52% of Americans in favor of soaking the rich.

Started by jimmy olsen, May 05, 2015, 07:48:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on May 07, 2015, 06:28:52 AM
Quote from: LaCroix on May 06, 2015, 08:39:13 AM
i don't think many people criticize welfare because it helps blacks. most people i see criticizing welfare do so because it helps poor people.

QuoteYou start out in 1954 by saying, "Nigger, nigger, nigger." By 1968 you can't say "nigger" — that hurts you. Backfires. So you say stuff like forced busing, states' rights and all that stuff. You're getting so abstract now [that] you're talking about cutting taxes, and all these things you're talking about are totally economic things and a byproduct of them is [that] blacks get hurt worse than whites. And subconsciously maybe that is part of it. I'm not saying that. But I'm saying that if it is getting that abstract, and that coded, that we are doing away with the racial problem one way or the other. You follow me — because obviously sitting around saying, "We want to cut this," is much more abstract than even the busing thing, and a hell of a lot more abstract than "Nigger, nigger.

Lee Atwater, Republican strategist.

Atwater said & did some strange things.  Like converting to Catholicism.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Razgovory

Quote from: Barrister on May 07, 2015, 03:35:32 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on May 07, 2015, 03:29:51 PM
Yes, I think it still applies.  When you have a Republican senator running for President and saying he doesn't want to make black people's lives better by giving them someone Else's money, I think the old narratives apply.

To be clear: do you think Republicans are continuing to pursue a "southern strategy" in 2015 whereby they use coded policies and terminology to appeal for people's votes based on racism?

If so, how do you reconcile that belief with what Atwater himself had to say about Reagan's 1980 campaign?

I am.  I also reconcile it with him saying Reagain didn't need to do that, not that he was innocent of it.  He certainly did, particularly in his 1976 run where one of his campaign managers was Eugenicist.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017