News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

WW1 Gold - new patch, PBEM mode introduced

Started by Tamas, October 09, 2011, 01:41:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Are the Romanìans as good as they were IRL?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Tamas

Quote from: The Brain on December 06, 2011, 03:31:41 PM
Are the Romanìans as good as they were IRL?

lol yes, kinda, altough they can stirr some shit up if you leave them alone to capture Temesvar and assorted Transylvanian cities. But if you can spare an Austrian army and have the Bulgarians on your side, you can contain and slowly roll them up with no particular trouble. For their sudden collapse though you would need to amass the historical force though.

It is one of the questionable moves of the AI I guess - it likes to try and pull Romania to the Entente soon, and altough that can be useful when you must divert at least two or three Austrian units to be sure they don't fuck around with your supply lines, the extra frontline length is not really that ideal for the Russians if you as CP can start kicking around in Romania.
Then again, if the ROMAnians are left alone, you may find the Russian 7th marching through it.

Oh, diplomacy: the German blockade. It is rolled at every interphase, with various modifiers. You can have plus EP flow from it in the early times, actually, symbolizing a not very effective blockade but that will be a thing of the past later. A lot of modifiers to the roll are coming from grain shipments. From Italy, Netherlands, Romania, maybe a few others as well. You can gain or lose this depending on the diplomatic levels of these countries.

Cecil

I think the AI´s willingness to attack despite no odds at winning needs a tuning. I´m in mid 1915 and I have the national will of Russia at 5 and France at 17 mostly due to them launching offensives in areas they have no chance in hell of breaking through. France in particular seems to have a serious hardon for Metz.

Tamas

Quote from: Cecil on December 09, 2011, 11:25:52 AM
I think the AI´s willingness to attack despite no odds at winning needs a tuning. I´m in mid 1915 and I have the national will of Russia at 5 and France at 17 mostly due to them launching offensives in areas they have no chance in hell of breaking through. France in particular seems to have a serious hardon for Metz.

I guess it's not a major offensive (you would notice that as you would be required to select a tactice before the battle)?
It's a tough balance, one wouldn't want the AI to sit ildly either because if you let the opponent pile up manpower and ammo at their leisure, it is bad. But yes, it can go overboard.
Can be made worse if the general of the army there has a high obstinency.
BTW, the AI keeps logs and draws conclusions from those, I wonder how much proof it needs to stop those Metz attacks :P

crazy canuck

Quote from: Cecil on December 09, 2011, 11:25:52 AM
I think the AI´s willingness to attack despite no odds at winning needs a tuning.

So they went with the historically accurate AI rather than requiring modders to step in and do it.

Valmy

Quote from: crazy canuck on December 09, 2011, 01:43:45 PM
So they went with the historically accurate AI rather than requiring modders to step in and do it.

To be fair the offensives usually had all sorts of reasons the planners believed they might work.  WWI was just a special sort of war.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Syt

Quote from: Valmy on December 09, 2011, 01:50:37 PM

To be fair the offensives usually had all sorts of reasons the planners believed they might work.  WWI was just a special sort of war.

In the game, IIRC, you have to do great offensives to a) keep national will up and b) to battle test new tech/doctrines.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tamas

Quote from: Syt on December 09, 2011, 01:53:16 PM
Quote from: Valmy on December 09, 2011, 01:50:37 PM

In the game, IIRC, you have to do great offensives to a) keep national will up and b) to battle test new tech/doctrines.

Yes, but the AI IS prone to overdo minor (normal) offensives. As I said, it is a pretty hard balancing act.

Especially since, not really surprisingly, you just can't have any hopes of success with minor attacks on the western front. The range at which all HQs can supply a trench-period battle with reserves is iirc. infininte (on the Western Front), so when you go to battle, you are going to battle with your one or two armies against everything which is not guarding the actual frontline for the enemy (and that is also not even true as excess units from on-map stacks can also be used as reinforcement IIRC. I could be wrong though).
In earlier versions, it was a problem that the French AI not really realized this and sometimes retreated like it was still movement war, this was improved upon, but I haven't played much trench war with the latest patch.

But I am very satisfied with the battle AI in general. It is better for movement war than trench, but it has a very good idea on how to rotate the available troops during battle.

I am by the way experimenting with furthering the "board game mode". In my latest game I just started, I lifted FoW on stack positions since you can see that on the board normally. One of the reasons I am doing this is because I have the suspicion that somewhere between the "O" patch public betas and the release version the turn-based passivity bug might have been reintroduced.
The bug was that when an AI army failed it's coordination roll, it didn't move. I saw this being fixed earlier for sure, but recent Russian moves I saw made me suspicious.

mongers

So Tamas, I aquired the cd version of this game, it's titled  'World War One Gold Gold Edition Le Grande Guerre 1914-1918'

I've downloaded the 1.08q patch from Calvinus's website, so am I good to go?

Oddly the day after it arrived I got an alert saying Gamergate have the centennial gold edition version at 90% off, so is that the same set up or a better version, maybe the matrix one?

I may get it anyway as it's only like $3.  :)
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Tamas

IIRC Centennial edition was made and released without ever getting permission from the actual license holders (khm khm) which meant an early end to it.

mongers

Quote from: Tamas on November 30, 2018, 05:32:26 AM
IIRC Centennial edition was made and released without ever getting permission from the actual license holders (khm khm) which meant an early end to it.

Thanks. :cheers:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"