Calling all Dr. Who and Buffy geeks (yes, I'm talking to you, Brazen)

Started by Martinus, June 22, 2009, 04:24:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Alright, so I'm half way through the second season of Torchwood and I absolutely love the show. Now, that the season 3 is only going to be released in some time (I know it is going to be broadcasted soon, but I prefer to wait for a DVD release, so I don't have to wait the whole week for a next episode etc.), I am looking for something to fill in the void.

I am considering getting Dr. Who and/or Buffy since I never watched the former and only watched bits of the latter.

And here's a rub: how important it is for me to watch all seasons from the first to the last in a chronological order? I suppose this especially applies to Dr. Who, which I understand has been produced over several decades, which may make some of the older seasons unwatchable on a "never-seen-that-as-a-kid-and-now-it-probably-sucks-arse" basis.

So suggestions: which season(s) I should get?

Martinus

Oh, and after hearing "Filthy/Gorgeous" on Torchwood and "I Can't Decide" on a clip for Dr. Who, I am convinced that writers are Scissor Sisters' fans, which makes it even more fabulicious. :P

DisturbedPervert

It's crucially important you watch Buffy in the correct order.

Jaron

Just PM Brazen and spare the rest of us your gay dramatics, thanks.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Josquius

With Dr.Who you can start from the first series of this decade no problem.
A large part of the awesomness with Who is that its Dr.Who but modern. Reminds me of the old show and all that. For someone just coming in cold...I imagine the sillyness being large...Don't know if it'll be good.

With Buffy start from the beginning; the early ones are better anyway.
Hell, watch up until Angel spins off then start watching that instead; a much better programme.
Supernatural is better than both of them though.
██████
██████
██████

CountDeMoney

Martinus

BuddhaRhubarb

Did you watch "True Blood" season 1 yet? if not you should asap.
:p

Barrister

Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on June 22, 2009, 12:04:45 PM

My wife bought the series, sat down to watch the first episode, then didn't come up for air for 12 hours.  She loves it.  And i've been watching it and think it's pretty good.  It may have even saved Vampires as a genre after the Twilight debacle.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Darth Wagtaros

Torchwood sucks.  I've never seen the other Who spinoff, the Sarah Jane Chronicles. 

You can start with the Doctor in the JOn Pertwee series.  Before that isn't bad, but the tapes are mostly rotted away so you won't see much.  Especially watch The Five Doctors and the Three Doctors.  And of course, Tom Baker.  I enjoy the new series too. 

Buffy was good in the beginning.  Season 4 wasn't all that great, Adam wasn't much of a villain.  The last two seasons were nothing much, excepting, of course, the musical episode.  I highly recommend the musical episode any time. 

Only Jos Whedon could make an homage to old broadway musicals into a depressing and angst filled funereal dirge.
PDH!

Josquius

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on June 22, 2009, 03:03:39 PM
Torchwood sucks.  I've never seen the other Who spinoff, the Sarah Jane Chronicles. 
Leave it that way.
It was designed purely for kids and unlike many kids shows gives absolutely nothing to adults.
██████
██████
██████

Richard Hakluyt

I suggest that you start by getting series one of the 21st century Doctor Who series.

It is difficult to say what to do about the early stuff. Back in 1964/5 it was all terribly exciting of course, despite the cardboard scenery and other problems. Many of those early episodes have been lost. Probably best th leave them until such time as you become an addict.

Jaron

Winner of THE grumbler point.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Barrister on June 22, 2009, 01:14:44 PM
Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on June 22, 2009, 12:04:45 PM

My wife bought the series, sat down to watch the first episode, then didn't come up for air for 12 hours.  She loves it.  And i've been watching it and think it's pretty good.  It may have even saved Vampires as a genre after the Twilight debacle.

First 2 episode of season 2 are great, if a little outthere. I guess eventually everything will make sense. Altho, there's too much sex.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.