News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Someone stole 1/8th of Moldova's GDP

Started by jimmy olsen, May 05, 2015, 06:35:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Now that's corruption!  :o

http://www.globalpost.com/article/6537732/2015/05/04/moldova-protest-stolen-1-billion

QuoteKYIV, Ukraine — When thousands filled the streets of Moldova's capital on Sunday, their complaint was pretty significant.

Late last year, about $1 billion disappeared in an apparent banking scandal that's mystified Europe's poorest country.

To put that sum into perspective, it's an eighth of the country's GDP. In United States terms, that portion of the economy would add up to more than $2 trillion.

The money reportedly vanished in a series of murky loans dealt out last November by three major banks — one of them state-owned — to as yet unknown recipients.

Officials wised up to the scheme only earlier this year.

Investigators, including the US auditing firm Kroll, are looking into the matter but have released few details. The speaker of Moldova's parliament finally released a report by Kroll late Monday night that implicated a Moldovan businessman in the scheme, but recommended further investigation.

Many Moldovans are mad about all this.

They say it's symptomatic of the widespread corruption that's plagued their country since the collapse of the Soviet Union.

That's also why Sunday's protest was about more than just missing money. It drew at least 10,000 demonstrators, police said. If that sounds unimpressive, consider that there are just 3.5 million people in Moldova.

Despite the growing prominence of pro-Western politicians who pledge to pull Moldova closer to Europe, critics claim the authorities have done little to clean up corruption.

Igor Botan, a political analyst and a member of the grassroots movement that organized Sunday's protest, believes the pro-European ruling coalition was complicit in the crime.

"Our country is a poor and agrarian country," he told GlobalPost on Monday. "But it's home to decent people who want their country to flourish, to be closer to European standards, and for it to find its economic niche alongside the European Union."

Some observers are wondering whether the protests can reach critical mass, just like in neighboring Ukraine.

For now, that seems unlikely.

But Moldovans are no doubt hoping a speedy and successful investigation will return their missing cash, however far-fetched that might seem. If not, that'll mean a hefty tab for taxpayers to cover.

Clarification: This story previously said that last weekend's protest was the largest in Moldova since 2009. In fact, there were also large demonstrations for and against European integration in 2013.

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Archy

They already lost 1/8th of their surface, i suppose they are used to it by now :ph34r:

Liep

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Valmy

Can somebody who knows something about Europe explain to me why it did not rejoin Romania when the Soviet Union collapsed?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Zanza

QuoteTo put that sum into perspective, it's an eighth of the country's GDP. In United States terms, that portion of the economy would add up to more than $2 trillion.

The money reportedly vanished in a series of murky loans dealt out last November by three major banks — one of them state-owned — to as yet unknown recipients.
Didn't major American (and European) banks lose a lot of money (maybe not two trillion) in a series of murky loans a few years ago?

Tamas

Quote from: Valmy on May 06, 2015, 07:40:20 AM
Can somebody who knows something about Europe explain to me why it did not rejoin Romania when the Soviet Union collapsed?

As you can see, local leaders have a much freer reign this way, plus this was more in Russia's liking I assume.

Valmy

Quote from: Zanza on May 06, 2015, 07:43:09 AM
Didn't major American (and European) banks lose a lot of money (maybe not two trillion) in a series of murky loans a few years ago?

Probably. Major American banks lose lots of money all the time.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Syt

I have spoken to Romanians about that, and most said that while Moldova would have liked that, most Romanians didn't want them, mostly because of how run down the place was/is. But there seems to be a fair amount of exchange/cooperation between the countries.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

Quote from: Syt on May 06, 2015, 08:06:41 AM
I have spoken to Romanians about that, and most said that while Moldova would have liked that, most Romanians didn't want them, mostly because of how run down the place was/is. But there seems to be a fair amount of exchange/cooperation between the countries.

Wait an East European country not wanting more territory? Times have certainly changed. I mean one of Romania's goals in joining the Axis was getting that territory back.

Ed Anger

Madoff sneers derisively at the amount.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

alfred russel

I thought the USSR put out a lot of propaganda that the Moldovan language (& culture) is distinct from Romanian and apparently the population to some extent bought into it.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Tamas on May 06, 2015, 07:53:50 AM

As you can see, local leaders have a much freer reign this way, plus this was more in Russia's liking I assume.

There's this Transnistria question as well, with a Russian army keeping the status quo after a conflict in the early '90s.
Transnistria, not originally part of Bessarabia has only a third of Moldovans.
Last thing, the reminder of Bessarabia is in Ukraine.

Moldovan is at best (or worst depending on the viewpoint) a dialect of Romanian.

Malthus

1/8 of Moldovia's GDP?

You could certainly buy a sausage with that.  :P
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Monoriu

10,000 protesters out of a population of 3.5 million is a lot?  Come on, we have half a million people protesting all the time out of a population of 7 million and that's not that big a deal.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Monoriu on May 06, 2015, 10:41:04 AM
Come on, we have half a million people protesting all the time out of a population of 7 million and that's not that big a deal.

7% of your population attending a protest is a pretty big deal. And you certainly seemed to think it was a big deal several months ago, when some of the protesters were blocking streets & your workplace.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?