And we're back!

Main Menu

NCAA Football 2015

Started by grumbler, April 12, 2015, 10:10:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: dps on November 28, 2015, 11:12:00 PM
Quote from: derspiess on November 28, 2015, 10:59:59 PM
That's fine but IIRC the ACC didn't want WVU.  I think the Big12 was the only Power 5 conference that wanted them.  If they hadn't taken that offer they'd be stuck in the All American Conference most likely.

Yeah, that's probably right, but it doesn't mean I have to like it.

I don't think anybody is particularly happy about the current arrangements. Do the ACC, Big 10, and SEC fans like their new bloated monstrosities? Eh maybe. I vastly prefer the old fashioned playing everybody every year in football and home and home in Basketball. The current Big 12 seems like the least shitty deal to me.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

MadBurgerMaker

Valmy

We won't have Mark Richt to kick around anymore  :(
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 29, 2015, 03:53:46 AM
Notre Dame :weep:

Yeah thanks for handing a playoff spot to OU. Bastards.

Eddie Teach

Well... :mellow:

I would have loved a championship, but Richt was a great recruiter and always put together teams that could compete. Had a few near misses. Beat Georgia Tech 13 times. I'm sorry to see him go, and I don't hold out much hope the next coach will be more successful.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

alfred russel

Quote from: Valmy on November 29, 2015, 01:53:15 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 29, 2015, 03:53:46 AM
Notre Dame :weep:

Yeah thanks for handing a playoff spot to OU. Bastards.

Nd was 6 in the last playoff poll, and ou 3. With ou blowing out osu to win the big 12, i dont think anything would have gotten nd ahead of ou.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Eddie Teach

So assuming the spots are set to go to Clemson, Bama, OU, and the Sparty-Iowa winner, who do you all think gets in if NC or Florida get an upset?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

alfred russel

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on November 29, 2015, 03:40:14 PM
So assuming the spots are set to go to Clemson, Bama, OU, and the Sparty-Iowa winner, who do you all think gets in if NC or Florida get an upset?

Interesting question, with the caveat that UF won't beat Alabama. UF doesn't have the offense, and while it has a great defense, is vulnerable to the run. The more likely scenario may be: what if North Carolina beats Clemson?

If Stanford beats USC, I think it is Stanford. They are 9th in the latest rankings, and the only team ahead of them that they would need to leapfrog without is Ohio State. Stanford beating ND (higher ranked than Michigan), and USC, with a Pac 12 championship, should be enough to do that. There is of course the chance that Alabama hangs on--but the strength of schedule argument is close between Stanford and Alabama, they would have the same record, and Stanford won its division.

If Stanford loses...Alabama stays in the playoff, or it goes to Ohio State? What if Iowa wins a nail biter? It might be tough to give the spot to Ohio State ahead of Michigan State, given that Michigan State played a better regular season schedule, had the same record as Ohio State, beat them head to head, and won the division.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

dps

If Florida beats Alabama (extremely unlikely) then my guess would be that Sanford gets in if they win the PAC 10.  If Sanford loses the Pac 10 title game, then Ohio State might slip back in, but more likely it would be Florida.

Even if NC beats Clemson (more likely than Florida beating Alabama, but still very unlikely), NC isn't getting into the top 4.  My guess would be that Ohio State gets in then, though I don't think that they deserve to.

If NC and Florida both should somehow manage to win then the top 4 would likely be Oklahoma, the MSU/Iowa winner, Stanford (if they win the PAC 10) and Florida.  I guess if Stanford loses in this scenario, that might be the only way NC gets in, but even then, I think Ohio State would get in ahead of them, though then it might make a difference who wins the Big 10 title game.

alfred russel

Quote from: dps on November 29, 2015, 04:59:34 PM

If Florida beats Alabama (extremely unlikely) then my guess would be that Sanford gets in if they win the PAC 10.  If Sanford loses the Pac 10 title game, then Ohio State might slip back in, but more likely it would be Florida.

Even if NC beats Clemson (more likely than Florida beating Alabama, but still very unlikely), NC isn't getting into the top 4.  My guess would be that Ohio State gets in then, though I don't think that they deserve to.

If NC and Florida both should somehow manage to win then the top 4 would likely be Oklahoma, the MSU/Iowa winner, Stanford (if they win the PAC 10) and Florida.  I guess if Stanford loses in this scenario, that might be the only way NC gets in, but even then, I think Ohio State would get in ahead of them, though then it might make a difference who wins the Big 10 title game.

The problem with florida getting in is that they are a 2 loss team that did not play an especially difficult schedule (given the softness of the SEC East). Against that schedule they did not look especially strong--see the last two weeks--dominated by FSU and overtime against FAU. Their starting quarterback is out on a drug suspension.

If North Carolina wins, not only do I think North Carolina will be ahead of them, I think Clemson may be as well. In fact, I'd say it is almost 100% UNC will be ahead of them--right now UNC is 14 and UF 12--considering what happened last weekend, UNC will be ahead of them in this week's poll, and UNC will have beaten the #1 team in the country-I don't see an opportunity for UF to get ahead of UNC without a UNC loss.

Ed Anger

Quote from: grumbler on November 26, 2015, 06:29:08 PM
Hate Week continues; this time, The Taiwanese Animators get involved:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zHeLCDtQVo

Note that even the Taiwanese can tell the good guys from the bad guys in this game.

Huh.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Valmy

Quote from: alfred russel on November 29, 2015, 04:07:45 PM
Interesting question, with the caveat that UF won't beat Alabama. UF doesn't have the offense, and while it has a great defense, is vulnerable to the run. The more likely scenario may be: what if North Carolina beats Clemson?

In my opinion it will be that one loss conference champ who just bumped off the #1 team. So North Carolina.

alfred russel

Quote from: Valmy on November 29, 2015, 09:18:15 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on November 29, 2015, 04:07:45 PM

In my opinion it will be that one loss conference champ who just bumped off the #1 team. So North Carolina.

That could be. But I think UNC gets passed over for Stanford--and if they do it is justice imo.

UNC out of conference schedule: South Carolina, NC A&T, Illinois, Delaware
Stanford out of conference schedule: Northwestern, UCF, Notre Dame

First, take note that Stanford only plays 3 out of conference games, because the Pac 12 plays a 9 game schedule. That should be a big bonus to them. Also, while UCF is putrid this year, they are an FBS team that won the Fiesta Bowl a couple years ago, and both Northwestern and Notre Dame are 10-2 power conference teams.

UNC played 2 FCS teams, and the playoff committee took note--they cited this as a reason they ranked them down in the polls earlier this year. Neither of the other two teams are anything to write home about--between the two of them they won 8 games this year.

So Stanford wins the Pac 12, which on balance is generally considered better than the ACC, and schedules a monster out of conference schedule on top of playing an extra conference game.

That should offset an extra loss, considering UNC played one of the worst out of conference schedules you can set up, plus even played in the really weak side of the ACC and didn't draw FSU or Clemson (or Louisville) in the regular season (ie, the ACC teams with a pulse).

Admiral Yi

Northwestern is 10-2?  How the hell did that happen?