News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Earphones

Started by Josquius, May 09, 2015, 04:48:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Does anyone know anything about earphones?
I'm thinking of getting myself some of those snazzy big noise cancelling ones so I can practice my guitar and concentrate when I have to work, but I'm not sure whats what.
A few brand names rattle in my head but no idea which are the best.
Anyone with a clue?
██████
██████
██████

Grey Fox

Now, this is the biggest can of worms one can open.

Buy this. Noise cancelling is a scam.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Liep

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 09, 2015, 07:30:11 AM

If noise cancelling works how is it a scam? I bought some for a flight once and when I turned it on it was complete bliss.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Darth Wagtaros

From what I know, you either splurge on the expensive ones or not bother. 
PDH!

grumbler

Headphone effectiveness depends on what you are looking for.  If you just want to hear yourself play an electric guitar, you can get by with fairly basic headphones like Bose noise-cancelling headphones (they'l run you around $60).  You'll get noise if you move around, and you won't cancel out higher-frequency or transient sounds (like people talking), nor will you get great bass response, but that may do you.  If you really want to cancel out noise, get noise-isolating headphones like maybe the Bose QC25s.  They'll run you about $300, but were the best noise-isolating headphones last year.

Spend extra money if it means that you can't hear GF give you bogus info.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Liep on May 09, 2015, 07:35:39 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on May 09, 2015, 07:30:11 AM

If noise cancelling works how is it a scam? I bought some for a flight once and when I turned it on it was complete bliss.

Never listen to GF.  Even cheap NC headphones do great at eliminating low steady noise like aircraft engines.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Oh, and I ended up getting Klipsch Image One headphones (the lower-end basic headphones) because they sounded good, were on sale, and I didn't need much sound cancellation.  But my search is where I reached the conclusions I shared above.

Bayraktar!

Grey Fox

garbon

I always use the cheapest earphones as I inevitably break them/lose them. -_-
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josquius

So Bose is the make to look for?
██████
██████
██████

The Minsky Moment

I do like those Beyer ones Gray Fox linked to.  Don't know if they sound much better than the competition but they are really, really comfortable.

Don't care much for fancy noise cancelling; for loud places I use in-ear (Westone).
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

lustindarkness

Ignore the gay fox, he has already proven he has no idea what he is talking about on the topic.

My son has a pair of Bose that work awesome. The noise cancelling works, and the sound quality is awesome. Don't ask me the model or how much they cost, I don't know and don't want to know.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Grey Fox

I have only proven 2 things.

1. Can of worms.
2. You all disagree with me.

I have no idea why this discredits my opinions.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 11, 2015, 09:14:06 PM
2. You all disagree with me.

I disagree with this.

Eddie Teach

I neither agree nor disagree.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?