China orders Muslim shopkeepers to sell alcohol, cigarettes, to ‘weaken’ Islam

Started by jimmy olsen, May 06, 2015, 04:21:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: grumbler on May 06, 2015, 06:28:58 AM
This is a joke, right?  The Radio Free Asia web page has no such story, and it sounds very made-up to me (the Chinese government might encourage weakening of Islam, but it are not going to announce such a policy).

A bit less credulity, please.

http://www.rfa.org/english/news/uyghur/order-05042015133944.html  Again, Grumbler is incorrect.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

Quote from: Siege on May 06, 2015, 12:51:48 PM
Finally someone is doing something about those murderous bastards.
Islam has to be destroyed.

So you're siding with the Reds?  Tsk, Tsk.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: celedhring on May 06, 2015, 01:44:01 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 06, 2015, 01:40:20 PM
Question for you about Manhattan Celery: does hoity toity Upper East Side fade gradually into Spanish Harlem, or is there some sort of buffer, or a major street that serves as demarcation?

Traditionally 96th street has been the border, but it's a bit more gradual than that.

A common demarcation point are the big Section 8 housing blocs.  East of Park that means around 96th street but between 5th and park there are still some luxury apartments and the Mt Sinai complex into the low 100s. 
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Martinus

Quote from: celedhring on May 06, 2015, 01:01:54 PM
Reminds me of a restaurant in Harlem where it was discovered that the owner spiked vegan soups with meat extract.

That's wondrous.  :lol:

I hope he was doing it for reasons other than cost control.

The Larch

Quote from: celedhring on May 06, 2015, 01:19:45 PM
No. 4-5 until you start seeing dumped cars on the street.

I remember that I got the "ok I'm now in Harlem" feeling whenever I started seeing advertising of diabetes prevention campaigns.