News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Fuck Nokia and Siemens

Started by Martinus, June 22, 2009, 11:51:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DisturbedPervert

If only Iran hadn't been sold this technology, we might be able to see cell phone pictures of what's going on there.

Martinus

Quote from: garbon on June 22, 2009, 12:33:13 PM
I doubt I'll turn into grallon, I don't like young men/boys. Thanks for keeping me in your thoughts though. :)

It's not about liking young men/boys. It's about being a cynical, bitter shell of a man who does not believe in anything.

garbon

Quote from: Martinus on June 22, 2009, 12:35:09 PM
It's not about liking young men/boys. It's about being a cynical, bitter shell of a man who does not believe in anything.

But that's not accurate.  At any rate, a cynical, bitter shell of a man would probably make for better company than a poseur like you, always ready to try out a new affectation.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Zanza

Quote from: Martinus on June 22, 2009, 12:26:19 PM
This kind of moral equivalency is why regimes like Iran are allowed to fester for so long. For me, it's a moral issue - and I am not going to buy their products any more.
Do you think the Iranians would be better of without any modern communication technology? Like say North Korea where the government can just brainwash them totally because they have no way to know what happens in the outside world? I think that information is the strongest weapon against an oppressive regime and giving millions of Iranians internet access will weaken the ability of the government to control information. They are trying now, but you can still find Neda on the net. Without internet access for the masses, would we even hear anything from Teheran?

PDH

This isn't about logic, Zanza, it is about gay rights.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

DGuller

I agree with the evil German industrialist.  Flawed Internet access is way better than none at all, and it is indeed a much stronger weapon against authoriarian regimes than any military action.

Neil

Quote from: Martinus on June 22, 2009, 12:15:49 PM
Quote from: Zanza on June 22, 2009, 12:12:19 PM
There is no network technology that does not allow the providers to control the traffic. The only way that the Iranian government could not misuse this is to not have internet at all in Iran.

I still do not see how this alleviates Nokia/Siemen's responsibility in any way. "If we didn't do it, someone else would have." is not really a good defense, luv.
Alright, how's this:  If they hadn't, then all those cellphones and internet devices and whatnot that are allowing you to snivel with indignation wouldn't function.

You really should think these things through before you just fly off the handle.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Iormlund

On a completely unrelated topic, the evil German industrialist will be happy to know my boss has purchased a new boa ... err, Class R280.

Neil

Quote from: Martinus on June 22, 2009, 12:26:19 PM
- and I am not going to buy their products any more.
Well no shit.  They're not Apple.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

ulmont

Nokia Siemens response:

QuoteRecent media reports have speculated about Nokia Siemens Networks' role in providing monitoring capability to Iran.  To clarify: Nokia Siemens Networks has provided Lawful Intercept capability solely for the monitoring of local voice calls in Iran.  Nokia Siemens Networks has not provided any deep packet inspection, web censorship or Internet filtering capability to Iran.

In most countries around the world, including all EU member states and the U.S., telecommunications networks are legally required to have the capability for Lawful Intercept and this is also the case in Iran.  Lawful Intercept is specified in standards defined by ETSI (European Telecommunications Standards Institute) and the 3GPP (3rd Generation Partnership Project).

To fulfill this Lawful Intercept requirement as part of an expansion to provide further mobile connectivity to Iran in the second half of 2008, Nokia Siemens Networks provided TCI, the Iranian national operator, with the capability to conduct voice monitoring of local calls on its fixed and mobile network.

The restricted functionality monitoring center provided by Nokia Siemens Networks in Iran cannot provide data monitoring, internet monitoring, deep packet inspection, international call monitoring or speech recognition. Therefore, contrary to speculation in the media, the technology supplied by Nokia Siemens Networks cannot be used for the monitoring or censorship of internet traffic.
http://blogs.nokiasiemensnetworks.com/news/2009/06/22/provision-of-lawful-intercept-capability-in-iran/

Zanza

Quote from: Neil on June 22, 2009, 01:01:04 PMWell no shit.  They're not Apple.
Marty should better stop using mobile phones in Europe alltogether. It's very likely that his calls are routed via a Nokia Siemens supplied network. They are the market leaders in Europe after all. So by paying his mobile phone bill, he also indirectly buys Nokia Siemens products.

Razgovory

Quote from: garbon on June 22, 2009, 12:33:13 PM
I doubt I'll turn into grallon, I don't like young men/boys. Thanks for keeping me in your thoughts though. :)

Well your names are similar.  I ussually confuse you two anyway.  Your the one with the pissy one right?  Or were you the one who likes to touch kids?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Zanza

Quote from: Iormlund on June 22, 2009, 01:00:58 PM
On a completely unrelated topic, the evil German industrialist will be happy to know my boss has purchased a new boa ... err, Class R280.
The dealer must have kissed his feet. The Spanish car market is currently the worst in the entire world I think. ;) I guess it's a nice luxury family car.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: ulmont on June 22, 2009, 01:04:18 PM
Nokia Siemens response:

QuoteRecent media reports have speculated about Nokia Siemens Networks' role in providing monitoring capability to Iran.  To clarify: Nokia Siemens Networks has provided Lawful Intercept capability solely for the monitoring of local voice calls in Iran.  Nokia Siemens Networks has not provided any deep packet inspection, web censorship or Internet filtering capability to Iran.

In most countries around the world, including all EU member states and the U.S., telecommunications networks are legally required to have the capability for Lawful Intercept and this is also the case in Iran.  Lawful Intercept is specified in standards defined by ETSI (European Telecommunications Standards Institute) and the 3GPP (3rd Generation Partnership Project).

To fulfill this Lawful Intercept requirement as part of an expansion to provide further mobile connectivity to Iran in the second half of 2008, Nokia Siemens Networks provided TCI, the Iranian national operator, with the capability to conduct voice monitoring of local calls on its fixed and mobile network.

The restricted functionality monitoring center provided by Nokia Siemens Networks in Iran cannot provide data monitoring, internet monitoring, deep packet inspection, international call monitoring or speech recognition. Therefore, contrary to speculation in the media, the technology supplied by Nokia Siemens Networks cannot be used for the monitoring or censorship of internet traffic.
http://blogs.nokiasiemensnetworks.com/news/2009/06/22/provision-of-lawful-intercept-capability-in-iran/
So it seems both Marty and Zanza were wrong.

Martinus

Well, then, sorry about relying on WSJ reporting. Won't happen again.  <_<