News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

NCAA Football 2015

Started by grumbler, April 12, 2015, 10:10:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berkut

I am at a loss to predict an Arizona record. They should be very good - but the Pac-12 South is just ridiculous. There is going to be a couple very good teams with quite a few losses in that conference this year.

I could see them ending anywhere from first to fourth. Basically, I think predicting the order of USC, UCLA, ASU, and Arizona is basically a crap shoot. And hell, Utah probably has the best defense in the conference, so toss them in the mix while we are at it. Colorado however, is still pretty bad.

I would be pretty happy with 1 9 win season, 10 would be incredible - and that is with a total cupcake non-conference schedule.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

MadBurgerMaker

My "I know next to nothing about the teams!" guess:

UCLA
ASU
Arizona
USC
Utah
Colorado

That's a good division.  Well except Colorado, as you said.

Valmy

How about Baylor accepting that abuser transfer and then covering up for his rape? Baylor going to Baylor. It is amazing what they will tolerate over there.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Eddie Teach

Colorado's gonna turn it around this year and go to the Rose Bowl.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on August 21, 2015, 09:22:20 AM
Colorado's gonna turn it around this year and go to the Rose Bowl.

Yes they will. On October 31st. Be sure to dress up!
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

grumbler

Quote from: Valmy on August 21, 2015, 09:12:44 AM
How about Baylor accepting that abuser transfer and then covering up for his rape? Baylor going to Baylor. It is amazing what they will tolerate over there.

Quite the dark story.  I'm hoping for some lawsuits and shit-cannings over this.  It's disgraceful, even for Baylor.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Valmy

Yep. Art Briles may be a little too old school in all the wrong ways. Glad UT didn't bring that shit here.

It is going to be hard for it to get much traction in Waco unless outside forces intervene though.

Ok CNN and company are going in. Justice might be done.

Valmy

Ok this is blowing up. Briles has got to be finished. Amazing.

alfred russel

Quote from: Valmy on August 21, 2015, 02:04:41 PM

Why? Assuming there isn't conclusive evidence that Briles is lying of course.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Valmy

Quote from: alfred russel on August 21, 2015, 06:01:52 PM
Quote from: Valmy on August 21, 2015, 02:04:41 PM

Why? Assuming there isn't conclusive evidence that Briles is lying of course.

Well lets see.

He brought a player on campus who had a history of domestic abuse. Within a few months that player violently raped a female student athlete. No serious investigation is launched. The player stays on campus and is not removed from the team, scholarship intact, despite being charged and indicted. Meanwhile his victim has her scholarship removed (not quite as bad as it sounds but close) and eventually she leaves school. He is ready to bring this guy back on the team so long as he is innocent of the charges as if Briles, the dude 100% responsible for this situation, could not be bothered to make a call based on the evidence himself. Oh and the whole thing is hid from the media for two years obviously so they can bring him back with no fuss.

But really the whole country knows about it. The Waco machine cannot eat it up like they do with normal Baylor shenanigans.

dps

Quote from: Valmy on August 21, 2015, 07:45:40 PM
The player stays on campus and is not removed from the team, scholarship intact, despite being charged and indicted... ...He is ready to bring this guy back on the team so long as he is innocent of the charges as if Briles, the dude 100% responsible for this situation, could not be bothered to make a call based on the evidence himself.

While the player's past history makes it worse in this case (and the fact that Petersen allegedly made Briles aware of it), I'm not entirely comfortable with the idea of taking someone's scholarship and kicking them out of school based solely on an accusation.

QuoteOh and the whole thing is hid from the media for two years obviously so they can bring him back with no fuss.

How was it hidden from the media if he was indicted?

alfred russel

Quote from: Valmy on August 21, 2015, 07:45:40 PM

Well lets see.

