Started by Josquius, May 09, 2015, 04:48:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Agelastus

Quote from: grumbler on May 12, 2015, 12:09:50 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on May 12, 2015, 11:37:45 AM
Quote from: grumbler on May 12, 2015, 10:09:26 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on May 12, 2015, 09:19:23 AM
Ok.

Noise cancelling works well to kill C130 noise.

I have never tried noise cancelling headphones in a plane & my experience has shown that it doesn't cancel enough incoming sound that I could consider it anything but a scam, like 3D TVs.

Wait... so it turns out that you've never tried NC headphones to cancel noise, and thus concluded that they are a scam?  Okay... 

Has anyone ever suggested to you than, when you've dug yourself into a hole that deep, you should just stop digging?  if not, consider yourself suggested.

Did you not read my post?

Yes.  Every foolish word.  Stop digging.

I think you should take your own advice Grumbler.

And reread his post. He did not say that he'd never used NC headphones - just that he'd never used them on a plane.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

grumbler

Quote from: Agelastus on May 12, 2015, 02:33:55 PM

And reread his post. He did not say that he'd never used NC headphones - just that he'd never used them on a plane.

Maybe you should read his post.  He said that NC headphones were a scam because they didn't do things they never claimed to do, and that he'd never actually tested them at what they were supposed to do.  You can't call something a "scam"  simply because you've never seen it do what it is supposed to do.  I can't call the LHC a scam because I've never seen it collide hadrons.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Agelastus

Quote from: grumbler on May 12, 2015, 03:18:18 PM
Quote from: Agelastus on May 12, 2015, 02:33:55 PM

Maybe you should read his post.  He said that NC headphones were a scam because they didn't do things they never claimed to do, and that he'd never actually tested them at what they were supposed to do.  You can't call something a "scam"  simply because you've never seen it do what it is supposed to do.  I can't call the LHC a scam because I've never seen it collide hadrons.

Firstly, that's a truly terrible analogy. It's not as if either of you can try to use the LHC to collide hadrons whereas both of you can test the claims for NC headphones by simply buying a pair and putting them on.

Secondly, since he has posted that he has tried said headphones (something I have no reason to doubt) and found them not to work to his satisfaction, he has every right to deride it as a scam whether or not you agree with him. Calling something a scam is as much a personal opinion as a legal concept.

Thirdly, since he's only said that he's never tested them on a plane, by the wording of your own post you've effectively just contended that NC headphones are only for use on planes, which I highly doubt is the opinion of the manufacturers or most users!

Fourthly, I'm wearing a pair of noise cancelling headphones as I write this (they're blocking out a person's snores) so I do disagree with Grey Fox about them being a scam. Doesn't mean that I can't hear the television news perfectly well though, even so, so I have sympathy with Grey Fox's position - NC headphones only block certain types of noise rather than being a panacea.

Perhaps it might be an idea to ask Grey Fox what exactly he was trying to block out with the headphones before calling him a fool.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be

grumbler

Quote from: Agelastus on May 12, 2015, 04:13:56 PM
Firstly, that's a truly terrible analogy. It's not as if either of you can try to use the LHC to collide hadrons whereas both of you can test the claims for NC headphones by simply buying a pair and putting them on.

Secondly, since he has posted that he has tried said headphones (something I have no reason to doubt) and found them not to work to his satisfaction, he has every right to deride it as a scam whether or not you agree with him. Calling something a scam is as much a personal opinion as a legal concept.

Thirdly, since he's only said that he's never tested them on a plane, by the wording of your own post you've effectively just contended that NC headphones are only for use on planes, which I highly doubt is the opinion of the manufacturers or most users!

Fourthly, I'm wearing a pair of noise cancelling headphones as I write this (they're blocking out a person's snores) so I do disagree with Grey Fox about them being a scam. Doesn't mean that I can't hear the television news perfectly well though, even so, so I have sympathy with Grey Fox's position - NC headphones only block certain types of noise rather than being a panacea.

Perhaps it might be an idea to ask Grey Fox what exactly he was trying to block out with the headphones before calling him a fool.

Stop digging.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

crazy canuck

Yeah, but this is Grumbler.  He will probably make some lame comment to you like "stop digging" because that is what he does.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 12, 2015, 05:15:55 PM

Yeah, but this is Grumbler.  He will probably make some lame comment to you like "stop digging" because that is what he does.

You should realize when you engage him in lengthy debates, you are effectively digging your own grave. :contract:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

grumbler

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on May 12, 2015, 05:19:59 PM

You should realize when you engage him in lengthy debates, you are effectively digging your own grave. :contract:

Particularly when it is a debate like:
GF:  Noise cancellation is a scam.
g:  Actually, NC headphones do what they advertise:  no scam
GF:  No they are a scam because they didn't do what I wanted them to do, and I didn't test them against what NC claims to do.
g:  That is a pretty idiotic stand.  Stop digging.
Age:  The burden isn't on GF to provide evidence that NC is a scam, it is on you to ask questions of him.
g:  Stop digging

GF has shown no evidence whatever that noise cancellation does not work and thus is a scam.

Bayraktar!

crazy canuck

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on May 12, 2015, 05:19:59 PM

Not really.  Its just that we hope that he will engage in communication on a meaningful level.  Like other humans.  But our hopes are normally dashed.

Grey Fox

Maybe I have super hearing.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Agelastus

Quote from: grumbler on May 12, 2015, 05:09:45 PM

Stop digging.

:yawn:

0/10.

What it gains in humour it loses due to the sheer tiredness of the "schtick".

Whenever you're ready to actually defend your untenable characterisation of GF's posts let me know.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be

grumbler

Quote from: Agelastus on May 13, 2015, 09:32:52 AM
0/10.

Whenever you're ready to actually defend your untenable characterisation of GF's posts let me know.
:yawn:  You're still digging, but, since GF was utterly wrong to claim NC is a scam and you seem anxious to defend his claim, I suppose you have no choice than to keep digging. 

Well, chin-chin. Do carry on with your mud pies.

Bayraktar!

Siege

Wireless or go home.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Agelastus

Quote from: grumbler on May 13, 2015, 03:46:10 PM
0/10.

:yawn:  You're still digging, but, since GF was utterly wrong to claim NC is a scam and you seem anxious to defend his claim, I suppose you have no choice than to keep digging. 

:yawn:

And, once again, you get a zero for basic English comprehension. Try rereading my posts.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be

Grey Fox

Quote from: grumbler on May 13, 2015, 03:46:10 PM
0/10.

I am not wrong.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Josquius

Well...I didn't expect this thread to turn out like this...
██████
██████
██████