Texas Sends Poor Teens To Adult Jail For Skipping School

Started by jimmy olsen, April 27, 2015, 01:37:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 27, 2015, 09:40:56 PM
She shouldn't have to go to court just for not going to class.

What, if anything, should happen to her for not going to class?

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 27, 2015, 10:04:21 PM

Flunk and get expelled.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 27, 2015, 10:04:21 PM

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 27, 2015, 10:11:45 PM
Flunk out of school, most likely.

You know, the same thing that would have ended up happening in the end without her being incarcerated at taxpayers' expense.  Whose pocket do you think that "credit for time served" comes out of, anyway?
Experience bij!

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: Peter WigginIt's news, not propaganda.

Nah.  It's a shitty hysterical piece that needs a better "main" subject. Guess they couldn't find one.  vOv

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 27, 2015, 09:10:22 PMFlunk and get expelled.

If she had gone to court, the JP could have just ordered her to get a GED, and she would be done with school.  That is a thing I know they can, and will, do. The bus ride was too long though.

E:  Well I shouldn't say "done with school."  They have them attend these...they're alternative schools, but not disciplinary....where they help them with passing the GED so they only have to take it once.  Can last up to a couple months, IIRC, so I don't know if Serena could have handled that.

Valmy

Quote from: HVC on April 27, 2015, 10:16:07 PM
What age can you drop out of school in Texas?

18, but we have billboards all over the place claiming that every 5 seconds 50 billion kids drop out of school and only you can help them get an education. Yet our prisons are not full of 16 year old high school drop outs.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 27, 2015, 01:37:22 AM
Looks like Ide is qualified to be a judge in Texas. :)

Well he would have to win an election which would be hard to do belonging to the Revolutionary Stalinist Party. I hope he has a catchy slogan.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Ed Anger

Quote from: PDH on April 27, 2015, 09:39:12 PM
I think all teens should be jailed.  At age 20 a reasonable court made up of crank old fucks decides if they live or if they die.

That is all.

Oh, and instead of dying the girls could be sent to Gor for re-education.

Lucullus makes a good point.

The ones sent to Gor need to be skinny. No fatties.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Valmy

Quote from: Ed Anger on April 28, 2015, 07:59:12 AM

I don't see how that would help Texas out then.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Valmy on April 28, 2015, 08:01:45 AM
Quote from: Ed Anger on April 28, 2015, 07:59:12 AM

I don't see how that would help Texas out then.

I was watching Imus this morning on FBN and there was a story about lifting the ban on deep fryers in the cafeterias down there.

Texas= AWESOME
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

garbon

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 27, 2015, 09:19:50 PM
It appears that she was jailed for failing to appear at court.

On the other hand, you shouldn't expect that you can just ignore a court summons.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

grumbler

Does Texas require children to go to school past age 16? It seems so, but that's pretty unusual.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Valmy

Quote from: grumbler on April 28, 2015, 08:24:26 AM
Does Texas require children to go to school past age 16? It seems so, but that's pretty unusual.

Yep. Until 18 unless you graduate early.

Malthus

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on April 28, 2015, 07:34:47 AM
Quote from: Peter WigginIt's news, not propaganda.

Nah.  It's a shitty hysterical piece that needs a better "main" subject. Guess they couldn't find one.  vOv

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 27, 2015, 09:10:22 PMFlunk and get expelled.

If she had gone to court, the JP could have just ordered her to get a GED, and she would be done with school.  That is a thing I know they can, and will, do. The bus ride was too long though.

E:  Well I shouldn't say "done with school."  They have them attend these...they're alternative schools, but not disciplinary....where they help them with passing the GED so they only have to take it once.  Can last up to a couple months, IIRC, so I don't know if Serena could have handled that.

The piece may be overwrought, but if the facts are anything like they are depicted, the system is ... not good.

Criminalizing what amounts to shiftlessness among teens (via non-payment of court fees for missing court dates) hardly seems like a great idea.

I know the notion is to incentivize non-shiftlessness, but the result appears to guarantee that a certain number of teens will end up in jail (at public expense, naturally) for, basically, being inattentive and motivationless. Given that some teens go through phases in which they are defiant, depressed, or unmotivated to help themselves - where they waste their time watiching TV, smoking pot, hanging with equally-loser friends, and ignoring what is good for them - only to snap out of it later, throwing them in jail and then flunking them out of school for non-attendance  may be a bad idea. What's in in aid of anyway - to make an example of them? To motivate them?

Is this really a good use of resources, let alone, is this just? In my opinion, jail should be reserved for actual offenders.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius