Texas Sends Poor Teens To Adult Jail For Skipping School

Started by jimmy olsen, April 27, 2015, 01:37:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: Malthus on April 28, 2015, 08:26:47 AM
Criminalizing what amounts to shiftlessness among teens (via non-payment of court fees for missing court dates) hardly seems like a great idea.

It's complicated. But for whatever reason our society seems to have few arrows in its quiver to deal with anti-social behavior like that. Which is what creates the infamous 'school to prison' pipeline.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

grumbler

Quote from: Valmy on April 28, 2015, 08:33:02 AM
It's complicated. But for whatever reason our society seems to have few arrows in its quiver to deal with anti-social behavior like that. Which is what creates the infamous 'school to prison' pipeline.

Indeed. There are those who think it best to "force" students to 'grow up' by threatening them if they don't.  Time works better than threats. Hunger is a better motivator than fear.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Malthus

Criminalizing what amounts to shiftlessness among teens (via non-payment of court fees for missing court dates) hardly seems like a great idea.

Just letting them not go to school would suck (it becomes really difficult to make up for in later life), but it would suck less than this.

Up here in Canada, I had friends who dropped out at a young age: one worked as a waitress for a couple of years: she went back when she realized that working at a pancake house for the rest of her life wasn't ideal, and without some education, it was pretty likely. [Of course then she married a trust fund kid, but that's another story.  ;) ]

It wasn't a good idea, but I don't think jailing her would have improved matters.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Martinus

Quote from: PDH on April 27, 2015, 09:39:12 PM
I think all teens should be jailed.  At age 20 a reasonable court made up of crank old fucks decides if they live or if they die.

That is all.

Oh, and instead of dying the girls could be sent to Gor for re-education.

Has Ed Anger stolen your password?

Martinus

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 27, 2015, 10:16:17 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 27, 2015, 10:04:21 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 27, 2015, 09:40:56 PM
She shouldn't have to go to court just for not going to class.

What, if anything, should happen to her for not going to class?
Flunk and get expelled.

That's not sufficient if there is law providing for compulsory school attendence.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Martinus on April 28, 2015, 09:10:45 AM
Quote from: PDH on April 27, 2015, 09:39:12 PM
I think all teens should be jailed.  At age 20 a reasonable court made up of crank old fucks decides if they live or if they die.

That is all.

Oh, and instead of dying the girls could be sent to Gor for re-education.

Has Ed Anger stolen your password?

Lucullus speaks for me in my absence.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Martinus

In a civilized countries you would deal with it by (i) penalising the parents, (ii) sending a social worker to the troubled kid. Sending a teenager to an adult jail for failing to do something that is only an obligation because it is for the teen's own good seems like the dumbest way one can address a problem like this, of all venues possible.

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on April 28, 2015, 09:14:59 AM

In a civilized countries you would deal with it by (i) penalising the parents,

This is what the intention is and what happens most of the time. But things get fuzzy when people reach certain ages. What they are going to put a 16 or 17 year old into foster care?

Quote(ii) sending a social worker to the troubled kid.

Again this is what happens most of the time.

QuoteSending a teenager to an adult jail for failing to do something that is only an obligation because it is for the teen's own good seems like the dumbest way one can address a problem like this, of all venues possible.

I guess I missed where I thought this was a good idea? Most people view this as a bug and not a feature.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: grumbler on April 28, 2015, 08:24:26 AM
Does Texas require children to go to school past age 16? It seems so, but that's pretty unusual.

It's either go to school or get a GED until 18. 

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: Valmy on April 28, 2015, 09:17:30 AM
I guess I missed where I thought this was a good idea? Most people view this as a bug and not a feature.

Yeah, there's something like 90,000 dropouts a year, plus some large number that leave high school and just get a GED.  Somehow, just about all of them seem to have been able to avoid what happened to Serena and co in the article, so these 1000 over three years don't appear to be a normal situation. 

JP Dickhead Nodegree who does this relatively regularly needs to be tossed.  And Serena needs to get off her lazy ass and get on the bus to Sugar Land next time.

grumbler

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on April 28, 2015, 09:25:41 AM
... JP Dickhead Nodegree who does this relatively regularly needs to be tossed. ...

I'm thinking that having no degree and bashing the lazy bums is why he keeps getting re-elected.  Texas, ya know.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Monoriu

I have always been a little uneasy about elected judges. 

garbon

Quote from: Monoriu on April 28, 2015, 10:15:13 PM

You are a little uneasy about elections so...:hmm:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Monoriu

Quote from: garbon on April 29, 2015, 02:29:14 AM
Quote from: Monoriu on April 28, 2015, 10:15:13 PM

You are a little uneasy about elections so...:hmm:

:D  That's a good catch.