News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Windows 10

Started by Liep, June 01, 2015, 04:42:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Liep

So I have a new icon in my notification tray that says I have a free upgrade to Windows 10 (currently on 7).

Is that something I should do? I mean, they skipped a number so it must be good.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Caliga

It's free, so why not?  I just registered for it myself.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Darth Wagtaros

You totally should.  Totally. Should. 
PDH!

Grey Fox

Do It. Windows PC need to do away with having to support so many versions.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Syt

I believe the offer is good for up to one year after release of Win10? I will hold off for a few months (though by that time I might have a new PC, anyways).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Grey Fox

They said so, yes.

They also announced the release date : July 29th.

Norgy

Technical preview version already available.
I wouldn't go for that one yet, unless you really, really know what you are doing. But Win 10 seems like a safe bet. And will have a new DirectX version.

Syt

Whatever the final product will be like, it seems that MS have learned from the Win8 debacle ("You'll buy it and you will LIKE it!"). Now it's all, "Hey, you can have it for free. And it will be familiar (but so much better), and run on your current hardware*!"

*Unless your PC sucks in which case it won't.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Norgy

If you own a PC that can run Win 7, it probably will pull off Win 10 as well. From what I have gathered, it will be lighter.

I am not ready to upgrade yet, as I need to back the fuck up my personal files and folders.

I write Win 8 off as another Win ME.

garbon

It looks like to get 10 for free, I'd have to upgrade to Windows 8.1. I'm afraid to do so given how the last time I upgraded to 8.1, my computer broke. <_<
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josquius

Do I really want to potentially fuck up my perfectly fine windows 7 pc? :hmm:
██████
██████
██████

Grey Fox

Quote from: garbon on June 01, 2015, 03:21:29 PM
It looks like to get 10 for free, I'd have to upgrade to Windows 8.1. I'm afraid to do so given how the last time I upgraded to 8.1, my computer broke. <_<

Did you do that off the battery, the last time?

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Grey Fox

I assume you have a laptop, I asking if you were updating without being plugged in into the wall.

Monoriu

I am very worried.  I am using Windows 7 now.  Will it automatically install Windows 10?  If so, I need to find a way to prevent it before it happens.  Any ideas for the computer illiterate?