Denmark gets its first bilingual town sign, uproar ensues

Started by Liep, April 22, 2015, 03:36:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

KRonn

What, no signs in English, Spanish, French, Swedish and Arabic? You guys are so insular!   ;)

Valmy

Quote from: KRonn on April 22, 2015, 12:52:53 PM
What, no signs in English, Spanish, French, Swedish and Arabic? You guys are so insular!   ;)

Flensburg
Flensburgo
Flensbourg
Flensborg
فلنسبورغ
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

KRonn

Quote from: Valmy on April 22, 2015, 12:56:30 PM
Quote from: KRonn on April 22, 2015, 12:52:53 PM

Flensburg
Flensburgo
Flensbourg
Flensborg
فلنسبورغ

Very cool!  :cool:

Valmy

I have done all the hard work. I expect Flensburg to update their sign accordingly  :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

KRonn

Quote from: Valmy on April 22, 2015, 01:27:19 PM
I have done all the hard work. I expect Flensburg to update their sign accordingly  :P

And you should get the royalties on all signs made with your Copyright (V).   :)

jimmy olsen

All the road signs in Korea are in Hangul and English.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Liep

Angry Jutes took it on themselves to get rid of this abomination, although they forgot to also hide it after they pulled it up from the ground. :hmm:

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Liep

Mayor H.P. Geil says that they won't bother putting it up again. The unilinguals have won!
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Zanza

Quote from: Liep on April 26, 2015, 05:04:40 AM
Mayor H.P. Geil says that they won't bother putting it up again. The unilinguals have won!
Vee haff vays of making you put up Deutsch signs.  :menace:

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Syt

Read an article today that the Danish paper Ekstra Bladet wrote an article about Angela Merkel's visit in Denmark, and managed to spell her name Mergel through the whole article:

The papers in Schleswig-Holstein joke that Danes are known to have problems with hard consonants.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Liep

I don't think that article is serious though. I can only read the quotes on my iPhone but they're ridiculous and so is the headline. Besides, Ekstra Bladet isn't really a newspaper.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Syt

The top women of Denmark and Germany.

Also, the Danish parliament voted in favor of having a bridge from Fehmarn to Denmark.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.