News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

No Kids for Me, Thanks

Started by garbon, April 06, 2015, 10:34:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Quote from: Malthus on April 06, 2015, 10:56:04 AM
Article strikes me as the other side of the coin to baby-as-a-fashion-statement.

Both are equally vapid.  :lol:

Ok, Mr. $2000 Stroller.  ;)

Malthus

Quote from: Martinus on April 06, 2015, 12:06:40 PM
Article strikes me as the other side of the coin to baby-as-a-fashion-statement.

Well, yes, babies as fancy fashion accessories can, as I pointed out, also be pretty vapid.

However, I do get the impression that the authors interviewed for that article failed to get the memo that the title of the book they were writing for -  "Selfish, Shallow, and Self-Absorbed: Sixteen Writers on the Decision Not to Have Kids," was supposed to be ironic.  :P

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Josquius

I want Japanese kids.
Not just because it means I have a very nicely aging Japanese partner of course. Though that would be great. But they just seem so much better behaved than the little shits in Europe.
██████
██████
██████

Malthus

I loved this part.

QuoteAnd the children in these offerings are repeatedly depicted as the bratty, tyrannical rulers of their enslaved progenitors. Perhaps this is one reason that Andrea Dickstein, 34, a director of e-business and marketing communications who lives on Long Island, doesn't want children.

"I think about having to attend or host children's birthday parties, and it seems exhausting and unappealing," she said. "Of course, the irony is I'm attending a colleague's 2-year-old's party this weekend. Maybe they'll think I'm there to kidnap one."

Because if there is one person I'd want at my kid's birthday party, its a director of e-business and marketing communications.  :lol: Almost as much fun as a clown, or a magician.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

garbon

Well clowns are fun so...toss up?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Monoriu

I can't imagine having kids.  Both of us are exhausted when we get home after 8pm or later.  Still have to cook and all that.  Can't imagine where to put the kid when we are both away during the day.  Can't imagine having to put up with school work at 9 or 10 in the evening.  Can't imagine how we can ensure that the kid will find employment that supports buying a flat, as the average flat now sells for US$1 million here, and average income is like US$15k a year.  Can't imagine having to join an additional rat race from a new perspective before the kid is even born.  Can't imagine having to help the kid with homework, extra-curriculars, exams, medical, and everything during the weekends.  Can't imagine dragging the kid along when we travel.  Can't imagine paying for a table of 3 instead of 2. 

Berkut

I can't imagine living in such a hell hole.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Malthus

Quote from: Berkut on April 06, 2015, 03:32:49 PM
I can't imagine living in such a hell hole.

Well, at least you know where you stand in a hell hole.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rk9aThIovMA

;)

Ideologue

Considering that there are about four billion more people than there should be, having a child is a matter of the gravest concern.  Really, few should be having children in 2015.  In fact, few should even be permitted to have children in 2015.  Seven billion is not a lucky number.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: Ideologue on April 06, 2015, 05:07:48 PM
Considering that there are about four billion more people than there should be, having a child is a matter of the gravest concern.  Really, few should be having children in 2015.  In fact, few should even be permitted to have children in 2015.  Seven billion is not a lucky number.

The only certain thing is that people should not be basing their decisions on procreation on numbers you pulled out of your ass.

Josquius

The developed world needs more kids. Everyone should strive to do their part for the average and have 3
██████
██████
██████

jimmy olsen

Did Malthus actually buy that stroller? The story happened so long ago I've forgotten how it went.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

garbon

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 06, 2015, 06:00:19 PM

Did Malthus actually buy that stroller? The story happened so long ago I've forgotten how it went.

Yes he did.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Ideologue on April 06, 2015, 05:07:48 PM

I'll use your quota then.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on April 06, 2015, 06:09:31 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 06, 2015, 06:00:19 PM

Yes he did.

No he didn't :lol:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."