News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Fallout 4

Started by Syt, May 11, 2015, 07:27:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Got it last night (delivered about 7PM) and, when loaded, promptly started to download a 25 GB patch.  :(  Of course, the servers were getting hammered, and so the download took 20 hours.

However, I've had a chance to play a bit of it, and so far it's... decent.  The skeletons don't work quite right, so the PC is skating (like in Skyrim before mods).  The curser is offset, like every Bethesda game before it is modded, and that's irritating.  The PC crashes into a lot of things because the player iew isn't the PC view.  Changing the VATS button from V to Q seems like a pointless irritant.  Textures are just okay - I'm surprised that they didn't go for textures like in the Skyrim texture update right off the bat, but suspect consoles.

The stories seem good, the dialogue system is less glitchy and seems to have a lot more subtlety, and the extensive weapons modding are all attractive.  Bethsoft took the Real Time Settler mods and incorporated them pretty brilliantly, at least so far as I can tell.  Overall, just the lack of precision in the controls is a real drawback.  I'm enjoying it.  8/10
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

Yeah changing the VATS key cause me a some problems to begin with.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

11B4V

Quote from: Razgovory on November 11, 2015, 07:58:39 PM
Yeah changing the VATS key cause me a some problems to begin with.

Yes, same here.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Jaron

Me too. I wondered if VATS was somehow tied to power armor or some kind of perk. Then I checked the key bindings and saw VATS was now Q. Only way I can shoot the laser musket with any accuracy. ;)
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Razgovory

I restarted on a survival mode, but it's not like the survival mode for New Vegas.  I'm not sure if I care for the weird base building aspect to the game.  I came here to explore the wasteland, not play house.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Razgovory

Meh, survival mode is annoying.

11B4V

Quote from: Razgovory on November 12, 2015, 12:10:51 PM
Meh, survival mode is annoying.

Wish they would have leaned towards something like the WE mod.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Caliga

Heh.  I made my character look like me.  I did a pretty good job too.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Caliga

Still not a single crash. :)

I'm on PTO today and I have some errands to run but I can't stop playing. :Embarrass:

HVC

How's the settlement part? I can't decide if it would be cool or annoying
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

11B4V

Quote from: HVC on November 13, 2015, 10:41:30 AM
How's the settlement part? I can't decide if it would be cool or annoying

It's a nice diversion. Not anything telling you what and how to do it. I used youtube.

Caliga

I like it.  Have built stuff at two different settlements so far.

One thing I'm wondering though is if all the junk you store in one settlement's workbench is available in all of the others?  I stashed a ton of crap at one settlement, and later I opened a workbench at another and it had a massive amount of stuff in it.  It would be nice if it worked like that, even if it is unrealistic.

katmai

So now that I'm back home, is it worth picking up now or ?
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Caliga

Quote from: katmai on November 13, 2015, 11:51:04 AM
So now that I'm back home, is it worth picking up now or ?
I'd say so.  I was originally going to hold off but since I've been sick half the week anyway, I figured why not just give it a shot now.

Shockingly, for a Bethesda release it seems largely bug-free.  I can't believe it. :huh: