The 30 Millimeter Solution: Army Upgunning Strykers Vs. Russia

Started by jimmy olsen, April 29, 2015, 01:29:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Monoriu

Quote from: Ed Anger on April 30, 2015, 08:48:00 PM
I'm up gunning my home arsenal. Winter is Coming

The problem is you are also down gunning your financial arsenal when winter comes  :hmm:

Ed Anger

Quote from: Monoriu on April 30, 2015, 09:11:06 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on April 30, 2015, 08:48:00 PM
I'm up gunning my home arsenal. Winter is Coming

The problem is you are also down gunning your financial arsenal when winter comes  :hmm:

:lol:

Right.

:lol:
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Razgovory

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 30, 2015, 09:41:33 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on April 30, 2015, 07:51:35 PM
I couldn't find much use for them.  http://languish.org/forums/index.php/topic,12730.0.html
Strykers seemed to do okay in your AAR.

Strykers did.  The MGS did not.  The limited ammo makes fire support a problem, and it can't reliably knock out Russian armor.  The more I think of it though, a 30mm support vehicle is not the worst idea in the world.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

MadImmortalMan

The TOW idea seems reasonable--and I'm pretty sure there is already a Stryker variant using them. I wonder if the missiles take up too much space or are too expensive or something.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

jimmy olsen

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on April 30, 2015, 10:46:51 PM
The TOW idea seems reasonable--and I'm pretty sure there is already a Stryker variant using them. I wonder if the missiles take up too much space or are too expensive or something.
Ammo would be pretty limited I'd imagine.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Tonitrus

This thread reminds me of that movie about the development of the Bradley.

Razgovory

Quote from: Tonitrus on May 01, 2015, 12:03:13 AM
This thread reminds me of that movie about the development of the Bradley.

Yeah, this what I thought of when I first heard about putting 30mm on Stryker.  If you simply replaced the MGS with a 30mm fire support vehicle it work okay, I think.  You could possibly put a one TOW launcher on the top of the vehicle, like the Russian BMPs that have a single anti-tank missile.  You don't want to over burden the thing though otherwise it loses it's main function, to transport soldiers.