And we're back!

Main Menu

Someone stole 1/8th of Moldova's GDP

Started by jimmy olsen, May 05, 2015, 06:35:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Monoriu

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on May 06, 2015, 10:49:13 AM
Quote from: Monoriu on May 06, 2015, 10:41:04 AM
Come on, we have half a million people protesting all the time out of a population of 7 million and that's not that big a deal.

7% of your population attending a protest is a pretty big deal. And you certainly seemed to think it was a big deal several months ago, when some of the protesters were blocking streets & your workplace.

Half a million people march and protest in HK every year on 1 July, and they are routinely ignored. 

Eddie Teach

It signifies there is major discontent among the populace. Manifestations of this discontent aren't restricted to this one protest you don't care about.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Maladict

Quote from: Syt on May 06, 2015, 08:06:41 AM
I have spoken to Romanians about that, and most said that while Moldova would have liked that, most Romanians didn't want them, mostly because of how run down the place was/is. But there seems to be a fair amount of exchange/cooperation between the countries.

Yeah that's pretty much what I've heard.
I guess everyone likes to have a country on their eastern border they can make fun of.

Monoriu

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on May 06, 2015, 11:03:58 AM
It signifies there is major discontent among the populace. Manifestations of this discontent aren't restricted to this one protest you don't care about.

I just don't see how 10k protesters is a lot, even out of a population of 3.5 million.  Our population is only double that, and a protest of 20k probably happens every other month that barely makes page 4 of the newspapers.  If the government is determined to ignore the protesters, numbers don't mean anything. 

Eddie Teach

You should probably be comparing HK to Chisinau rather than Moldova as a whole, since the amount of effort needed to participate is much greater for people in the countryside. So their 10k protest may be equivalent to 100k in Hong Kong.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?