He brought a player on campus who had a history of domestic abuse. Within a few months that player violently raped a female student athlete. No serious investigation is launched. The player stays on campus and is not removed from the team, scholarship intact, despite being charged and indicted. Meanwhile his victim has her scholarship removed (not quite as bad as it sounds but close) and eventually she leaves school. He is ready to bring this guy back on the team so long as he is innocent of the charges as if Briles, the dude 100% responsible for this situation, could not be bothered to make a call based on the evidence himself. Oh and the whole thing is hid from the media for two years obviously so they can bring him back with no fuss.

But really the whole country knows about it. The Waco machine cannot eat it up like they do with normal Baylor shenanigans.

It isn't like he admitted the guy to the school. Normally admissions has the main say in stuff like this, as well as discipline for players that are in trouble with the law. Also, he isn't responsible for whether the player stays on campus. Plus what dps said.

I really don't get the outrage about player crimes and holding coaches responsible. So this guy was bad news--probably a serious risk to rape or otherwise abuse women. Baylor didn't make him such a risk. By bringing him on campus, Baylor kept him from being a risk in some other community and brought the risk to their campus. Had they not done so, the risk would have been left somewhere other than Baylor. Either way, the collective risk to the women of America is unchanged.

Now I can see why members of the Baylor community would be upset, but that doesn't seem to be where a lot of the outrage is coming from.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

Valmy

Quote from: dps on August 21, 2015, 08:28:41 PM
How was it hidden from the media if he was indicted?

Because it was? It took an investigation by Texas Monthly two years after the incident took place for it to get out. Now granted it was all public record but you have to actually, you know, look it up.

QuoteWhile the player's past history makes it worse in this case (and the fact that Petersen allegedly made Briles aware of it), I'm not entirely comfortable with the idea of taking someone's scholarship and kicking them out of school based solely on an accusation.

I am curious what you saw in my post that led you to think this was the case. We had an incident at UT where a student was raped by two football players. Coach Strong suspended them, looked into it, and kicked them out. That was that in just a couple days.  Did you read my post?

Valmy

Quote from: alfred russel on August 21, 2015, 09:18:33 PM

It isn't like he admitted the guy to the school. Normally admissions has the main say in stuff like this, as well as discipline for players that are in trouble with the law.

Sure lets just pass it around the bureaucracy. The coach is not responsible for making decisions about the football team. It is some nameless bureaucrat. The only reason this dude was on campus was because of Briles. It was Briles decision that he stay on scholarship and maybe play again. I have a hard time thinking such a nonexistent joke of an investigation happens if that guy is not a football player.

QuoteAlso, he isn't responsible for whether the player stays on campus. Plus what dps said.

Really? A coach has no standards or team rules that can remove a player from a team, even if he comes in with a prior record of this sort of behavior? And what did dps say besides make a strawman claim I never made?

QuoteI really don't get the outrage about player crimes and holding coaches responsible. So this guy was bad news--probably a serious risk to rape or otherwise abuse women. Baylor didn't make him such a risk. By bringing him on campus, Baylor kept him from being a risk in some other community and brought the risk to their campus. Had they not done so, the risk would have been left somewhere other than Baylor. Either way, the collective risk to the women of America is unchanged.

:unsure: What now?

QuoteNow I can see why members of the Baylor community would be upset, but that doesn't seem to be where a lot of the outrage is coming from.

Sorry?

alfred russel

Quote from: Valmy on August 21, 2015, 09:29:10 PM

I am curious what you saw in my post that led you to think this was the case. We had an incident at UT where a student was raped by two football players. Coach Strong suspended them, looked into it, and kicked them out. That was that in just a couple days.  Did you read my post?

Let me point out there are two approaches to discipline.

There is the Charlie Strong method, which is lauded by everyone, that has a current win / loss record at UT that is going to result in a rather short tenure if it doesn't improve.

Then there is the Jimbo Fisher method, which involves Jameis Winston QBing the team to a national title and heisman trophy. This method will likely end up with a statue to Jimbo Fisher outside the stadium (which may have a part named for him) if results continue and he sticks around. It might also involve his wife seeing his approach to morality and deciding it is okay to get banged by her personal trainer half her age and a UF grad, though that could be for other unrelated reasons (such as inabilty to perform in the bedroom).