News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

How to Join the 1%

Started by Monoriu, May 21, 2015, 04:53:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on May 22, 2015, 09:05:47 AM

Let me revise that. I would go so far as to say most of the people who I went to school with (or at least as far as I know) were not poor enough for great scholarships, nor were they part of a group that would be called 'elite.' :P

Yeah now that I reflect on it you probably know more about people in elite universities than me anyway. Since I did not attend one.

However surely each person had at least one parent making $10 an hour or more.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Zanza

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on May 21, 2015, 06:24:11 AM
It is really hard to get data on income (on a worldwide basis), but here is a neat calculator to play with :

https://www.givingwhatwecan.org/get-involved/how-rich-am-i

How do you calculate net income? Is it just gross minus taxes? Is it gross minus social security contributions (mandatory/voluntary)?  :hmm:

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Zanza on May 22, 2015, 01:20:39 PM
Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on May 21, 2015, 06:24:11 AM
It is really hard to get data on income (on a worldwide basis), but here is a neat calculator to play with :

https://www.givingwhatwecan.org/get-involved/how-rich-am-i

How do you calculate net income? Is it just gross minus taxes? Is it gross minus social security contributions (mandatory/voluntary)?  :hmm:

I took it to mean the money paid into your bank account after all deductions.

lustindarkness

I would be a lot closer to the 1% if there was more poor people in the world.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Archy

My household is in 8,1%. I'm surprises Om this high for a liter middel classic household

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on May 22, 2015, 07:37:33 AM

You just need to find one with a thing for historical re-enacting.

The good thing about marrying a English Civil War reenactor, is that if they try to shoot you, you have a like 30 seconds between the time when they pull the trigger and when the gun actually goes off to think of a way to escape.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

lustindarkness

Quote from: Razgovory on May 22, 2015, 02:32:06 PM
Quote from: Valmy on May 22, 2015, 07:37:33 AM

You just need to find one with a thing for historical re-enacting.

The good thing about marrying a English Civil War reenactor, is that if they try to shoot you, you have a like 30 seconds between the time when they pull the trigger and when the gun actually goes off to think of a way to escape.

Nah, but there is a 30 second loading/reload.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Razgovory

Get a lot of hangfires with fuse and flashpan.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Josquius

Quote from: Valmy on May 22, 2015, 09:02:01 AM
Quote from: garbon on May 22, 2015, 08:57:41 AM
I'm pretty sure that I wasn't either of those two options. :unsure:

I was talking about attending the schools the put large numbers of people in those Universities. If it sounded like I was making a statement about every single person ever then I was not.

However I guess if 10% means simply making slightly above minimum wage I would guess that would be true but not particularly useful. Just have at least one parent with a job of some kind and you will get into an elite university.

Top 10% would encompass very upper middle class people and even the poorer upper class people.
These are the ones who have the connections that let them get into the top schools.
██████
██████
██████

Ideologue

Quote from: Syt on May 22, 2015, 06:11:36 AM
QuoteYou're in the top
0.86%
richest people in the world by income.

That makes you the
51,870,955th
richest person on earth by income.

:hmm:

.65% for me.  This is a retarded calculator using retarded rules that do not account for PPP.

It also doesn't allow for negative numbers when calculating for wealth.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)