if you aren't confident in fixing any problems by yourself, wait 'til your Windows notify you that Win10 upgrade is ready.  It might be there are some bugs in Windows, or some drivers that will need an updage before Win10 is ready to install. 

There's no rush.  It boots faster than Win8.1, but so far, I don't see much of a difference elsewhere.  Granted, it was only the HTPC, not the gaming machine.  And I'm not sure I want to upgrade the office computers just yet...
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Grey Fox

The new Film & TV app is pretty good. Even decoded a .mp4 file by default.

viper37

no HDMI sound on the HTPC

:bleeding: :ultra:
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

garbon

Great, everyday now my computer flashes up to let me know I should switch to 10.