Main Menu

How to Join the 1%

Started by Monoriu, May 21, 2015, 04:53:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Quote from: Martinus on May 21, 2015, 04:08:36 PM
Quote from: Barrister on May 21, 2015, 03:30:56 PM
Quote from: Martinus on May 21, 2015, 03:29:09 PM
I put in my personal income but said it is a 2 person household to account for my boyfriend.

You guys living together Marti?  :)

No, we prefer to live separately :)

Just like you and me! :w00t:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

crazy canuck

I wonder if Marti would pay me to keep us apart  :hmm:

Berkut

Quote from: Malthus on May 21, 2015, 01:51:19 PM
Here is another tool - but it makes no provision for size of family at all.

http://www.globalrichlist.com/

QuoteYou're in the top
0.07%
richest people in the world by income.

That cannot possibly be right.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Razgovory

If 2 billion people survive on less then five bucks a day, I think it could easily be correct.  Americans are rich.  It's actually quite a bit of eye opener even compared to our Euro brethren.  Even the rich countries of Europe like Germany, Britain and France have average wealth levels in the West Virginia range or lower.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Monoriu

We need income/wealth calculators for each individual country, and preferrably another one for languishstan  :cool:

Admiral Yi

PM me your gross income Mono and I'll start on it.

Monoriu

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 21, 2015, 07:56:07 PM
PM me your gross income Mono and I'll start on it.

You got me  :blush:

Josquius

QuoteSo the next question is how do people get into those universities 

Have parents in at least the top 10%.
██████
██████
██████

Syt

QuoteYou're in the top
0.86%
richest people in the world by income.

That makes you the
51,870,955th
richest person on earth by income.

:hmm:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Brazen

As a feminist I'm not sure if I should applaud or condemn the "marry a rich bird" approach to wealth :hmm:

Too late for me to snag a successful bloke. I wasted my prime years and the decades since being the main (on only) bread winner in every bloody relationship :cry:

Valmy

Quote from: Tyr on May 22, 2015, 06:02:19 AM

The top 10%? No to get in the best schools you either need to be talented but poor so you get scholarships or part of the elite. Being middling is a tough road to the kind of elite prep schools that typically get you into the Ivies.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Brazen on May 22, 2015, 06:22:42 AM
As a feminist I'm not sure if I should applaud or condemn the "marry a rich bird" approach to wealth :hmm:

You could be neutral about it. :hmm:

QuoteToo late for me to snag a successful bloke. I wasted my prime years and the decades since being the main (on only) bread winner in every bloody relationship

You just need to find one with a thing for historical re-enacting.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on May 22, 2015, 07:35:53 AM
Quote from: Tyr on May 22, 2015, 06:02:19 AM

The top 10%? No to get in the best schools you either need to be talented but poor so you get scholarships or part of the elite.

I'm pretty sure that I wasn't either of those two options. :unsure:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on May 22, 2015, 08:57:41 AM

I was talking about attending the schools the put large numbers of people in those Universities. If it sounded like I was making a statement about every single person ever then I was not.

However I guess if 10% means simply making slightly above minimum wage I would guess that would be true but not particularly useful. Just have at least one parent with a job of some kind and you will get into an elite university.

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on May 22, 2015, 09:02:01 AM
Quote from: garbon on May 22, 2015, 08:57:41 AM

I was talking about attending the schools the put large numbers of people in those Universities. If it sounded like I was making a statement about every single person ever then I was not.

Let me revise that. I would go so far as to say most of the people who I went to school with (or at least as far as I know) were not poor enough for great scholarships, nor were they part of a group that would be called 'elite.' :P
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.