Denmark gets its first bilingual town sign, uproar ensues

Started by Liep, April 22, 2015, 03:36:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Liep

Much debate about this as it's just weeks after the marking of the 75th anniversary of the German invasion.

:yuk: :cry:
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Syt

There's been bilingual signs on the German side of the border since 2008:

Also, the political party of the Danish minority is even exempt from the 5% hurdle in state elections in Schleswig-Holstein, so they always have one or two delegates there (and have been the ones tipping scales in one or the other direction during votes more than once).

So calm your titties, please. :)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

A cursory investigation shows that there's quite a few towns in S-H now with bilingual signs, mostly Frisian but also Low German. :unsure:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Duque de Bragança

Danes need Flensborg to be Flensburg for cheap booze anyways. Much ado for nothing.

Liep

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on April 22, 2015, 03:56:02 AM
Danes need Flensborg to be Flensburg for cheap booze anyways. Much ado for nothing.

Only the Jutes benefit from that so if Flensburg was Flensborg we'd get more money from those conservative tax avoiding bastards.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Monoriu

All of our road signs are bilingual, in both Chinese and English.  So are our official websites and documents. 

Liep

Quote from: Syt on April 22, 2015, 03:51:58 AM
So calm your titties, please. :)

The biggest story in Denmark these last few days has been that Prince Henrik was too sick to attend the Queen's birthday party but was fine to fly to Venice the day after. So no, our titties will not be calmed when there's something to break the boredom of Danish news. :P

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Liep on April 22, 2015, 04:15:35 AM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on April 22, 2015, 03:56:02 AM

Only the Jutes benefit from that so if Flensburg was Flensborg we'd get more money from those conservative tax avoiding bastards.

The return of the Eternal Jute. Why no Sweet Jute?

Caliga

Quote from: Syt on April 22, 2015, 03:51:58 AM

I'm sure that without that translation it was impossible for Danes to tell where they were. :sleep:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Monoriu on April 22, 2015, 04:17:19 AM
All of our road signs are bilingual, in both Chinese and English.  So are our official websites and documents.

Do Cantonese and Mandarin read the same?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Monoriu

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 22, 2015, 06:50:18 AM
Quote from: Monoriu on April 22, 2015, 04:17:19 AM

Do Cantonese and Mandarin read the same?

This is complicated.  The written language is supposed to be the same.  BUT, (1) HK and Mainland use different Chinese characters.  We use traditional, they use simplified.  This has nothing to do with Cantonese and Mandarin.  HK, Macau and Taiwan use traditional, even though Taiwan also speak Mandarin.  (2) The speaking and writing forms in Cantonese are different.  The way Cantonese speak can be written down as is, but this is "improper".  The "proper" way to write is supposedly the same as Mandarin, though a lot of people can't tell the difference between proper and improper written Chinese.  (3) the mainland love inventing new trendy Chinese terms.  HKers are much more conservative and stick to traditional terms.  Relatively speaking. 

Jaron

Winner of THE grumbler point.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Liep

I just read that the mayor in Haderslev is named H.P. Geil, no wonder he's excited about the translation.