News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

NCAA Football 2015

Started by grumbler, April 12, 2015, 10:10:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: alfred russel on November 30, 2015, 04:56:57 PM
I think firing Mark Richt was a bad move.

Realistically, how often do you expect a good coach to win the SEC East at Georgia? Say 1 year in 3?

So if winning half of SEC Championship games, that means an SEC title 1 year in 6?

Mark Richt was 6 for 15 for SEC East titles, and 2 for 15 in SEC titles.

He was 9-3 this year--in a year they didn't have a good QB, although he has produced a ton of them in recent years.

Supposedly Kirby Smart is going to be the guy at UGA, but coordinators without head coaching experience are a crapshoot--the guy basically has the resume that Richt did when Richt left FSU, only Richt has proven to be a competent head coach. Maybe he will be the next Nick Saban, but I think it is more likely he is the next Will Muschamp.

100% agree. The Georgia boosters must just be in a playoff frenzy or something. It makes no sense. But hey, Jim Tressel is available.  :P
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

dps

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on November 30, 2015, 05:16:47 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on November 30, 2015, 04:56:57 PM
I think firing Mark Richt was a bad move.

Realistically, how often do you expect a good coach to win the SEC East at Georgia? Say 1 year in 3?

So if winning half of SEC Championship games, that means an SEC title 1 year in 6?

Mark Richt was 6 for 15 for SEC East titles, and 2 for 15 in SEC titles.

He was 9-3 this year--in a year they didn't have a good QB, although he has produced a ton of them in recent years.

Supposedly Kirby Smart is going to be the guy at UGA, but coordinators without head coaching experience are a crapshoot--the guy basically has the resume that Richt did when Richt left FSU, only Richt has proven to be a competent head coach. Maybe he will be the next Nick Saban, but I think it is more likely he is the next Will Muschamp.

100% agree. The Georgia boosters must just be in a playoff frenzy or something. It makes no sense. But hey, Jim Tressel is available.  :P

I think it's a situation where the perception is that the team has hit its ceiling with Richt, and that the team has very often not performed up to its talent level under him.  It may be the case that they've hit their ceiling with him, but I think the reason they've seemed to underperform is that they've been consistently over-rated heading into the season.

And as far as hitting a ceiling under a given coach, well, the track record of schools firing the coach because 9-3 wasn't good enough isn't encouraging.  Look at WVU.  Three seasons of 9-3 under Bill Stewart got him ridiculed as being Luther van Dam, and then replaced in a very messy transition, and while that wasn't entirely without reason, 9-3 probably looks pretty good in Morgantown about now.

alfred russel

Quote from: dps on November 30, 2015, 09:26:03 PM

I think it's a situation where the perception is that the team has hit its ceiling with Richt, and that the team has very often not performed up to its talent level under him.  It may be the case that they've hit their ceiling with him, but I think the reason they've seemed to underperform is that they've been consistently over-rated heading into the season.

And as far as hitting a ceiling under a given coach, well, the track record of schools firing the coach because 9-3 wasn't good enough isn't encouraging.  Look at WVU.  Three seasons of 9-3 under Bill Stewart got him ridiculed as being Luther van Dam, and then replaced in a very messy transition, and while that wasn't entirely without reason, 9-3 probably looks pretty good in Morgantown about now.

I think it was 3 years ago that the team was in the SEC championship game against Alabama, winner going to the national title game against Notre Dame, UGA down by 4, maybe 15 seconds on the clock, UGA with a first down at the Alabama 5.

At that point, odds are that UGA wins the game, the SEC, and considering how Notre Dame played in the actual game, the national title.

What happens? The ball is slightly deflected at the line, goes right to a UGA player short of the goal line that was not the intended receiver, he is tackled short of the goal line, and Alabama wins. Total fluke play, had nothing to do with whether Saban or Richt was the better coach.

He could win a national title--it is just a matter of getting the breaks. There are 130 teams in college football and only one wins the national title each year. Unless you are a good enough coach to establish a truly dominant program--and very few are--you aren't going to win a national title without a few breaks. Most years UGA has been competitive for an SEC title--that basically means competitive for a national title as well.

I'll be happy if Richt ends up coaching at Miami, even if he isn't my number one choice.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Valmy

Hell Texas has never won the national title without getting breaks.

A&M fumbling the game winning interception in 1963
The bomb on 4th and short against Arkansas in 1969
The Hail Mary to beat UCLA in 1970
Ohio State missing the critical field goal (and the Tight End dropping a TD) in 2005, and then somehow stopping USC on 4th and 2.

Though I guess those two 4th down plays were just good execution but they sure felt like luck at the time.

Very rarely does anybody just roll down easy street like DA U used to. Haha just kidding they had to rely on Florida State's inexplicable special teams failures.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

alfred russel

Quote from: Valmy on November 30, 2015, 09:51:31 PM
Hell Texas has never won the national title without getting breaks.

A&M fumbling the game winning interception in 1963
The bomb on 4th and short against Arkansas in 1969
The Hail Mary to beat UCLA in 1970
Ohio State missing the critical field goal (and the Tight End dropping a TD) in 2005, and then somehow stopping USC on 4th and 2.

Very rarely does anybody just roll down easy street like DA U used to. Haha just kidding they had to rely on Florida State's inexplicable special teams failures.

UM national titles:

1983: Nebraska 2 point play was no good, if Nebraska just kicked the extra point they were champs
1987: UM came back from 16 down at FSU in the fourth quarter, it came down to an FSU 2 point conversion that FSU didn't get
1989: Don't remember any decisive close calls (Miami did lose to FSU by 14)
1991: FSU wide right on a 30 something yard field goal as time expired, won by a point
2001: A shitty BC team was driving for the win with less than a minute to go and were inside the 20, when Ed Reed ran back an interception for a touchdown
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

Valmy

Quote from: alfred russel on November 30, 2015, 09:56:43 PM
1991: FSU wide right on a 30 something yard field goal as time expired, won by a point

Still makes me giggle
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

katmai

1991 UDub only beat California by 7, rest of the games they won by at least 11. In fact besides the Cal and USC game (14-3 win) the avg score was 45-9.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Valmy

Quote from: katmai on November 30, 2015, 10:20:28 PM
1991 UDub only beat California by 7, rest of the games they won by at least 11. In fact besides the Cal and USC game (14-3 win) the avg score was 45-9.

I like the FU to Desmond Howard at the end of the Rose Bowl. I didn't realize how much until he flaked out on the Redskins a few years later.

Admiral Yi

Celery Vikinged a fodbol post then Mongered it.

celedhring

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 02, 2015, 05:42:10 PM

I saw "football" and posted in the wrong thread  :blush:

Or actually the right thread, you just should move all the handegg talk somewhere else.

alfred russel

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on December 02, 2015, 07:55:48 PM
Mark Richt to Miami: http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/writer/dennis-dodd/25398542/mark-richt-agrees-to-become-miamis-next-coach

Parts of the fan base will never be happy that a coach who previously took over the team facing severe NCAA penalties and built one of the all time great NCAA teams just got passed over.

But for the first time in a long time, Miami has a really solid head coach. Things should get better.

grumbler

Quote from: celedhring on December 02, 2015, 05:48:53 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 02, 2015, 05:42:10 PM

I saw "football" and posted in the wrong thread  :blush:

Or actually the right thread, you just should move all the handegg talk somewhere else.

Take your headball talk somewhere else.  Or learn what the "foot" in "football" refers to.  Hint:  it's not part of the human body.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!