Russian army to get exoskeletons controlled by power of mind in 5 years

Started by Syt, April 29, 2015, 04:12:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

http://tass.ru/en/russia/792354

I see Timmay is now writing for TASS.

QuoteRussian army to get exoskeletons controlled by power of mind in 5 years

MOSCOW, April 29. /TASS/. The Russian defence industry will be able to supply to the Armed Forces powered exoskeletons, which will boost strength and endurance of the troops, in some five years, a senior official at the United Instrument Manufacturing Corporation told TASS on Wednesday.

"I think that in about five years we will get a neural interface to control exoskeletons and prostheses," said Alexander Kulish, who is in charge with the designing and production of medical equipment.

He said that such exoskeletons would help soldiers carry loads of up to 200-300 kilograms and "make incredible jumps, move and throw heavy objects."

Kulish said the corporation was ready to launch a serial production of such systems.

He added that exoskeletons could also be used in civil medicine for the rehabilitation of disabled people.

I expect the end results to look something like this.

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

Actually, if the suits are mind controlled, anyways, why not have them be remote controlled, then?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

lustindarkness

Grand Duke of Lurkdom

celedhring

Reminded me of:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0S7uE7l_oA

Loved this flick when I was a kid, for some reason.

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Syt on April 29, 2015, 08:18:33 AM
Actually, if the suits are mind controlled, anyways, why not have them be remote controlled, then?

Limited range of transmission/some kind of physical contact requirement?  I suppose you could get around that by making a second dummy suit that just transmits to the field suit's actuators, but why make two when you can just put the soldier out in the field?
Experience bij!

DontSayBanana

Experience bij!

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Tonitrus on April 29, 2015, 06:10:07 PM
Reminds me more of this:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rR7ktkOEeFw

One of the better quality story-arc cartoons of its day.

You're telling me- I loved Exo Squad- the fights always reminded me of Babylon 5 in cartoon form.
Experience bij!