News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

NCAA Football 2015

Started by grumbler, April 12, 2015, 10:10:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: dps on October 11, 2015, 07:23:53 AM
Michigan, Duke, and Boston College are all averaging less than 10 points allow per game, which is pretty amazing--as you say, 1940s stuff.  BC only has a 3-3 record to show for it, but when you lose 9-7 and 3-0, well, obviously it doesn't take many points to beat you, and playing 2 FCS opponents will help keep your PA low, too.

Duke is the one among those that surprises me.  Yeah, one of their games is against SC Central, but two were against what were (at least then) top-20 teams.  Cutcliffe has been building towards this, but I didn't expect them to be nearly this (apparently) good this season.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

alfred russel

Also, there are a fuckton of good games next weekend.

UCLA Stanford
FSU Louisville
Baylor West Virginia
Miami Virginia Tech (nope, it isn't 2000 anymore)
Alabama aTm
Oklahoma Kansas State (nope, it isn't last weekend anymore)
Michigan Michigan State
Florida LSU
Notre Dame USC
Ohio State Penn State
Utah Arizona State
Oregon Washington (to answer the question: how hard can you beat a corpse infected with dysentery without contracting it?)
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: grumbler on October 11, 2015, 06:18:36 AM
So, Gameday will be in Ann Arbor for the MSU game next week.  But, if things go as expected, won't they really want to be there for the OSU game Nov 28?  Does Gameday ever repeat at a location in a season?  Or, are they just taking the bird in hand?

As of now, it's the game between highest-ranking opponents. At air time, it may not be.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

grumbler

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on October 11, 2015, 01:25:06 PM
As of now, it's the game between highest-ranking opponents. At air time, it may not be.
How can the rankings change between now and air time?  Don't all of the ones they use for these things come out on Sundays?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

alfred russel

Sark is going on a leave of absence from USC.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: grumbler on October 11, 2015, 04:28:29 PM
How can the rankings change between now and air time?  Don't all of the ones they use for these things come out on Sundays?

Between now and Nov. 28th I meant.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Valmy

Quote from: alfred russel on October 11, 2015, 04:35:32 PM

Alcoholism is an ugly thing.

USC really has to rethink its screening and vetting process for football coaches.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

alfred russel

Quote from: Valmy on October 11, 2015, 04:47:42 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on October 11, 2015, 04:35:32 PM

Alcoholism is an ugly thing.

USC really has to rethink its screening and vetting process for football coaches.

Random internet rumor I've seen is that he showed up to the football offices hammered and in no condition to coach.

The thing is, he coached there as a coordinator. He should have been a known quantity. If this is really the deal, USC probably should and probably will fire him. His wins and losses already had him on something like a hot seat, and he was never a popular hire. What will it do to recruiting to have a limbo type of situation if he isn't fired?

Valmy

Lane Kiffin was an assistant there as well. One would think they knew what a douchebag he was.

Both of those hires were manifestly stupid. I don't get what they are doing there.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

katmai

Dorsey,

He is going through divorce, and there to my knowledge was never any issues with him and being drunk while at UDub, so either he hid it really well or it is something that has become an issue since moving down to 'SC
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

grumbler

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on October 11, 2015, 04:37:24 PM
Quote from: grumbler on October 11, 2015, 04:28:29 PM

Between now and Nov. 28th I meant.

Oh.  Yeah, that's the "bird in the hand" part I mentioned.

And it turns out that Gameday went to FSU twice last year (Clemson and Notre Dame) so my earlier impression was incorrect.  They'll be back for The Game, I am sure.

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: katmai on October 11, 2015, 05:28:35 PM
Dorsey,

He is going through divorce, and there to my knowledge was never any issues with him and being drunk while at UDub, so either he hid it really well or it is something that has become an issue since moving down to 'SC

Dunno.  There were some rumblings on some of the Husky sites that he was getting a lot of strange and had an alcohol problem (those only coming to wider light since the news he was shitcanned... er, suspended).  While they are totally unsubstantiated, they indicate a possible problem while Sark was at UDub. 

I don't think any team has done less with more than USC since he got there (although in that he was just carrying on recent USC tradition).

Bayraktar!

sbr

Quote from: grumbler on October 11, 2015, 05:48:58 PM
Quote from: katmai on October 11, 2015, 05:28:35 PM
Dorsey,

Dunno.  There were some rumblings on some of the Husky sites that he was getting a lot of strange and had an alcohol problem (those only coming to wider light since the news he was shitcanned... er, suspended).  While they are totally unsubstantiated, they indicate a possible problem while Sark was at UDub. 

I don't think any team has done less with more than USC since he got there (although in that he was just carrying on recent USC tradition).

Yep, it seems to be a pretty well known secret that Sark was a hard drinker and partier, and had been for a while.  I didn't hear anyone who was surprised at his Salute to Troy banquet shenanigans, maybe the magnitude but not that he showed up so smashed he had an ass of himself.

katmai

I've never read any such reports, so would love links to such things.
Biggest complaint was what was reiterated this past week, good at recruiting, but on game day was out coached too often, didn't have team prepped.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

grumbler

Here's some stuff from 2013.  Take it for what it's worth, which isn't much other than to show that rumors did exist. http://hardcorehusky.com/forums/#/discussion/4114/the-official-sark-s-nights-on-the-town-thread

Bayraktar!