Sex is more important to happiness than money

Started by Jacob, February 15, 2016, 05:41:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: Monoriu on February 16, 2016, 05:13:25 PM
Quote from: Berkut on February 16, 2016, 03:07:07 PM

The only thing that sucks about it is that despite it being pretty obvious, there are still so many people out there who don't seem to get it, and instead pursue things like money and status, rather than relationships.

Because having money and status makes it much easier to pursue relationships  :P

I doubt that as well.  A lot of people I know waited until they were secure in their jobs and had money before trying to pursue a serious relationship.  It hasn't worked out very well for many of them for a whole variety of reasons.  There are some stellar exceptions of course but they are the exceptions.

Berkut

Quote from: garbon on February 16, 2016, 05:54:55 PM
This really should not come as any surprise. There have been many studies that have shown only a very shallow connection between having more money and being happier, especially once you are out of the abject poverty range.

Having healthy, fulfilling relationships with others however has been very much shown to contributing to happiness, and having a healthy, fulfilling relationship with your romantic partner would obviously be one of the most important of those...and studies have shown over and over that married couples are happiest when both partners feel like they are getting what they want and need out of it.

Kind of nice to see one study that skips some of those interim connections, but the conclusion is not even remotely surprising.

The only thing that sucks about it is that despite it being pretty obvious, there are still so many people out there who don't seem to get it, and instead pursue things like money and status, rather than relationships.

Of course, that all may be true, but that isn't what the study showed as reported. It just showed that for people in relationships that sex was more important to their happiness. Nothing about whether one should prioritize having a relationship over money. :P

Well, if you don't understand how a healthy relationship leads to a fulfilling sex life, then I am not the person to help you.

You cannot expect every study to connect every single dot for you...
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

garbon

Quote from: Berkut on February 17, 2016, 09:18:57 AM
Quote from: garbon on February 16, 2016, 05:54:55 PM
This really should not come as any surprise. There have been many studies that have shown only a very shallow connection between having more money and being happier, especially once you are out of the abject poverty range.

Having healthy, fulfilling relationships with others however has been very much shown to contributing to happiness, and having a healthy, fulfilling relationship with your romantic partner would obviously be one of the most important of those...and studies have shown over and over that married couples are happiest when both partners feel like they are getting what they want and need out of it.

Kind of nice to see one study that skips some of those interim connections, but the conclusion is not even remotely surprising.

Of course, that all may be true, but that isn't what the study showed as reported. It just showed that for people in relationships that sex was more important to their happiness. Nothing about whether one should prioritize having a relationship over money. :P

Well, if you don't understand how a healthy relationship leads to a fulfilling sex life, then I am not the person to help you.

You cannot expect every study to connect every single dot for you...

The survey pointed out that "the relationship between singletons having sex and their own happiness wasn't statistically significant." So I don't see that the results support having a long-term romantic partner is better for happiness, just that once you have one, you'd better be having sex if you want to be happy. ;)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Brazen

But if you had to choose between having none of one or the other, you'd be a damn sight happier with no sex than no money.

dps

Quote from: garbon on February 17, 2016, 09:28:28 AM

The survey pointed out that "the relationship between singletons having sex and their own happiness wasn’t statistically significant." So I don't see that the results support having a long-term romantic partner is better for happiness, just that once you have one, you'd better be having sex if you want to be happy. ;)

I think it's kind of the opposite--if you're not in a relationship, having sex more often doesn't do much to make you happier overall, but once you're in a relationship, having sex with your partner more frequently does make you happier.  But obviously, that's just on average;  some people don't care about sex at all, some actively dislike having sex, and others don't care about much of anything else.

Berkut

"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned