News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Windows 10

Started by Liep, June 01, 2015, 04:42:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lustindarkness

I think I will stay away for a few days, I can't risk losing the ability to log on to all the different Navy systems each with a different security setting <_<.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Liep

This post is coming from inside Windows 10.

First impression: it seems very fast.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Liep

Trying their new browser.

ArghhH!!!1 Ads. Ads everywhere. :bleeding:
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Liep

2nd impression: So goddamn many ads and "top sites". No, msn.com isn't my top site, never has been, never will be. FUCK OFF.

Chrome, sweet Chrome!

UPDATE: Even had to switch to Chrome before being able to post this. Edge continually gave me Session time out errors. :lol:

Liep

3rd impression: errors to the left, errors to the right! Windows programmes keep shutting down, the Store is basically useless (nothing downloads), mouse pointer keeps going into "loading" mode for no apparent reason.

MadBurgerMaker

Your install might be screwed up.  I went from 8.1 Pro > 10 Pro with the standard install window thing and haven't had any problems at all.  An app I randomly chose from the store (TuneIn radio) just downloaded and installed and seems to run okay streaming a local radio station.  My bookmark folders that I imported to newIE are all out of order, which is irritating, but I can post using it, apparently.  The icons at the top feel, along with pretty much everything else up there, like theyre too big though.  Comparing it to Chrome on the identical monitor next to it, all of the Chrome shit at the top (tabs, address bar and bookmark bar) take up the same amount of space as just the tab and address bar of new browser.  The bookmarks bar is a complete line lower.  Need to see if I can change that somewhere in the stupid looking settings menus. 

I did notice earlier that I don't seem to be able to add a different search provider (default is, of course, Bing).  It goes to the page to do it but the options are greyed out. 

Liep

Aye, that's another thing. The settings tabs are really acting up.

Regarding the Store error, Google tells me I'm not alone and it's probably a server overload error.

MadBurgerMaker

I wonder if you can run some sort of repair on your installation and see if some of those issues are resolved without redoing the whole thing.

MadBurgerMaker

Strange thing:  The volume control seems to think this radio station that I muted and forgot was running is Even Flow by Pearl Jam (e: it's 1200 AM, the main local talk radio station that...isn't...Pearl Jam).   :hmm:  I guess I have that on this drive somewhere.  I didnt think I had transferred my music yet, but I guess I did.  Or something?

Changing it to other local stations, it seems to work correctly, either showing the radio station name or the song currently playing, but when I go back to WOAI which is apparently endless commercials, it says it's Pearl Jam.  :lol:  Album art and everything.  Well, Rearviewmirror, not Ten. Lolz 760 The Ticket (Sports Radio) is Dr. Feelgood.  Must be something with the talk radio stations.

Syt

Solitaire and Minesweeper are now AdWare, unless you pay for a subscription: http://www.pcgamer.com/windows-10-solitaire-requires-a-subscription-to-remove-ads/
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Grey Fox

Ah, the world we live in.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Monoriu

I'll do everything in my power to stop my computer from upgrading itself to Windows 10. 

Liep

Got curious about the new Solitaire. It took 2 minutes to open up the programme and agree to various privacy thingies, log on to xbox, more privacy things.

Fired up a game of FreeCell and didn't see any ads until the end. The winning display is worse than usual and the game itself looks like something that should've died with Windows ME.

But I haven't played solitaire games on windows since I got my ipad, so I guess I don't really care.

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: Monoriu on July 30, 2015, 06:12:25 AM
I'll do everything in my power to stop my computer from upgrading itself to Windows 10.

You don't have to do anything. 

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: Grey Fox on July 29, 2015, 12:03:31 PM
Apparently The Logitech updater is killing it. Also a Nvidia version was doing it.

Might be the root of my error last night.  I think I am going to try upgrading my Win8.1 VM first.