FIFA officials arrested in Switzerland on corruption charges

Started by Barrister, May 27, 2015, 10:03:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Martinus

chipwich

frunk

From Twitter:

QuoteBREAKING: Swiss Police confirm that, when arrested, all seven FIFA officials threw themselves on the ground and pretended to be injured.

crazy canuck

Quote from: frunk on May 27, 2015, 11:51:14 AM
From Twitter:

QuoteBREAKING: Swiss Police confirm that, when arrested, all seven FIFA officials threw themselves on the ground and pretended to be injured.

:lol:

Admiral Yi

CNN is reporting that the US dude (Glazier) wore a wire.

USA! USA!

DGuller

Quote from: frunk on May 27, 2015, 11:51:14 AM
From Twitter:

:lmfao:

Zanza

And the arch-villain Blatter is not indicted? What the fuck?

I hope they hit FIFA hard with the full power of the US judiciary.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Zanza on May 27, 2015, 12:52:36 PM

My guess is they have evidence on everyone, but not everyone has a US connection that gives the US jurisdiction.

DGuller

How is jurisdiction decided anyway?  Is your jurisdiction basically what you claim it is while still getting other countries to honor in your extradition requests?

frunk

Hopefully the Swiss investigation will catch him, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: DGuller on May 27, 2015, 12:58:29 PM
How is jurisdiction decided anyway?  Is your jurisdiction basically what you claim it is while still getting other countries to honor in your extradition requests?

The Wolfman mentioned things like owning property in the US, having a bank account.

Zanza

Quote from: DGuller on May 27, 2015, 12:58:29 PM

I bet every country has its own rules for each particular area of law when to claim jurisdiction. Here is Germany's claim for jurisdiction for criminal offences for example:

QuoteSection 3 - Offences committed on the territory of the Federal Republic of Germany
German criminal law shall apply to acts committed on German territory.

Section 4 - Offences committed on German ships and aircraft
German criminal law shall apply, regardless of the law applicable in the locality where the act was committed, to acts committed on a ship or an aircraft entitled to fly the federal flag or the national insignia of the Federal Republic of Germany.

Section 5 - Offences committed abroad against domestic legal interests
German criminal law shall apply, regardless of the law applicable in the locality where the act was committed, to the following acts committed abroad:
1.  preparation of a war of aggression (section 80);
2.  high treason against the Federation (Sections 81 to 83);
3.  endangering the democratic state under the rule of law
[list of 15 particular crimes]

Section 6 - Offences committed abroad against internationally protected legal interests
German criminal law shall further apply, regardless of the law of the locality where they are committed, to the following offences committed abroad:
2.  offences involving nuclear energy, explosives and radiation under section 307 and section 308(1) to (4), section 309(2) and section 310;
3.  attacks on air and maritime traffic (section 316c);
4.  human trafficking for the purpose of sexual exploitation, for the purpose of work exploitation and assisting human trafficking (Sections 232 to 233a);
[etc.]

Section 7 - Offences committed abroad—other cases
(1) German criminal law shall apply to offences committed abroad against a German, if the act is a criminal offence at the locality of its commission or if that locality is not subject to any criminal jurisdiction.
(2) German criminal law shall apply to other offences committed abroad if the act is a criminal offence at the locality of its commission or if that locality is not subject to any criminal law jurisdiction, and if the offender:
1.  was German at the time of the offence or became German after the commission; or
2.  was a foreigner at the time of the offence, is discovered in Germany and, although the Extradition Act would permit extradition for such an offence, is not extradited because a request for extradition within a reasonable period of time is not made, is rejected, or the extradition is not feasible.
http://www.gesetze-im-internet.de/englisch_stgb/englisch_stgb.html#p0009[/list]

FunkMonk

The little fishes will give him up in order to save their own skins. No honor among thieves.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.