China orders Muslim shopkeepers to sell alcohol, cigarettes, to ‘weaken’ Islam

Started by jimmy olsen, May 06, 2015, 04:21:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

And they wonder why they're having such large problems with them?  :rolleyes:

What a bunch of dicks.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/worldviews/wp/2015/05/05/china-orders-muslim-shopkeepers-to-sell-alcohol-cigarettes-to-weaken-islam/

QuoteChina orders Muslim shopkeepers to sell alcohol, cigarettes, to 'weaken' Islam

Chinese authorities have ordered Muslim shopkeepers and restaurant owners in a village in its troubled Xinjiang region to sell alcohol and cigarettes, and promote them in "eye-catching displays," in an attempt to undermine Islam's hold on local residents, Radio Free Asia (RFA) reported. Establishments that failed to comply were threatened with closure and their owners with prosecution.

Facing widespread discontent over its repressive rule in the mainly Muslim province of Xinjiang, and mounting violence in the past two years, China has launched a series of "strike hard" campaigns to weaken the hold of Islam in the western region. Government employees and children have been barred from attending mosques or observing the Muslim fasting month of Ramadan. In many places, women have been barred from wearing face-covering veils, and men discouraged from growing long beards.

In the village of Aktash in southern Xinjiang, Communist Party official Adil Sulayman, told RFA that many local shopkeepers had stopped selling alcohol and cigarettes from 2012 "because they fear public scorn," while many locals had decided to abstain from drinking and smoking.

The Koran calls the use of "intoxicants" sinful, while some Muslim religious leaders have also forbidden smoking.

Sulayman said authorities in Xinjiang viewed ethnic Uighurs who did not smoke as adhering to "a form of religious extremism." They issued the order to counter growing religious sentiment that was "affecting stability," he said.

"We have a campaign to weaken religion here, and this is part of that campaign," he told the Washington-based news service.

The notice, obtained by RFA and posted on Twitter, ordered all restaurants and supermarkets in Aktash to sell five different brands of alcohol and cigarettes and display them prominently. "Anybody who neglects this notice and fails to act will see their shops sealed off, their businesses suspended, and legal action pursued against them," the notice said.

Radio Free Asia, which provides some of the only coverage of events in Xinjiang to escape strict Chinese government controls, said Hotan prefecture, where Aktash is located, had become "a hotbed of violent stabbing and shooting incidents between ethnic Uighurs and Chinese security forces."

China says Uighur militant groups based abroad are using the Internet to inspire local Muslims to take up violent jihad against the state. Critics say China's long repression of Uighur rights and nationalist sentiment has pushed people toward Islam as the only permitted assertion of their community's identity, and pushed a minority toward a violent form of Islam. Clumsy attempts to promote alcohol or forbid beards and veils may prove counterproductive, they warn.

James Leibold, an expert on China's ethnic policies at Melbourne's La Trobe University, said Chinese officials were "often flailing around in the dark" when tackling extremism. An acute lack of understanding leads them to focus on visible, but imprecise, perceptions of radicalism such as long beards, veils and sobriety, he said.

The result is often "crude forms of ethno-cultural profiling," Leibold said.

"These sorts of mechanistic and reactive policies only serve to inflame ethno-national tension without addressing the root causes of religious extremism, while further alienating the mainstream Uighur community, making them feel increasingly unwelcome within a hostile, Han-dominated society," he wrote in an e-mail.

Sulayman said around 60 shops and restaurants in the area had complied with the government order, and there were no reports of protests. But in an unrelated incident in neighboring Qinghai province on Friday, an angry crowd of Muslims smashed windows of a supposedly halal store in Xining city, after pork sausages and ham were found in a delivery van, according to the local government and photographs on social media.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

grumbler

This is a joke, right?  The Radio Free Asia web page has no such story, and it sounds very made-up to me (the Chinese government might encourage weakening of Islam, but it are not going to announce such a policy).

A bit less credulity, please.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Valmy

QuoteBut in an unrelated incident in neighboring Qinghai province on Friday, an angry crowd of Muslims smashed windows of a supposedly halal store in Xining city, after pork sausages and ham were found in a delivery van, according to the local government and photographs on social media.

Ok then.

A. That is a pretty dick move by the store owner.

B. That is unrelated to the rest of the article. To the point the writer even admits it is unrelated. So why was this mentioned?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Siege

Finally someone is doing something about those murderous bastards.
Islam has to be destroyed.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Valmy

Quote from: Siege on May 06, 2015, 12:51:48 PM
Finally someone is doing something about those murderous bastards.
Islam has to be destroyed.

Hoping that cigarette use kills em all?

Wait I thought Muslims enjoyed smoking. How does promoting smoking undermine them?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on May 06, 2015, 12:54:43 PM
Wait I thought Muslims enjoyed smoking. How does promoting smoking undermine them?

Some imams have declared it haram.  In other places even the most radical jihadis smoke to excess.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

celedhring

Reminds me of a restaurant in Harlem where it was discovered that the owner spiked vegan soups with meat extract.

Admiral Yi

celedhring

Well, the areas close to Columbia and the other colleges have a bunch of eateries tailored to students.

Admiral Yi

celedhring

No. 4-5 until you start seeing dumped cars on the street.

Admiral Yi

Question for you about Manhattan Celery: does hoity toity Upper East Side fade gradually into Spanish Harlem, or is there some sort of buffer, or a major street that serves as demarcation?

celedhring

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 06, 2015, 01:40:20 PM
Question for you about Manhattan Celery: does hoity toity Upper East Side fade gradually into Spanish Harlem, or is there some sort of buffer, or a major street that serves as demarcation?

Traditionally 96th street has been the border, but it's a bit more gradual than that.