FIFA officials arrested in Switzerland on corruption charges

Started by Barrister, May 27, 2015, 10:03:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: Zanza on May 27, 2015, 12:52:36 PM
And the arch-villain Blatter is not indicted? What the fuck?

He paid a sufficiently large bribe?

FunkMonk

Is corruption so endemic within FIFA that it will be necessary to destroy it in order to save it?
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

DGuller

I don't see how world sporting organizations can be not corrupt.  One country, one vote sounds egalitarian, but in reality most of the countries are highly corrupt.  FIFA, Olympics, FIA, all of them are corrupt to the core cesspools.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Monoriu

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 27, 2015, 02:40:16 PM
So how are these clowns chosen?

Believe it or not, HK gets our own FIFA representative that is separate from China's.  I think each of the FIFA jurisdictions decides its own rules in electing the representative.  In HK, the club owners get together and elect a representative.  Because the HK soccer league is a big money sink, the club owners consider their clubs a charity operation.  They are willing to endure the financial losses so long as the operation allows them to get famous and/or the business/political connections.  So the club owners tend to be shady businessmen.  The FIFA representative is a second generation business tycoon in HK with close links to the mainland and he has occupied the post for many decades.  He is considered incorruptible however because he is insanely rich and there is no incentive for him to take bribes.  Sorta like putting Bill Gates in charge of an NGO.

Neil

I hope they hit FIFA hard with the full power of the US judiciary.
I would imagine everyone will flip on Blatter, and he'll be given the death penalty.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: DGuller on May 27, 2015, 12:58:29 PM
How is jurisdiction decided anyway?  Is your jurisdiction basically what you claim it is while still getting other countries to honor in your extradition requests?

I gotta find a source for this, but I remember hearing a couple months ago that as long as US dollars are used in financial crimes, they can claim jurisdiction, which is a large part of the appeal of the developing Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB).
Experience bij!

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Neil on May 27, 2015, 09:35:19 PM

I would imagine everyone will flip on Blatter, and he'll be given the death penalty.
He would actually deserve it. Thousands are dead in the desert because of him.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Neil

Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 27, 2015, 09:36:07 PM
Quote from: Neil on May 27, 2015, 09:35:19 PM

He would actually deserve it. Thousands are dead in the desert because of him.
He wouldn't be the first Swiss to benefit from using slave labour.

alfred russel

I'm torn between wanting to see Qatar host the world cup just for the "wtf" value and wanting to see how big the bribes had to get in order to choose Qatar as the host.

I guess both are technically possible.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

DGuller

Quote from: Monoriu on May 27, 2015, 09:22:26 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 27, 2015, 02:40:16 PM
So how are these clowns chosen?

Believe it or not, HK gets our own FIFA representative that is separate from China's.  I think each of the FIFA jurisdictions decides its own rules in electing the representative.  In HK, the club owners get together and elect a representative.  Because the HK soccer league is a big money sink, the club owners consider their clubs a charity operation.  They are willing to endure the financial losses so long as the operation allows them to get famous and/or the business/political connections.  So the club owners tend to be shady businessmen.  The FIFA representative is a second generation business tycoon in HK with close links to the mainland and he has occupied the post for many decades.  He is considered incorruptible however because he is insanely rich and there is no incentive for him to take bribes.  Sorta like putting Bill Gates in charge of an NGO.
Incorruptible?  I guess that means no World Cup for Hong Kong then.

Valmy

The World Cup in Hong Kong? They would have to rip down the entire city just to make room.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Syt

Zeit.de has an article with all reasons in favor of keeping Sepp Blatter as head of FIFA (from May 2014(!):

http://www.zeit.de/sport/2014-05/sepp-blatter-fifa-korruption

QuoteEverything in favor of Sepp Blatter.

Originally he threatened to retire. Now he decided to run again for the office of FIFA President. We list all the reasons why this is good - for football and the world:

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Valmy on May 28, 2015, 07:53:22 AM
The World Cup in Hong Kong? They would have to rip down the entire city just to make room.

Joint bid with Macau.  :D